• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

TX Llano River flooding OCT16 2018

I couldn't find the story on the television sites, but last nights news said a TXDOT ribbon cutting on the 21st and ready for Memorial Day traffic.
Amazing pace considering timeline.

I'm impressed they could do a design, let a contract and complete the construction that fast.
Bet they were a little on edge today when that thunderstorm went through during the pour.
Once those concrete pump trucks are pumping they don't like to pause for very long.

I couldn't find the story on the television sites, but last nights news said a TXDOT ribbon cutting on the 21st and ready for Memorial Day traffic.

Seven days to ribbon cutting, it will be interesting to see what is done assuming today's pour was the last section landing on the South shore pier/foundation. What final details will be left after ribbon cutting?????

Be a few days to get the rails poured on the last section.

But yes, it is amazing TXDOT could get such a thing done in this amount of time, it is a testament to them and the people of Texas. Very few places in this world left which can do something like that.

GD

Going out that way Friday to see if The Slab crossing is dry for a group lunch ride Saturday...some folks
do not like my low water crossings...:dunno The long way is boring and traffic heavy going thru Marble Falls or far to the west thru Llano.

I'll swing by the south side if the weather cooperates.

I just rode over the Slab tonight. Light water over the road at one area, but easily crossed.

Thanks, with the rain in the Llano watershed yesterday, was thinking it would be a bit deep. Could still be in a day as that works downstream.
I discovered some just do not like any water...and need to accommodate all. We have gotten our boots wet a few times on that and Scotts Crossing west of Llano among others:dance

Seven days to ribbon cutting,

Good timing for me. The weather has improved here and been able to bicycle ride and do yard work the last 3 days :)
The bridge cam was good entertainment during winter and the wet cold spring.

Got rained out, but the next group trip will be a legal crossing and no detour:dance

I got yelled at when the Blanco River flood Fischer bridge rebuild was in progress and I GS'd down the rock crossing under the bridge. A TXDOT inspector frowned and was yelling at my inspection process:dunno

A TXDOT inspector frowned and was yelling at my inspection process:dunno

Some people have no sense of humor at all................:dunno

It will be interesting to see the ribbon cutting Monday on a less than complete crossing. They worked long day today but still saving money on single shifts. They must think it will be usable by next Friday.

GD

Looks like Friday the 24th is it now, what a traffic jam that will be with all the suits trying to take credit for 5 minutes each.

https://www.dailytrib.com/2019/05/15/construction-on-new-rm-2900-bridge-nearing-its-end/

Still a monumental task completed in good time by the regular working folks of Texas who actually pulled it off, from engineering to floor sweeper.

GD

Streetlights

Yea, they are under the gun now. Yesterday afternoon had concrete crew, electrical crew, metal railing crew, asphalt paving crew doing the South road and were all squeezed in there. When I looked mid-afternoon I counted 27 hard hats could be seen. Most I had ever seen.

GD

Last edited:
That will really light up the bridge with over the water fixtures...should be quite visible! Worker bees are definitely busy.
I would like to see the huge section of decking they found downstream if they haven't broken it down...that was crazy seeing it roll in the current like a piece of plywood.

Going to try to make the hullabaloo if my schedule allows.Then grab a bite at Boat Town which may actually get crowded now. :eat

I would like to see the huge section of decking they found downstream if they haven't broken it down...that was crazy seeing it roll in the current like a piece of plywood.

Good reminder of the power of water.
That will be a fun day if you get to go this next weekend.

Yea, they are under the gun now. Yesterday afternoon had concrete crew, electrical crew, metal railing crew, asphalt paving crew doing the South road and were all squeezed in there. When I looked mid-afternoon I counted 27 hard hats could be seen. Most I had ever seen.

GD

I checked a couple times yesterday and it was really crowded on the bridge :)
I spoke too soon the other day about our weather getting better.
40s and rain today.

Back