• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

TX Llano River flooding OCT16 2018

I figured you got enough freezing weather that the DOT would salt the bridges.
Maybe it does not happen enough to be a issue.

You're right about exposed steel being left bare on some structures now.

Back in the '70s and '80s there was a lot of use of "Corten" (sp?) steel. It was polished and then left to oxidize (rust) naturally. It would turn reddish orange but not get crusty. It was used as a "design feature" and was a bit of a fad. Minnesota used it for support columns and beams at some new Interstate rest areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

The High Trestle bicycle bridge at the upper end of Saylorville Lake has uncoated guard rails, and whatever you call the upper decorative structure.

8-12-16 (2).jpg

KellyGreen2.JPG

You guys are in love with this bridge. :ha

Because it goes somewhere:dance

I have that route as an automatic in my head and have headed to cross the river there a few times recently...and remember about the time a u-turn is required :banghead

The LCRA is going to raise the level on Lake LBJ for Spring Breakers ahead of the original plan of another month or so, assuming politics and tourism dollars played a part. Still submerged boats and docks and flood debris breaking the surface at lower level. Folks who scheduled repairs to property including docks and cleanup may not happen this year now. Crazy to let folks unaware of hazards out on lakes, but seems they will.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/aus...mmodate-residents-local-businesses/1765667413
Have not seen if they located the remnants of the concrete decking of the knocked down bridge seen rolling in the flood current in earlier posts.

Last edited:
You guys are in love with this bridge. :ha

Guilty :)
I find this kind of stuff very interesting.
Wish they had a 2nd camera setup on the other side so I could see whats going on over there.
A drone video now and then would be nice.

Guilty :)
I find this kind of stuff very interesting.
Wish they had a 2nd camera setup on the other side so I could see whats going on over there.
A drone video now and then would be nice.

Going to check out the south side next week

Going to check out the south side next week
Don't forget pictures :)

This last week several times I have seen cranes swinging in concrete with concrete buckets, but I can't see how they get the concrete out to the barges.
See if you can figure that out :)

Looks like they'll place more beams today.
I can see a beam sitting on a barge.

That's some serious equipment, there. Looks like they're working in the rain?

The NOAA site shows Fog/Mist now with the temp in the mid 40s.
Most of the moisture on the concrete is bleed water.

snapshot.jpg

Have not taken that ride out there yet, amazed at pace regardless.
The LCRA raised the lake level ahead of schedule earlier this week as well. Lots of debris just didn't get cleared in time...I wouldn't do any backflips off a boat or anybodys dock on LBJ this summer:banghead

The weather has been heavy fog and some rain the last few days and temps from 75 to 40...a three day freeze is expected starting Sunday.

Laughed at the spray tank...I would have knocked it in the soup already:eek

They have at least three barge/tugs running from shoreline to work areas shuttling crew and materials...it looked well choreographed the day I was there

Seeing those rebar hoops for a barrier alongside the road surface shows a very wide bike/pedestrian path, which was promised:thumb

Visibility better there this morning...the truck on new deck would be hard to see here

That's some serious dollars!

Steve and Lee:

Did TDOT raise the elevation of the bridge over the waterway or are they inviting this one to go away too next time the river floods at record levels Just curious whether it is obvious that the approaches to the bridge were elevated a few feet?

Back