• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

TX Llano River flooding OCT16 2018

Steve and Lee:

Did TDOT raise the elevation of the bridge over the waterway or are they inviting this one to go away too next time the river floods at record levels Just curious whether it is obvious that the approaches to the bridge were elevated a few feet?

I think Steve said the new bridge is 5 feet higher.

Edit: This link shows the new bridge is 5 feet higher.
https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/austin/rm2900-kingsland-bridge-replacement.html

Bridge Improvements

The bridge will be widened to include 12-foot travel lanes, six-foot shoulders and a six-foot sidewalk. It will also be built as a “perch” bridge, meaning the middle of the bridge will be higher than the ends. At its highest point, the new bridge is expected to be about five-feet higher than the previous bridge.

I'm going to guess the next deck pour will be tomorrow.
Just now I could see them cleaning the floor under the rebar.

bridge deck 3-14-19.jpg

May finally go get a burger again overlooking the job tomorrow. Supposed to be dry the next several days and no freezes

May finally go get a burger again overlooking the job tomorrow. Supposed to be dry the next several days and no freezes

I'm curious to hear how far across the river they have progressed. It's hard to tell with the camera angle.
Is this section considered Llano River or the upper end of Lake LBJ.

Had a lazy day and have not moved far today since H is working and taking a nap is uninterrupted :whistle

The update is now a May opening, details in CBS Austin story.They are on the water approaching from the side so you get some perspective. Couldn't isoloate the video to post it alone

https://cbsaustin.com/news/local/opening-of-new-rm-2900-bridge-over-llano-river-pushed-back-to-may

Considered a part of LBJ, but on narrow end of what I call the Llano river. Kingsland has the Llano and the Colorado converging in town.

You can see that chunk of old bridge sitting on the barge to the left of the new bridge.
old debris.jpg

A little hard to see with the lighting.
2nd deck pour this morning.
I can't tell if the pump truck is on the shore or sitting on a barge.

2nd deck pour.jpg

Made it out there today, starting on south shore.
They have drilled and poured a few piers on this side you can see near the barges. Guessing the hold up was in the middle where old footings were. The pictures are clearer on camera, will figure out why not so much here

P1050789.JPG

P1050785.JPG

P1050788.JPG

P1050781-2.JPG

Then almost a 30 minute detour to north side and a lunch spot view at Boat Town.

The detour first

P1050795.JPG

P1050818.JPG

The Kingsland Slab on the Llano, RR3404 on one end, CR307 on TX 71 end, the closest detour, but not if raining upstream as the road surface is at normal river level.
This is a big hang out in summer typically. It looks so different after flood with all the vegetation gone and the pink granite sand beaches moved around. Upstream by maybe 4 miles from the 2900 bridge.

North shore

They have rebuilt the docks, cleared the debris and with lake up, are using them again. They had just opened the complex in July and then October came. This spot will be the spot in a few weeks

P1050811.JPG

P1050808.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

IMG_3535-2.JPG

My Patty melt is goingto fall off the plate!

A block away from the bridge
P1050815.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Steve.
I replied the other day but must not have hit Submit.

Guardrail supports today.
Guardrail Support 3-19-19.jpg

Thanks Lee, same pics would not work for me. May be on my end.

And H did not do the burnout:lol

Yes, thanks for the pictures. Needed a fix.

You guys got me addicted to looking at the camera every couple days also. Saw barge sections being loaded out and one drill rig gone last week.

Concrete guys on 5 or 6 single shifts and drill rigs on 5/24s it looks like. Debris on bottom put a crimp in their style for sure.

GD

You guys got me addicted to looking at the camera every couple days also.

GD

We need Steve to go back and talk someone into moving the camera to the other side :)
It's hard to see much now.

I don't know anything about bridge design so it has been interesting to see how things are done.

We watched a tubular rebar cage approaching a barge with a truck and a crane moving it...laughed as it looked like a very long Chinese Dragon in a parade. It was bending in all directions as they wrangled it. My length estimate was over 40' using my old lineman pole setting eye.

The contractor has good crane operators. I watched on the computer a couple times while two cranes placed the concrete beams.
Both times the cranes were placed in awkward positions but they were still very smooth when placing the beams.

Good day for a ride with henzilla and Helen..
Checked out the progress on the new bridge.
20190414_134717-1280x960.jpg
20190414_134509-1280x960.jpg
20190414_134420-1280x960.jpg

Back