• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

No more BMW Motorcyle Magazine

junkjohn

Watch This!!!
I just got an E-Mail stating BMW Motorcycle Magazine is all done after this fall issue, I am going to miss it.

I agree with your comments. The email was sent by Sandy Cohen, which I believe was a very popular editor for the BMW ON magazine a while ago (Okay, I liked her editorial page). I never noticed she was involved in the BMW motorcycle magazine previously. This magazine usually had the last page showing routes for great rides. Some I rode when I was in the Navy in San Diego in the seventies.

I just got an E-Mail stating BMW Motorcycle Magazine is all done after this fall issue, I am going to miss it.

Did email provide any reasons for giving up on the Mag? I had a couple of years subscription to it. Sometimes wonder if being less than a monthly isn't detrimental. They certainly used high quality in their process. Is it closing down altogether or just USA distribution?

Magazine update for cessation

Did email provide any reasons for giving up on the Mag? I had a couple of years subscription to it. Sometimes wonder if being less than a monthly isn't detrimental. They certainly used high quality in their process. Is it closing down altogether or just USA distribution?

Motodan: I got an e-mail stating:

It's Been a Great Ride!
We're sorry to announce that BMW Motorcycle Magazine is discontinuing publication effective with the Fall 2018 issue, mailed in early August. Despite our pride in the magazine’s success over the past nine years, we have decided that it’s time to retire. We want to thank all of our subscribers, advertisers and dealerships for their support and friendship. It’s truly been our pleasure to stay in touch with so many whose passion for BMW motorcycles matched our own.

Most US and Canada subscribers will have the remaining issues fulfilled by RoadRUNNER Motorcycle Touring & Travel magazine, North America’s #1 resource for motorcycle travelers.

As a current International subscriber, or a subscriber who already has a relationship with RoadRUNNER magazine, you will be receiving pro-rated refunds for the issues still remaining on your account. If you have any questions, would like additional information, or if you have moved recently, please contact us using the form on our BMW Motorcycle Magazine Contact Us page: bmwmcmag.com/contact.

Thank you for your past support! We wish you many happy, safe rides ahead and hope that our paths cross again soon.

What I thought was kind of ironic is that I had just let my Road Runner run out. Was getting to many mags. a month.

It's really sad I think, but people's lives need to move on. It sort of indicates they couldn't find a buyer, which is also sad.

Not a complaint regarding this situation, but I've found the roadrunner mag pretty awful.

Any mention of what this will do to Membership Dues?

Seems strange that there wouldn't have been any open discussion of whether it was realistic to consider keeping the digital offering.

Any mention of what this will do to Membership Dues?

Seems strange that there wouldn't have been any open discussion of whether it was realistic to consider keeping the digital offering.

It will do nothing, as this is not the club magazine.

Well, that sucks. I just took out a subscription a couple of weeks ago...
:cry

Best,
DG

The magazine was a success, you should get your money back. "Despite our pride in the magazine’s success over the past nine years,..."

E.

That was really a great magazine and Sandy is a good writer. I'll miss it as a reliable source for all things BMW Moto.

The magazine was a success, you should get your money back. "Despite our pride in the magazine’s success over the past nine years,..."

E.

Ummm, no. It goes on to say they will be sending issues of Roadrunner Magazine to fill out the subscription of those of us not already subscribed to RR—not a mag I’m interested in.

Kent, wasn't the magazine included in the Membership Dues?

BMWON is included with your BMWMOA membership. The mag that is closing is BMW Motorcycle Magazine, a publication steered by Sandy Cohen—who was at one time editor of the ON.

The BMWRA mag has turned into mostly a photo essay on the latest racing efforts involving BMW, Sandy’s mag is shutting down, and ON is...well, ON. What other English-language BMW magazine options do we have?

Best,
DG

BMWON is included with your BMWMOA membership. The mag that is closing is BMW Motorcycle Magazine, a publication steered by Sandy Cohen—who was at one time editor of the ON.

Best,
DG

Ahh, my mistake, thanks for straightening that out for me.

What a bummer... and what could have been.

I am very sorry to see this. Sandy, her husband Al and their sons Michael and Rob were all good people and made a significant contribution to the BMW MOA.

The bulk of the content for their magazine was produced by MO Medien Verlag, a German publisher of numerous titles. This content was translated and wrapped with some local USA information, then published here. It was all very good stuff. Here is the German version of BMW Motorcycle Magazine. I can't find any indication that this will also be discontinued.

The Cohens were early to digital, with a tablet version of the print that contained multimedia information... Rob & Michael C. built it and it was well done. The MOA didn't get a digital page flipper (no multimedia) until about 6 years later, and they have a simple mobile app..... something that we STILL don't have.

What could have been, you ask?

Well... trying not to talk out of school too bad, but since this all happened over ten years ago, here are a few interesting details.

MO Medien Verlag actually approached the MOA, proposing a strategic relationship where MO/BMW Motorcycle content would appear in the BMW ON.

At the time, the MOA had decided not to hire Sandy (I am *not even* gonna talk about this), Vince was just coming in and was learning the job, and the opportunity fell through the cracks. Just damn, that could have made for a serious increase in the quality and depth of BMW ON editorial, and still leave room for member contributions, which I personally feel are the heart of our magazine. It also would have led to digital versions of the BMW ON and to an MOA mobile app, which imo, would not only be a great member benefit but would open a ton of new revenue possibilities while driving out operating costs. But what do I know? :dunno

Good luck and great wishes to the Cohens... they made a significant contribution to our club, and like I told our Board back in the day, they delivered far more than what we paid them for.

Ian

Last edited:
I subscribe on my iPad. I just got my renewal notice today. It is an automatic renewal and I suppose it will take time for that info to trickle into the delivery system.

Sorry to see it go.

Ken

I subscribe on my iPad. I just got my renewal notice today. It is an automatic renewal and I suppose it will take time for that info to trickle into the delivery system.

I get it on the iPad also. Not clear what the plan is for tablet subscribers, or how to make sure no automatic renewals go through.

Best,
DG

Back