• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

US Insurance for a UK rider Help?

peteryder2003

Hi,

I am a UK rider planning to realise a dream and do an extended tour of the US in spring/summer 2020, taking in the Rally (depending on location).

I plan to use my own bike but there is a lot of noise this end saying US firms have pulled out of insuring 'foreign' bikes imported for trips like this. Is there any place I could go to for advice or can someone identify major US insurance firms/brokers I can contact?

In the UK I would take out one policy that covers me for accidents to third parties, theft, and damage to my own bike whether caused by others or by me.

Thanks

Pete

Hi,

I am a UK rider planning to realise a dream and do an extended tour of the US in spring/summer 2020, taking in the Rally (depending on location).

I plan to use my own bike but there is a lot of noise this end saying US firms have pulled out of insuring 'foreign' bikes imported for trips like this. Is there any place I could go to for advice or can someone identify major US insurance firms/brokers I can contact?

In the UK I would take out one policy that covers me for accidents to third parties, theft, and damage to my own bike whether caused by others or by me.

Thanks

Pete

I have no experience with this, but start here:

https://www.fernet.com/overseas_visitors/overseas_visitors.html

I would also think that the Canadians or Canadian Insurers might also be good sources for info/insurance as they are our next door neighbors and “Colonialists” as well. (“Colonialist” not to be derogatory in the least, quite the contrary).

They may understand the wanderlust of the British, well as most of the rest of the world, as being normal and not a wildly risky adventure that you should surely pay dearly premiums for.

Charlie

US Insurance for a UK rider

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would update. I emailed Fernetts over the weekend but so far no reply. Geiko on the other hand responded within hours. It was a really nicely worded response but they can't help. I have yet to check out HUB but will and I will also ask again of Fernet. I'll also explore Canada options though I suspect I might have the same issue.

Frustrating!

But thanks for taking the time to reply.

Pete

I suggest you try with insurers specialized in recreational vehicles. I've also found these online: http://www.hctravel.com/html/us_m-c_insurance.html
https://www.motorcycleexpress.com/insurance/temporary-usa-motorcycle-insurance.aspx

I'm not sure if Canadian insurers can accept non residents. All Canadian residents are covered by Medicare, non residents aren't.
This, from an insurance broker's website:
"In Ontario, as with the rest of Canada, provincial healthcare covers acute injuries due to vehicular accidents. However, recovery typically involves treatment, rehab, and other expenses that go beyond what the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) covers, and your insurance company foots the bill for those extra expenses".

In Quebec, vehicle insurance doesn't cover injuries, that is covered by the insurance part on our drivers licenses and vehicle registration. Insurers only have to cover liability, collision, damages, theft, etc.

Last edited:
It's confusing if you don't live here

Hi Pete, just got back from 10 days in Ireland and I understand your confusion as I had the same with renting a car in Ireland. Ain't the UK but I suspect similarly confusing. I just felt like I could never get a straight answer to my questions via email and really didn't understand the whole scheme over there with my liability vs. others. And phone calling Ireland just wasn't very practical from Colorado, never mind that I couldn't understand half of what they were saying, they said it so fast. I needed subtitles. Anyway...

If you wish I would be happy to call or message whomever you want locally with your questions. Besides the time difference for you there are also local colloquies which I hopefully could translate. I am no expert but am reasonably literate in insurance matters here in the states. Crashed my RT in Texas several years ago and got educated fast! In any case I am willing to try if you want. Just send me a PM.

Can't your UK insurance company issue coverage for the US or Canada? I'd check with them, if you haven't already. It should be possible, although with insurance companies, who really knows?

Back