• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Break in on demo bike

OtiumRides

I bought a new to me 2011 R1200RT from the original owner. He bought it as a demo bike (about 2500 miles) and barely road it. Excellent maintenance records, all recalls done, and fluids changed yearly, but only 5,900 miles on it when I bought it. I’m confident as a demo bike it didn’t have the recommended break-in followed. Any tips on how to ride it to help the engine bed-in appropriately?

After 7 years/6,000 miles and it isn't using an excessive amount of oil, I'd say...just ride it and do recommended maintenance. Enjoy!

There have been many threads on the subject. Some say "ride it like you stole it" and some say the usual "no WOT, vary rpm's..........". I don't remember after all the debating a clear "best way" recommendation emerged. Chances are your bike got a bit of both- and I think you will be fine as it is.
Good luck with your new ride.
Gary

6,000 miles? Any break in is long done, good or bad. At this point just ride and hope it runs well. If it burns oil, nothing but a rebuild will cure it.

I have been working with engines of all types for years. IMO, about 90% of the break in is done in the 100 miles. A bit more will happen slowly over the next 500, but by then it is done. After that point any thing that happens is just normal wear.

Break in

If it runs well and doesn't use oil, Ride it.
If it runs well and uses a lot of oil, Beat the snot out of it and spend extended periods of time at 5000rpm and above
This is, after all, a BMW Boxer which makes it among the most rugged machinery on the planet.
Just enjoy the bike!
Best,
3hawks

6,000 miles? Any break in is long done, good or bad. At this point just ride and hope it runs well. If it burns oil, nothing but a rebuild will cure it.

I have been working with engines of all types for years. IMO, about 90% of the break in is done in the 100 miles. A bit more will happen slowly over the next 500, but by then it is done. After that point any thing that happens is just normal wear.

this.

there is no "re-breakin". after the first few hundred miles it is done and there is no going back for a do-over. it is what it is at this point.

My 2002 R1150RS was probably broken in too gently. But at about 35 K it did stop burning oil. They will often seat, but it takes a long time.

Rod

As suggested, keep an eye on oil consumption. Great news if it doesn't burn any. If it does, I'd be tempted to switch to full mineral oil asap, and continue to use full mineral oil until oil usage stops. Congrats on the new bike! M

BelRay20w50.jpeg

Back