Thread: Break in on demo bike

Break in on demo bike

I bought a new to me 2011 R1200RT from the original owner. He bought it as a demo bike (about 2500 miles) and barely road it. Excellent maintenance records, all recalls done, and fluids changed yearly, but only 5,900 miles on it when I bought it. Iím confident as a demo bike it didnít have the recommended break-in followed. Any tips on how to ride it to help the engine bed-in appropriately?

Rally Rat
    After 7 years/6,000 miles and it isn't using an excessive amount of oil, I'd say...just ride it and do recommended maintenance. Enjoy!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    There have been many threads on the subject. Some say "ride it like you stole it" and some say the usual "no WOT, vary rpm's..........". I don't remember after all the debating a clear "best way" recommendation emerged. Chances are your bike got a bit of both- and I think you will be fine as it is.
    Good luck with your new ride.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

6,000 miles? Any break in is long done, good or bad. At this point just ride and hope it runs well. If it burns oil, nothing but a rebuild will cure it.

I have been working with engines of all types for years. IMO, about 90% of the break in is done in the 100 miles. A bit more will happen slowly over the next 500, but by then it is done. After that point any thing that happens is just normal wear.

Break in

If it runs well and doesn't use oil, Ride it.
    If it runs well and uses a lot of oil, Beat the snot out of it and spend extended periods of time at 5000rpm and above
    This is, after all, a BMW Boxer which makes it among the most rugged machinery on the planet.
    Just enjoy the bike!
    Best,
    3hawks

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    6,000 miles? Any break in is long done, good or bad. At this point just ride and hope it runs well. If it burns oil, nothing but a rebuild will cure it.

I have been working with engines of all types for years. IMO, about 90% of the break in is done in the 100 miles. A bit more will happen slowly over the next 500, but by then it is done. After that point any thing that happens is just normal wear.
    this.

there is no "re-breakin". after the first few hundred miles it is done and there is no going back for a do-over. it is what it is at this point.
    Marshall
    92 K75s
    94 K75s
    09 K1300s

My 2002 R1150RS was probably broken in too gently. But at about 35 K it did stop burning oil. They will often seat, but it takes a long time.

Rod

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar
    mika posted this link to Bench Racing and the Morning Reads a while back which may be of interest

Busting The Engine Break-In Myth

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    mika posted this link to Bench Racing and the Morning Reads a while back which may be of interest

Thanks for the link, interesting read.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post

Beat me to it! I just watched that yesterday!
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

As suggested, keep an eye on oil consumption. Great news if it doesn't burn any. If it does, I'd be tempted to switch to full mineral oil asap, and continue to use full mineral oil until oil usage stops. Congrats on the new bike! M

BelRay20w50.jpeg