Thread: Fuel strip replacement -3rd time 06 K1200GT

Thumbs down Fuel strip replacement -3rd time 06 K1200GT

Been going on for @ 2 years. Called dealer yesterday and mentioned that we last spoke on Friday before departing to Des Moines with a fuel strip issue, good news is on the day of departure it kicked back into semi normal and had no issues for next 8 days, was told mine is the only bike that has been in 3 times for fuel strip issue . The fuel gauge just goes in and out on an irregular basis, and indicates no reliable info. My fuel level is managed by resetting the trip mileage on time of fill-up. So is there a next step to resolve the issue?
    Graham

I'm surprised the dealer did not tell you BMW will warranty the fuel strip for 12 years after the bike went into service.
    You may be past 12 years now but I would still ask if the warranty will replace your fuel strip.
    Do you go to the Alamo dealer?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by EGRAHAM View Post
    Was told mine is the only bike that has been in 3 times for fuel strip issue.
    There are people on this forum who have had their fuel strips replaced at least twice as often. Your dealer doesn't seem to be paying attention.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Back in the saddle again mikegalbicka's Avatar

My '11 gets a new fuel strip every year, my current one is crapped out now, should schedule an appointment but may wait till next year get it done with new tires. Good luck with yours.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key

Quote Originally Posted by mikegalbicka View Post
    Reports to NHTSA go back a decade. They may be the reason BMW has extended the warranty on fuel strips to 12 years from the bike's in-service date. I don't expect to see any further action from the feds.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    Reports to NHTSA go back a decade. They may be the reason BMW has extended the warranty on fuel strips to 12 years from the bike's in-service date. I don't expect to see any further action from the feds.
    With all due respect to them, the NHTSA would not initiate a recall on final drives when there were many documented cases of wheels wobbling and oil all over rear tires, because they did not find that this was a safety issue since there were not documented cases of death or severe injury. How do you suppose they will find a flakey fuel gauge is a safety issue? This one is on BMW, not the government in any country.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/