• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel strip replacement -3rd time 06 K1200GT

EGRAHAM

Club President
Been going on for @ 2 years. Called dealer yesterday and mentioned that we last spoke on Friday before departing to Des Moines with a fuel strip issue, good news is on the day of departure it kicked back into semi normal and had no issues for next 8 days, was told mine is the only bike that has been in 3 times for fuel strip issue . The fuel gauge just goes in and out on an irregular basis, and indicates no reliable info. My fuel level is managed by resetting the trip mileage on time of fill-up. So is there a next step to resolve the issue?

I'm surprised the dealer did not tell you BMW will warranty the fuel strip for 12 years after the bike went into service.
You may be past 12 years now but I would still ask if the warranty will replace your fuel strip.
Do you go to the Alamo dealer?

My '11 gets a new fuel strip every year, my current one is crapped out now, should schedule an appointment but may wait till next year get it done with new tires. Good luck with yours.

Reports to NHTSA go back a decade. They may be the reason BMW has extended the warranty on fuel strips to 12 years from the bike's in-service date. I don't expect to see any further action from the feds.

With all due respect to them, the NHTSA would not initiate a recall on final drives when there were many documented cases of wheels wobbling and oil all over rear tires, because they did not find that this was a safety issue since there were not documented cases of death or severe injury. How do you suppose they will find a flakey fuel gauge is a safety issue? This one is on BMW, not the government in any country.

08 GT Fuel Strip

VanWall in Indianola,Ia has changed mine out in my 08 GT 3-4 times now. Current one is 2 yrs old.

...me too

I bought my 2008 K12GT in 2015 with 13k mi. At 37k mi i'm now on my 5th fuel strip with the typical dealer shoulder shrug. It's a shame BMW has totally walked away from the K12 and K13 GT platforms!

I bought my 2008 K12GT in 2015 with 13k mi. At 37k mi i'm now on my 5th fuel strip with the typical dealer shoulder shrug. It's a shame BMW has totally walked away from the K12 and K13 GT platforms!

I am not sure that is what they did. What I know they did was provide 12yrs of warranty from the original date of use of the bikes and walk away from trying to make the fuel strips work. Since they can't fix them they just replace them.

Question has come up regarding ethanol

has there been any documentation pointing at ethanol as the issue for the strip problems? Also discussed using Murphy/Walmart 87 ethanol free and then adding an octane booster. Any documentation on this option, is it viable?
Appreciate all responses, my strip was replaced again last fall and it is still working, but still after a fill up the odometer is reset to zero. No confidence if the strip will continue to perform.

has there been any documentation pointing at ethanol as the issue for the strip problems? Also discussed using Murphy/Walmart 87 ethanol free and then adding an octane booster. Any documentation on this option, is it viable?
Appreciate all responses, my strip was replaced again last fall and it is still working, but still after a fill up the odometer is reset to zero. No confidence if the strip will continue to perform.

No documentation. Just hearsay and innuendo. And dealership rumor and propaganda, making excuses. If in fact the problem is an electrical open that can be re-fused with a jolt of voltage how/why would that be caused by fuel type. The strips failed in the K bikes in the mid '80s. Then some dude retired so the new guys lost the institutional memory. They tried it again. If I had a strip equipped bike I would tape over the low fuel warning and use my trip meter. These do-dads fail so often as to be a joke.

I am not sure that is what they did. What I know they did was provide 12yrs of warranty from the original date of use of the bikes and walk away from trying to make the fuel strips work. Since they can't fix them they just replace them.

Great German engineering and more importantly just another item to add to the list BMW will not fix "because it ts to expensive" over the past years when their reliability rating has fallen.

Fix them for twelve years and tough cookies after that Mr. Consumer, go buy a new one vehicle which works, mostly, Mr. Consumer.

GD

Back