• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Workshop Tools

RPGR90s

Many years ago there was a BMW dealer in Jackson, MI.

I used to stop in there and was enough of a regular that I could go in the back and shoot the breeze with the technician's. I remember they had this homemade fan system to blow air on the motors. Really neat idea thought.

I remembered that they were a set of squirrel cage fans mounted on something and placed in front of the front wheel. Always stuck in my head that one day I would like to make one.

Well, the other day I'm in my local salvage store and see a set of perfect Dayton Squirrel Cage fans and picked them up.

So I'm looking for ideas on what to attach them to to direct air flow at my Oilhead and R90s motors.

Here's the fan. Ideas greatly appreciated.

Dayton Squirrel Cage Fan.JPG

Fans

Just build a couple of plywood frames for them and set them on the floor. K.I.S.S.

I like it. Actually I picked up a set of all steel milk crate type frames that might work too. They would support the fans and get them about a foot off the floor.

I'll send photos when I'm done.

Thanks,

RickR90s

For others who don't have access to the blowers like yours, I just use a standard 20" box fan. When not using them on the bikes, they keep the shop cooler.

:dance:dance:dance

I use one of these for tuning the bikes carbs and throttle bodies. It works very well and serves more than one purpose. Always a good thing!
81hlxWMMEcL._SX679_.jpg

Many years ago, a couple of us played a trick on one of the other guys:
We wedged just the head of a "strike-anywhere" match in between the frame and the rotor of his squirrel-blower, with the white tip hard against the rotor.
When he turned it on, the match head ignited and was then immediately blown out by the airflow...
But there was enough smoke coming (apparently) out of the fan that he yelped and slammed the off switch! :rofl

If you could run across something like a couple old microphone stands and cut them down but still leave some adjustability height wise. Perhaps some angle adjustment so you could direct the fans up or down.

I am more like the other posts, just a good circulating fan fills my needs.

The squirrel cage fans might fit into the milk crates for storage.
A small piece of plywood set on top of the milk crates makes a good place to lay on when hanging out the door of a car while working under the dash.
This I learned two years ago while putting a brake light switch in my 94 C1500.

Many years ago there was a BMW dealer in Jackson, MI.

I used to stop in there and was enough of a regular that I could go in the back and shoot the breeze with the technician's. I remember they had this homemade fan system to blow air on the motors. Really neat idea thought.

I remembered that they were a set of squirrel cage fans mounted on something and placed in front of the front wheel. Always stuck in my head that one day I would like to make one.

Well, the other day I'm in my local salvage store and see a set of perfect Dayton Squirrel Cage fans and picked them up.

So I'm looking for ideas on what to attach them to to direct air flow at my Oilhead and R90s motors.

Here's the fan. Ideas greatly appreciated.

View attachment 71123

I have one of these left over from my darkroom. Wish I had thought of buying another one to create dual fans to directly cool the heads. Instead I bought a 30" fan on a stand. I cut the stand to lower the fan and I have ways placed it at the end of the lift, aimed down at the heads.

A mechanic I occasionally deal with recently told me to not have the fan too close to the bike as it could adversely the setting of the TBS.

Any comments about his comment?

A mechanic I occasionally deal with recently told me to not have the fan too close to the bike as it could adversely the setting of the TBS.

What happens when you run down the road at 80 MPH versus the fan blowing on it? Horse pucky IMO!

I have one of these left over from my darkroom. Wish I had thought of buying another one to create dual fans to directly cool the heads. Instead I bought a 30" fan on a stand. I cut the stand to lower the fan and I have ways placed it at the end of the lift, aimed down at the heads.

Not sure what a TBS is... TPS maybe?

In any case a fan makes wind as does going down the road. His comment makes no sense whatsoever AFAIK.

Fans

All sorts of places sell 3-speed mechanics' floor fans. They usually have receps so you can use them as extension cords, and feet so that you can put them at different angles. No need to home-brew one any more.

https://jet.com/product/Neiko-Indus...-Lightweight/6d68992785de451989913e5655430257
https://store.snapon.com/Shop-Fans-300-CFM-nbsp-Blower-Fan-Blue-Point-reg--P892358.aspx

Very nice. But I got about $40 invested in this project so we'll see how it turns out. I've used large window fans before. As long as you're moving air, it's good.

RickR90s

Back