• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Front brake light switch

clegg

Is there an alternative to the $60 switch that threads in the brake lever perch R75/5 ? Mine was missing from PO.

Last edited:
From IBMWR site, look for any air cooled VW two-pronged brake switches. The site says early water cooled VWs with 3-pronged switches could work, just find the two that are normally open.

Mine just went as well on the 71 R60/5. $ 90 canadian. i replaced the same switch on my 1981 R100cs ( looks similar) for $ 15.00, I wonder if the threads are the same... the length would have to work as well.

61 31 1 244 070 is the part #. I saw this and wondered the same thing. The R75 threads are fine M8, probably 1.75.

The VW switches are for a hydraulic system.

That part number is only used on BMWs from the late 1970s-on...as an example, it's #24 on this picture:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh..._2474_BMW_R_100_7T&diagId=32_0747#61311244070

Now look at this picture of the right hand controls for a '70 R75/5 (which I believe you have):

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=0260-EUR-01-1970-2476-BMW-R75_5&diagId=32_0752

No such part is shown for the /5. I'm not sure what switch we're talking about...can't seem to find it. You have a drum brake...the part number 61311244070 is used on bikes with hydraulic brakes.

Yes, the R75 one looks like that. It has that specific locknut.
I went to an auto parts store and the automotive ones are too large in diameter at the threaded portion.

This R75/5 that I bought from the PO had a lot of missing parts (not to mention the dented leaking RH valve cover) and the parts total is adding up. The bike is now starting fine and coming together.

IMG_3069.JPG

The /5 brakelight switch is listed under horn/brakelight switch and is part # 61 31 1351 662

The 81 R100cs is listed at the right handle bar and is part # 61 31 1 244 070, 6 x 0.70mm thread.
they look similar but the /5 is silver and much larger.

Yup!

The left hand down in the slow to stop signal as required by most DMV motorcycle riders license test pre-'70, is a cheap and ineffective stop light switch. "Sorry" but I saw this post at a time when I just can't contain my "what do you expect" attitude. That particular brake light switch was available for a couple years nearly forty years ago and at that time it might have cost 2 0r 3 $s now it cost a little more if you can even get it. $60 is a deal, call me stupid or extravagant but I can't see a problem with paying a bit more for the correct part to make your bike work the way it is supposed to. You will probably spend more time and money with no success trying to make something work.

After you hunt the internet and all the auction sites for the switch (incorrect or not) think about the time an money you spent trying to save a few bucks for the best deal when you could have paid a little more, got an assurance of a correct part and a guarantee of a working part, $3 forty years ago and $60 now, I guess I might thank the supplier for holding onto that obsolete switch for the last 20 years

I'm not rich or anything but I do a lot of antique, vintage and modern BMW bike stuff and find that sometimes the parts needed for a correct repair are very expensive and may even seem obscene to some extent but if you need it and really want to keep it simple you have to pay the price.

Sorry but the tone of the OP just got under my skin a little. Spend 3 hours on the web and another 2 trying to make the wrong part work and you will understand.

Zeff

Back