• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Riding to Alaska question

nickrides

Nick Kennedy
Hey all you northerners
When do you think is the Driest three weeks of the year to ride to Alaska and back?
Don't care for riding in the rain much
Thanks in advance!

Hey all you northerners
When do you think is the Driest three weeks of the year to ride to Alaska and back?
Thanks in advance!

Temperature also counts. But when I tried to figure that out I concluded the end of May and most of June gave the best opportunity for a dry ride. I would thus either pick the last week in May and first half of June, or the first three weeks in June.

AKbeemer to the white courtesy phone.

Hey all you northerners
Thanks in advance!

June is the driest month in the interior of Alaska. You will ride thru multiple weather zones along the way that have their own rainfall averages, but trying to out guess the weather is ultimately a fruitless endeavor. Go when you want to go and prepare for drought, flood, scorching heat and black ice.

After riding to Tuk but NOT to Deadhorse (big snowstorm) this June I concur with Paul and Kevin. First three weeks of June looked best by my research but the weather gods did not always cooperate. As mentioned, be prepared for anything. The Dempster got clobbered in early June by the same storm that kept me out of Deadhorse, lots of riders stranded at Eagle Plains by impassable road conditions and accidents, etc. Anything can happen, weather-wise.

If I were planning that ride again I’d still use the same timeframe and would plan on being even better prepared than I was this June.

Best,
DG

Alaska ride

Hey all you northerners
Thanks in advance!

Hi Nick:wave
Concerning your Alaska trip plans. Are you planning on riding alone or are you looking for others to join you? Are you camping or staying in hotels? I'm thinking about an Alaska trip myself. Thanks

Hey Gents
Thanks for the responses.
So to me I think I would try and go from late may until mid June, or the first 3 weeks of June.
Hype rider: I don't have any solid plans, I'm kinda of a spur of the moment kind of guy. I would be Moteling it I don't camp off my bike.

Back