Thread: Riding to Alaska question

Nick Kennedy

Riding to Alaska question

Hey all you northerners
    When do you think is the Driest three weeks of the year to ride to Alaska and back?
    Don't care for riding in the rain much
    Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by nickrides View Post
    Hey all you northerners
    When do you think is the Driest three weeks of the year to ride to Alaska and back?
    Thanks in advance!
    Temperature also counts. But when I tried to figure that out I concluded the end of May and most of June gave the best opportunity for a dry ride. I would thus either pick the last week in May and first half of June, or the first three weeks in June.

AKbeemer to the white courtesy phone.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Hey all you northerners
    Thanks in advance!
    June is the driest month in the interior of Alaska. You will ride thru multiple weather zones along the way that have their own rainfall averages, but trying to out guess the weather is ultimately a fruitless endeavor. Go when you want to go and prepare for drought, flood, scorching heat and black ice.
    Kevin Huddy
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

After riding to Tuk but NOT to Deadhorse (big snowstorm) this June I concur with Paul and Kevin. First three weeks of June looked best by my research but the weather gods did not always cooperate. As mentioned, be prepared for anything. The Dempster got clobbered in early June by the same storm that kept me out of Deadhorse, lots of riders stranded at Eagle Plains by impassable road conditions and accidents, etc. Anything can happen, weather-wise.

If I were planning that ride again Id still use the same timeframe and would plan on being even better prepared than I was this June.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Alaska ride

Hey all you northerners
    Thanks in advance!
    Hi Nick
    Concerning your Alaska trip plans. Are you planning on riding alone or are you looking for others to join you? Are you camping or staying in hotels? I'm thinking about an Alaska trip myself. Thanks

Nick Kennedy
    Hey Gents
    Thanks for the responses.
    So to me I think I would try and go from late may until mid June, or the first 3 weeks of June.
    Hype rider: I don't have any solid plans, I'm kinda of a spur of the moment kind of guy. I would be Moteling it I don't camp off my bike.