• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Crossing into Mexico at Tijuana border

jsphillips

All/anyone have any info on boarder crossing into and back at CA/Tijuana boarder. I have a passport, I plan to stay 3-5 days, travel about an hour or so south to the coast to Playa La Mission. I know I need insurance and if I top off my tank in USA I should be able to get there and back across without needing gas in Mexico. I also know don't argue with police and have money for the tolls.
1. But if needed is the gas ok to use and do they have premium and is worth the extra cost?
2. Can I split the traffic at the crossing to get up to the check point or is there a motorcycle lane and if I split it will I get in trouble?

Any other info and recommendations are greatly appreciated and thank you

Steve

All/anyone have any info on boarder crossing into and back at CA/Tijuana boarder. I have a passport, I plan to stay 3-5 days, travel about an hour or so south to the coast to Playa La Mission. I know I need insurance and if I top off my tank in USA I should be able to get there and back across without needing gas in Mexico. I also know don't argue with police and have money for the tolls.
1. But if needed is the gas ok to use and do they have premium and is worth the extra cost?
2. Can I split the traffic at the crossing to get up to the check point or is there a motorcycle lane and if I split it will I get in trouble?

Any other info and recommendations are greatly appreciated and thank you

Steve

No joking from me on this...

https://travel.state.gov/content/tr.../traveladvisories/mexico-travel-advisory.html

I’ve only taken a bike in at the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, but if I were headed to yourq destination I’d be tempted to go a few miles east to the smaller crossing at Tecate. Shorter lines and less of a circus atmosphere once across, since nothing can be more of a circus than Tijuana.

Gas shouldn’t be a problem, especially if you cross with a full tank. Enjoy the beach!

Best,
DG

I’ve only taken a bike in at the Lukeville/Sonoyta crossing, but if I were headed to yourq destination I’d be tempted to go a few miles east to the smaller crossing at Tecate. Shorter lines and less of a circus atmosphere once across, since nothing can be more of a circus than Tijuana.

Gas shouldn’t be a problem, especially if you cross with a full tank. Enjoy the beach!

Best,
DG

Good idea thanks for the help

I feel Baja Mexico only gets better the further south you travel. It's definitely a place that I want to see more of. You'll find the toll roads in northern Baja to be some of the nicest and least traveled road you can ride on. I would not worry about buying gas in Baja: https://www.tripsavvy.com/buying-gas-in-mexico-1589145

A agree with the DG, we went across at Tacate with no problems or lines. On the way back we timed it poorly and returned on a Sunday afternoon and there was a line at least a mile long. Fortunately, it's expected that motorcycles ride up to the front.

As far as safety, I tent to follow these simple rules:
- Avoid border towns, travel straight through them to greener pastures.
- Don't get drunk. You're common senses go out the door when you're drunk.
- Do not ride at night in Mexico. Stray animals are a common thing. Not worth the risk.
- Be friendly, a smile can defuse most situations.

If you're looking for some ideas on what to see in Mexico, perhaps check out my ride-report we did last year:
https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?90554-Baja-para-dos-Nine-day-adventure-in-Baja-Mexico

Millions of Americans visit Mexico, especially Baja, every year without problem. I'm not saying you shouldn't read the warnings and be aware - I'm just saying you shouldn't let fear overwhelm your sense of adventure.

Enjoy Baja - send pictures!!

Back