Thread: Wiring Accessories

Wiring Accessories

I have a 2018 RT. I have a bunch of things wired up, two heated jacket liner connections, battery tender connection, and a J&M CB radio. Right now I have it all wired to the negative battery post and the positive "jumper" post along side the battery. All are fused. I was trying to come up with some other way of dealing with all these connections. Perhaps some remote junction block I could mount elsewhere, perhaps either side of the frame, below the seat.

I have been riding Harleys for the last few years and there is relatively tons of room to mount and wire things. BMW, not so much!

My bike is a 2014 with a key I have room behind the radio to mount a https://www.fuzeblocks.com/ .

Jay

Hex EZCan

The HexEZCan is a far more compact unit that will fit in many places, about 1/10 the size of a Fuzeblock. It has 2 10-amp fuzed circuits, and 2 4-amp fuzed circuits available. I had a Fuzeblock on my previous bike (F800GT), worked fine but, like you said, it was bulky and there were not that many places that it would fit, though it did fit under the seat in my F800GT. I have a HezEZCan on my 2017 R1200GS.

So, if you wanted something more compact you could use the 1) HezEZcan to power everything except the 2d heated accessory garment (unless it was just gloves. Not sure if the 2d heated garment connection is for you or a passenger.) I have the HexEZCan on my R1200GS powering my heated gear (jacket + gloves) on a 10 amp circuit, and it works fine, even when I additionally add in the heated gloves: The HexEZCan functions as my jacket controller via the Wunderwheel. 2) In your case, needing a second high amperage circuit for an additional heated garment, you could use the second 10 amp EZCan circuit for that, with its own controler, or wire the second heated garment (if for a passenger) directly to the battery with its own controller. I put an incandescent pilot light in the jacket circuit so I could get an instantaneous indication of power going to the jacket. Works well.

FYI, my heated jacket is 2.4 ohms with the heated gloves installed in parallel, and 3.5 ohms by itself. 14.5v/2.4ohms=6 amps, well within the 10 amp circuit available from the HezEZCan. (Though the HezEZcan has two 10-amp circuits, only one can be controlled by the Wunderwheel.)

I really do not need a Hexcan or a fuse block. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding of what I want, but thanks for the ideas anyway. The leads for the connectors are all fused already and I don't see a need to run them through the CANBUS controls on the motorcycle.

I might just mount a couple heavy terminals somewhere under the seat and run a fused wire from the battery. Amazon has some accessory terminals that can be mounted on the frame somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I really do not need a Hexcan or a fuse block. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding of what I want, but thanks for the ideas anyway. The leads for the connectors are all fused already and I don't see a need to run them through the CANBUS controls on the motorcycle.

I might just mount a couple heavy terminals somewhere under the seat and run a fused wire from the battery. Amazon has some accessory terminals that can be mounted on the frame somewhere.
    You don't want anything with switched power? A dead bike is no fun because you left something on.

Jay

I use a FuzeBlock and a ezCAN on my GS which has WAY less room to hide wiring.

One hot wire and one ground to the battery and you are done. Well you need a trigger wire for the built in relay of the FuzeBlock.

Not sure why you say you do not need either?

What was the sense of your post?

The FuzeBlock leaves me the choice of leaving something hot all the time like my USB outlet. When we stop for lunch I plug in our Senas or our phones or whatever. It makes it nice to be able to have a hot outlet of my choosing.

Not sure what you are after but if the FuzeBlock is not it, as I think it is the smallest unit out there with it's own relay, then what are you trying to accomplish that you do not already have?
    Lee
    2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by strataj View Post
    You don't want anything with switched power? A dead bike is no fun because you left something on.

Jay

What could possibly be left on? I doubt I will take off my heated jacket and leave it laying on the bike plugged in. The other connection is for the battery tender, plus the CB needs a hot all the time connection, (it uses a second switched hot wire to power it up).

Keep in mind I have been riding a Harley wired up like this for years and never an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by LFarling View Post
    then what are you trying to accomplish that you do not already have?
    Just less mess of wiring at the battery.