• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sticking front wheel

Next steps

As I wait for the new parts to arrive, I need to remove the sealing ring that resides inside the caliper and clean the caliper. What is the best method for removing this seal without damaging the caliper? Given the state of the front brakes, I'm wondering if I should more carefully examine the master cylinder? Suggestions on how to proceed will be appreciated.

rickt

Master cylinder rebuild

Given that I now have the calipers under repair, I’m thinking that the master cylinder should be carefully examined (rebuild?). The parts fiche shows two repair kits. One for bikes to 09/1975 16mm, the second for bikes from 09/1975 17mm. My R90S is 1975. Is there any way for me to determine which kit is correct for my bike without taking the MC off and apart?

rickt

Did you look at the link I posted? Brook documents how to tell what size master cylinder you have...it's stamped on the body of the part.

MC Repair Kit

I managed to remove the MC from the bike frame. The exterior will need to be cleaned and painted. Examination of the piston with a caliper indicated a diameter of 17.43 mm. There are two MC repair kits listed on microfiche. Part # 34 31 1234925 for D=16 mm and part # 34 31 1234927 for D=17 mm. There is no size marking on the outside of the MC. Can I assume that the 17 mm repair kit is correct for my R90S?

rickt

This is how I am reminded

Being reminded of my mental deficiencies happens much too frequently. Indeed the 17 was right on the casting where it is supposed to be. Onward I go.:scratch

rickt

Update and A New Issue

As suggested, I did find a 40mm caliper on Ebay. I painted all three calipers and the MC with black epoxy and ordered a second 40mm caliper rebuild kit. I decided to rebuild the MC and ordered the appropriate kit. Now, another case of memory failure. I misplaced/lost the MC fluid container, cap and allen screw that holds it to the MC. I typically put all parts in a zip-lock bag for safe keeping but it was no where to be found. I called Bob's and ordered a new fluid container. After some further investigation, I determined that the allen screw that is used to attach the fluid container to the MC is not available. The flanged screw/bolt appears by my guessing to be thread 1.0 and 10-11 mm in width. Any suggestions where I might find this part or anyone who may have a spare would be greatly appreciated.

rickt

r65lsk75c;1176894 Any suggestions where I might find this part or anyone who may have a spare would be greatly appreciated. rickt[/QUOTE said:
You’re into this resuscitation a bit, but if/when you decide you want professional mechanical help (or a source for parts), you’re lucky to have Charlie Johnson, an excellent airhead mechanic, not far away in Wayzata, MN. (952) 449-0357.

Getting past the frustration

As suggested I made the 50 min. drive to Charlie Johnson's shop in Victoria. He did have the proper allen-head screw for mounting the fluid reservoir to the master cylinder. The MC is now securely strapped to the top of the bike frame. Now I will venture onto the assembly of the calipers while hoping for no undesirable setbacks.

rickt

Inserting Pistons into Calipers

I'm guessing that I am displaying a high degree of incompetence. Everything is clean and following the procedure outlined in Brook Reams notebook I cannot get the piston to enter the caliper. No amount of juggling, pushing or attempting to turn the piston was successful. I lubed the side of the piston and the seal with
brake fluid as suggested. I am reasonably certain that the piston is aligned correctly. Am I missing something? Are there other means of making the piston cooperate? Is the use of a C-clamp to push the piston in totally inappropriate? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

rickt

I'm guessing that I am displaying a high degree of incompetence. Everything is clean and following the procedure outlined in Brook Reams notebook I cannot get the piston to enter the caliper. No amount of juggling, pushing or attempting to turn the piston was successful. I lubed the side of the piston and the seal with
brake fluid as suggested. I am reasonably certain that the piston is aligned correctly. Am I missing something? Are there other means of making the piston cooperate? Is the use of a C-clamp to push the piston in totally inappropriate? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

rickt

Not incompetence; it's the experience I had. Get some red rubber grease. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20g-Genuin...931047&hash=item4d6cb19397:g:69oAAOSwZrhaeH-L It is not typically available locally (at least around me). I learned about it reading Brit bike magazines. Every year or so thay'd have an article on rebuilding calipers. And every one used red grease.

I have used a c-clamp and it didn't seem to cause much damage but the grease is the way to go.

Second caliper & pads

With Charlie Johnson's assistance the pistons were inserted in both calipers and the pads installed in caliper #1. I was sent home with the second caliper because I did not have a second spring clip to install the stationary pad. I obtained the clip but was told the O-ring for the moveable pad was not available. I purchased an assortment of O-rings on Amazon thinking that there would be one of the appropriate size. Two of the smallest fit snugly on the post but allowed the pad to move quite freely. How important is the motion restriction for the movable brake pad? Is it acceptable to go ahead and assemble the second caliper with the pad having some movement?

rickt

Back