• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

To Install Or To Not Install

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Back in 2014, I installed new tires for a long trip. The removed tires had about a half life left. Would it be prudent to install the front tire, still with good tread, even though it is four years old? :dunno

This four year old tire could get me through the remainder of this short riding season (or should I just go for new?)

Back in 2014, I installed new tires for a long trip. The removed tires had about a half life left. Would it be prudent to install the front tire, still with good tread, even though it is four years old? :dunno

This four year old tire could get me through the remainder of this short riding season (or should I just go for new?)

My personal rule of thumb: When I start thinking/worrying about my tires, it's time for new ones. I have learned that once I start thinking and worrying about the tires, it ruins a trip because that's all I think about. You can keep the old tire with some tread left if you want and use it later for a short while. But don't take chances with the only contact you have with Earth.

Good luck.

Have you determined the manufacture date of the tire? It could be significantly older than four years.

I used to accumulate 'old' tires due to swapping them out for brand new ones just before long tours (3-5k miles). I figured I could always throw them back on to either get my money's worth or finish off the year.

Problem was, the high cost of mounting/balancing vs. the return for the money spent. Admittedly, I do not mount my own tires - hence, the expense is a factor.

Ended up tossing them after a year or more of sitting around in the shed, or drilling holes in them, pounding in some screws and teaching newbies how to plug tires, usually in the dark and in the rain - good real-world training.

So, for you, the decision process has three elements.

First, do the idle tires have enough tread still on them to accomplish your goal and match the brand on the rear?

Second, is the tire absent of dry-rotting (lateral cracks emanating from the rim line) that come with age?

Third, do you mount your own rubber or have a buddy who can do it for $0?

Enjoy the rest of your season. :thumb

Have you determined the manufacture date of the tire? It could be significantly older than four years.

Good suggestion. Checked the old tire this morning and its' manufacturing date was Feb. 2013. Even though it has 3/32" tread, it is cupped. The existing tire has only 1/32".

I had planned on riding to the Falling Leaf Rally and was concerned the current tire would have difficulty getting home.

The problem is no more as I washed the R1100 and now the four way flashers won't turn off. :banghead The local dealer can't look at it until Friday. Maybe next year I'll make the Falling Leaf.

The existing tire should be fine for local rides, as our riding season is quickly coming to an end and at the January Bike Show, I'll pick up a new pair for next season.

I used to accumulate 'old' tires due to swapping them out for brand new ones just before long tours (3-5k miles). I figured I could always throw them back on to either get my money's worth or finish off the year.

Problem was, the high cost of mounting/balancing vs. the return for the money spent. Admittedly, I do not mount my own tires - hence, the expense is a factor.

Ended up tossing them after a year or more of sitting around in the shed, or drilling holes in them, pounding in some screws and teaching newbies how to plug tires, usually in the dark and in the rain - good real-world training.

So, for you, the decision process has three elements.

First, do the idle tires have enough tread still on them to accomplish your goal and match the brand on the rear?

Second, is the tire absent of dry-rotting (lateral cracks emanating from the rim line) that come with age?

Third, do you mount your own rubber or have a buddy who can do it for $0?

Enjoy the rest of your season. :thumb

Like you, Kevin, I usually hold on to the partially used tires and then pitch them because I have a shop mount them and I dislike paying that fee twice in a short period of time. A friend used to mount them for free before he died prematurely due to cancer.

As I mentioned above, enough tread but the tire is cupped. No cracks in that tire and no, it does not match the rear.

With constantly flashing four ways, my R1100 intended trip is canceled, as well because of my folly in putting off some K work until winter.

I will however use the old tire to brush up on tire plugging! :)

Thank you for all the replies.

Paul

I'd be inclined to mount and ride them (gingerly) until their death. The real problem is you were heading to the Falling Leaf Rally, which so happens to have some amazingly wonderful roads that will tempt to you exercise your wrist a bit more...

Any time I am going to use a tire again (within a year or two), I make sure to put it in a plastic bag tied tight. This (in theory) should lower the potential for air flow/transmission, I also put it in my basement which has a pretty consistent temperature. I think poor storage is where a lot of people get in trouble.

Have you tried a heat gun or hair dryer to dry out your switchgear and relay box? That is likely the problem.
FWIW - NoMar is always at the Falling Leaf Rally selling and mounting tires. My 3 year old front tire has one round trip remaining on it :).

From my location, it is too late to arrive by Friday noon; hence next year.

Before leaving on the K for a spirited fall ride, I checked the 1100's electrics again and yes with the turn of the key, the four ways immediately fired up.

Came home five hours later and again checked the four ways and all was well.

Since this happened (briefly) the Sunday morning in Des Moines after Saturday night's downpour and again for several days this weekend, I would like this anomaly eliminated. I might try sprinkling the handlebars tomorrow to try and re-create the problem for Friday's scheduled appointment. I don't need this three day glitch to repeat while on a trip next year. :banghead

Back