Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: New purchase, iabs failure fun

  1. #1

    New purchase, iabs failure fun

    Hello, wish i was here to celebrate the purchase of a really nice low mileage 2004 1150rt. However, I am here to sadly say i recently purchased a really nice low mileage rt with iabs failure. Test drive was fine, but after a longer drive home from the purchase, the failure light came on with the 4hz flash and general light on. If the bike sits, i can get the lights to clear and even had it clear and work fine on the way to the mechanic. I had a local independent bmw mechanic do a full flush on the system and had very dirty fluid. After the work, everything worked good until about 30 mins down the road on the way home. The lights come on, the front still has servo assisted braking, but no rear servo assist. Eventually both go into residual mode. The code thrown states high pressure in the rear circuit. It has the original rubber hoses.

    I understand there may be an opportunity to have a rebuild by module masters, but am concerned about future failures. I am considering removing the iABS unit, but have not been able to find a comprehensive procedures with clarity on having to re-wire or not re-wire for brake lights.

    Any information on iabs removal for a 2004 rt would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Travis

  2. #2
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,812
    You may have answered a question already, change out those rubber lines...then do another flush including voiding calipers

    Some folks have removed the pump, imagine a youtube or regular search will lead tou down that path...but,doyou really want to?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  3. #3
    No, really do not want to, but do not want to keep putting money into it only to find out it was the abs module. Would the brake lines still cause a problem that fast after the two flushed performed by the mechanic?

  4. #4
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,812
    If the lines break down internally like they all eventually do, little rubber bits can clog orifices and keep fluid from flowing either direction.
    If the module fails , typically done from the get go, blocked lines just make things worse.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  5. #5
    Thick As A Brick r184's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    1,513
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmcleod24 View Post
    Hello, wish i was here to celebrate the purchase of a really nice low mileage 2004 1150rt. However, I am here to sadly say i recently purchased a really nice low mileage rt with iabs failure. Test drive was fine, but after a longer drive home from the purchase, the failure light came on with the 4hz flash and general light on. If the bike sits, i can get the lights to clear and even had it clear and work fine on the way to the mechanic. I had a local independent bmw mechanic do a full flush on the system and had very dirty fluid. After the work, everything worked good until about 30 mins down the road on the way home. The lights come on, the front still has servo assisted braking, but no rear servo assist. Eventually both go into residual mode. The code thrown states high pressure in the rear circuit. It has the original rubber hoses.

    I understand there may be an opportunity to have a rebuild by module masters, but am concerned about future failures. I am considering removing the iABS unit, but have not been able to find a comprehensive procedures with clarity on having to re-wire or not re-wire for brake lights.

    Any information on iabs removal for a 2004 rt would be much appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Travis
    The rebuild by Module Masters comes with a warranty, I believe 5 years. But you still have to have someone do the work of removing and reinstalling. I had a '02 K bike ABS module rebuilt by MM and work done at a dealer. Depending on who does the work, you may be looking at $1-$2k bill. Contact MM and see what they'll charge for your rebuild and turnaround time.

  6. #6
    Registered User kioolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    667
    If you're able to bleed the brakes you shouldn't have any trouble replacing the servo unit. There are no special tools needed except the funnel used for putting the the fluid in the under tank reservoir.
    2004 R1150RT 186,800 miles , 1991 K100LT 128,700 miles, 1982 R100RT 106,900 miles
    Total 422,400 BMW miles
    AMA,BMWRA,BMWMOA
    The cheapest thing on a BMW is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

  7. #7
    Pepperfool GSAddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sechelt, British Columbia
    Posts
    2,810
    Change out the lines to SS teflon. That has to be done no matter what.
    Then fill/flush thoroughly.
    If you can't get the modulator to function correctly after that, then have it rebuilt or bypass it.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

    Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

  8. #8
    Thanks for the replies. I have ordered speigler brake lines, the funnel and the dvd. Fingers crossed.

    -tp

  9. #9
    Registered User WWeldin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    14
    Module Masters is not currently re-building iABS. Please double check with them prior to removal, if that is the path you choose.

  10. #10
    Registered User dieselyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,326
    I would be looking at the sensors..............start with clearance.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

    “The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

  11. #11
    not so retired henzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    CENTEX USA
    Posts
    9,812
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    I would be looking at the sensors..............start with clearance.
    I thought that as a factor, but the high pressure code took me to blockage somewhere
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and club tire changer

    Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

  12. #12
    Registered User dieselyoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    1,326
    Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I thought that as a factor, but the high pressure code took me to blockage somewhere
    The simple things. The ECU on our bikes aren't AI yet. They are actually very dumb.

    I had the exact same issue on a k-bike this past summer. Chased ghosts for weeks. Turned out to be the alternator. Yep.

    Just fixed my buddie's 2005 F-150 with "low compression on #5, need to do the heads" and "we need to replace the EGR valve because of low flow" and "your rear abs sensor that we just replaced didn't help because we need to rebuild the rear end" with a new battery.

    Always start simple and then start again at simple.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

    “The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

  13. #13
    Again, thanks for the replies. I have the parts and tools coming in this weekend, will hopefully be able to do the brake line replacement and flush. I should be able to clean and check clearances on the sensors as well. We will see were that lands us.

    I have tested the battery at off, startup and idle and all appears well from a battery and charging perspective. The mechanic confirmed the same.

    This bike does have an aftermarket led modulated brake light. My experience with LEDs is that they draw less power than standard bulbs. I assume it could be possible that the draw on this is fluctuating and being detected as a failure. I would not expect that to result in a pressure to high, but weirder things happen.

    I have been suspecting a possible rear brake switch, and attempted to test that for open/close, but not sure if I am testing right. I removed the connector and put a lead on the female "hole" under the pin. I then ran a continuity check between the female hole and the pin above it and it stays closed/shorted, regardless of switch position. The same happens on both sides, as there are two pins and two female "holes" underneath them. I assume I should see an open when i depress the brake pedal and "open" the switch. The rear lights do come on as expected, so I assume I must be testing wrong. Any thoughts on testing the rear brake switch?

    As far as the module rebuild goes, i have submitted a request into module masters and will be monitoring that to see when they may be able to perform a rebuild. I read on one of the other forums that it may be as early as this month that they could start working the pipeline of requests.

    I'll update following any progress.

    Thanks to all,
    -Travis

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    St Lazare, Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    259
    Quote Originally Posted by tpmcleod24 View Post
    Again, thanks for the replies. I have the parts and tools coming in this weekend, will hopefully be able to do the brake line replacement and flush. I should be able to clean and check clearances on the sensors as well. We will see were that lands us.

    I have tested the battery at off, startup and idle and all appears well from a battery and charging perspective. The mechanic confirmed the same.

    This bike does have an aftermarket led modulated brake light. My experience with LEDs is that they draw less power than standard bulbs. I assume it could be possible that the draw on this is fluctuating and being detected as a failure. I would not expect that to result in a pressure to high, but weirder things happen.

    I have been suspecting a possible rear brake switch, and attempted to test that for open/close, but not sure if I am testing right. I removed the connector and put a lead on the female "hole" under the pin. I then ran a continuity check between the female hole and the pin above it and it stays closed/shorted, regardless of switch position. The same happens on both sides, as there are two pins and two female "holes" underneath them. I assume I should see an open when i depress the brake pedal and "open" the switch. The rear lights do come on as expected, so I assume I must be testing wrong. Any thoughts on testing the rear brake switch?

    As far as the module rebuild goes, i have submitted a request into module masters and will be monitoring that to see when they may be able to perform a rebuild. I read on one of the other forums that it may be as early as this month that they could start working the pipeline of requests.

    I'll update following any progress.

    Thanks to all,
    -Travis
    Just to reiterate from a previous post, I had a 2000 RT with ABS warning lights and original rubber brake lines. Upgraded the lines to stainless, purged and flushed the system and the problem went away. As you plan to replace the lines anyway, at least give it a try before you tear everything apart....?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    Just to reiterate from a previous post, I had a 2000 RT with ABS warning lights and original rubber brake lines. Upgraded the lines to stainless, purged and flushed the system and the problem went away. As you plan to replace the lines anyway, at least give it a try before you tear everything apart....?
    Agreed, that is the plan. I plan to replace lines and flush and see how things work out. I would not be looking to remove the module until i have attempted the lines, flush and sensor validation.

Similar Threads

  1. iabs and Module Masters
    By baronk in forum Motorrad
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-20-2016, 01:52 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-10-2015, 11:49 PM
  3. IABS Question
    By Dave_Faria in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2009, 07:54 PM
  4. iABS fault on '02 RT-P
    By OfficerImpersonator in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-01-2008, 01:44 AM
  5. iABS BRAKE SERVO
    By DAVIS2X1 in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 07-02-2008, 11:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •