Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New purchase, iabs failure fun

Don’t forget to include a careful look at brake lever/hand lever operation and the microswitches associated with them, as a malfunction there can also trigger an ABS fault.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S PD — 1993 R100GS — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quick update....brake lines replaced, fluids replaced and bled. So far, all is clear, will be test driving this evening.

I did have a rookie mistake with with one of the fluid level sensors on the module. I was cleaning up some minor spillage that had gotten into the connectors when removing the funnel. I bent one of the pins in the front circuit fluid level sensor connector and it ultimately broke off when trying to straighten it out. I was able to insert a piece of wire into the connector and after a few tries was able to get it to make contact with the "stub" on the male side. So far, no codes being thrown. If codes get thrown from the sensor, i will need to figure out a more permanent solution (hopefully not having to replace the module)...

Fingers crossed, drive test tonight weather permitting..

-tp

I now own a really nice low mileage 2004 rt with a functioning brake system. Went for a 35 mile ride and experienced no issues or lights. Every ride before had a the issue occur within 15 to 20 miles of riding. So far so good.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and support.

For reference, I drained brakes, replaced lines with speigler kit, filled and then bled. The initial drain still showed some dirty fluid, either left from the previous flush or due to the brake lines braking down very badly.

WARNING: Be very careful with the fluid level sensor connectors on the abs unit, the two pins do not favor morons.

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Glad you got that resolved. I had an ‘04 RT and it still is a great looking bike.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Glad you got that resolved. I had an ‘04 RT and it still is a great looking bike.
    Not to mention a great riding bike.
    '
    Ufda happens..........

Need your R11xx Hall sensor rewired? PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by tpmcleod24 View Post
    I now own a really nice low mileage 2004 rt with a functioning brake system. Went for a 35 mile ride and experienced no issues or lights. Every ride before had a the issue occur within 15 to 20 miles of riding. So far so good.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and support.

For reference, I drained brakes, replaced lines with speigler kit, filled and then bled. The initial drain still showed some dirty fluid, either left from the previous flush or due to the brake lines braking down very badly.

WARNING: Be very careful with the fluid level sensor connectors on the abs unit, the two pins do not favor morons.
    Glad you were able to fix without rebuilding the ABS module, another happy ending. Also, I'm another owner of an '04 RT. It too was a new to me bike. But the previous owner kept meticulous service records, plus routine brake fluid flushes. I'll continue with the flushes on a regular basis and plan of replacing the brake lines soon.

IMG_2513 (2).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by r184 View Post
    Glad you were able to fix without rebuilding the ABS module, another happy ending. Also, I'm another owner of an '04 RT. It too was a new to me bike. But the previous owner kept meticulous service records, plus routine brake fluid flushes. I'll continue with the flushes on a regular basis and plan of replacing the brake lines soon.
    Beautiful bike. Any mods you would like to share? Also, what tires are you running and would you recommend them?

Thanks!

All, I forgot to mention that I received a response from module masters:

"We've started the early stages of production with this rebuild and are currently working through the waiting list. Rebuild price will be $750 when it becomes available and will include the 5-year warranty"

Quote Originally Posted by tpmcleod24 View Post
    Beautiful bike. Any mods you would like to share? Also, what tires are you running and would you recommend them?

Thanks!
    Sent you a private message, check your notifications tab.