• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bicycling thread

We've been continuing to cycle, too, in this time of "shelter-in-place". Fortunately, our "shelter-in-place" order allows you to leave the house for exercise. We stretch it a bit and drive to an even-lower trafficked area to begin our rides. Yes, we do practice "social distancing" while riding. (We ride tandem, but since we live in the same house, we're good!)

Our Sunday rides have been really enjoyable, as the roads are running about 10% of what the traffic was before the order was issued.

Stay safe, and keep pedaling!

Is the top one a old Velodrome bike? No brakes.
Maybe it was setup to break a top speed record?

Is the top one a old Velodrome bike? No brakes.
Maybe it was setup to break a top speed record?

I read a story on it last week... the chainring has a company name machined in and yes, a very fast bike

I’ll look for article
I rode a Brookes saddle like that in the 70’s

9F41DEF2-7E5E-4FA1-A702-59A5694ACED1.jpeg

Not same bike but similar design... it was fast alone, he set record drafting behind a pace car

The Detroit is a modern limited production, they build bikes currently

37B6BB0D-4CBF-4128-B578-EBBA7FEBE25C.jpeg
Yesterday on allowed exercise outing

One of H’s “ favorite “ climbs... she typically would be flashing an ADV salute my way but was in climb mode luckily!
Temp was in 90’s and humidity had a real feel of 104 by time we saw weather station at home... no snow though!

Nice Roubaix

Is that a shock seatpost?

Thanks...it's an older one, but still rides really nice. The carbon fiber frame does a nice job of absorbing the road surface.

No, that's a twist tie I keep around the seat post...I use it to attach my jacket to the bike if it gets too warm. Being at elevation, a ride can start pretty chilly, but get quite warm quickly when the sun rises higher in the sky.

No, that's a twist tie I keep around the seat post...I use it to attach my jacket to the bike if it gets too warm. Being at elevation, a ride can start pretty chilly, but get quite warm quickly when the sun rises higher in the sky.

That's a great idea I never thought of.
Is a twist tie one of those plastic coated flexible things?

A long one of these??
811O2C66DsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A couple of my bikes

After lurking for awhile on this thread - and interjecting my sage comments (aka "opinionated" comments), thought I'd share pics of two of my bikes.

One might be called The GT and the other The GS. Also have The Rat - but no pic of that one (yet).

Attachments

• IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1330.jpeg
    IMG_1330.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 64
Seems I recall Sampson for making all sorts of bike components, cool stuff that had some detail.
A bud showed up on one and we didn't ride for awhile checking his bike out. He always bought one off kinda stuff and we hated him...jealous maybe?
Is it aluminum or ti?
Is that their front hub or a Phil Wood?

We used Suntour bar end shifters way back and routed cables thru the bars...your mean buddy couldn't reach over and throw your shifter into a high gear as he sailed by! Think I still have a set of my brothers he drilled holes in...a machinist in training, he drilled EVERYTHING! Fun times!

Does that fender really help on the hard tail? Cool Kona!

After lurking for awhile on this thread - and interjecting my sage comments (aka "opinionated" comments), thought I'd share pics of two of my bikes.

One might be called The GT and the other The GS. Also have The Rat - but no pic of that one (yet).

Nice.
I don't think I've seen that bar shape before on your road bike.

The Sampson is ti framed. Late 1990s I think. I've had it over twenty years.

It's a bit of an oddball. Eric Sampson, I understand, was a triathlon enthusiast, but the geometry of this frameset gives it squirrelly quick handling - more like a criterium bike. The rear triangle though is a total noodle, despite the short chain stays. I can actually look down and see the flexion when I jump on the pedals. It's supposedly built from Soviet ti, which they sold off following the collapse of the USSR. Probably non butted . Every tube is perfectly round. A fledgling local builder fabbed up the nickel platted steel fork for me which helped tame the handling.

It's actually a decent long haul bike - gives a smooth soft ride.

My wife bought the frame for me as a surprise years ago from a bike shop owner I rode with at the time. He was a hard core randnonneur, rode Boston-Montreal-Boston and Paris-Brest-Paris. Later told me he never liked the bike. He replaced it with a ti Serrota.

The wheel set is Cane Creek. Picked them up used - they are the best component on the bike. The handlebar is a Nitto North Road. My shoulder with an old rotator cuff injury likes it.

The Kona Honzo is the sweetest bike I have ever ridden. Bought it as a retirement gift to myself three years ago. The rear fender helps keep mud off the dropper seat post but that's about all it does.

Good story on bike. No lugs looked odd at joints being used on other high end steel frames when those came out.
I recall Teledyne and the first gen Litespeeds using Soviet aircraft ti. May have continued for years, but it was a Cold War oddity to hear.
Boone’s Cycles in Houston had a Teledyne frame hanging next to the Mercian frame I bought in ‘72... beautiful,but way out of my price range as a fifteen year old! Rode a early Litespeed a Rice U professor had and thought it wiggled in hard cornering.

Back