Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling thread

I may give this a shot. I haven't had a light on my bicycle since the old generator rubbing on the wheel.
    John Simonds
    2017 R 1200 GS Adventure
    1975 Norton Commando 850 Roadster Mk 3
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Just finished putting together Ď03 giant TCR elite 0, with ten speed DA. Thatís a one year only TCR. 175 cranks. Last year for the 6000 Allixx main tubes, carbon forks front, rear and stays. Had to go with 451 long reach calipers. For some reason the lighter DAs couldnít reach? Originally was a stock nine speed, so upgrade. Occasionally a nice frame pops up.

Nice bike, were brake mounts off for some reason? Is it a Team Once replica?

One of my daughters is looking at road bikes and is having sticker shock, even with a frame up possible build
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

No team TCR. Found a couple yellow early ONCE frames but were too rough to waste the cash. I mean beat up. Used stuff needs no dents, cracks, bends. Also, there was a recall on those early forks. Check interweb.

I ride only (mid 70s), for exercise, serenity, health; around 5000 acre paved park trails. Throw bike in the xB, up to park and bliss.

Winter is fun cleaning up the bikes in the front room. Big southern facing windows. Lots of Vitamin D.

Also transferring newer Ultegra set to Ď04 Alan Ultral that has carbon fork and seat stays. Iím hanging up the Giant OCR1 as itís too stiff for me. For the street I ride Giant XTCNRS1. For cracks potholes and such.

This year the latest I rode was Dec. 10th. Days are getting longer since the 21st. Almost springtime. Gonna snow all night. Gotta shovel tomorrow. Exercise with a purpose.

About the brake caliper reach on the TCR. Tire clearance is deeper than regular road frame. Why? I have no clue. Original specs have 7700BR equipment. However, 105, Ultegra and DA, extend only to 49mm. The 451 extends to 57. With the OCR frame made for the street, accommodating wide tire/fenders etc., 451s are also needed. The difference in weight is a few grams. Which to me is irrelevant. I hogged out material on an old Ultegra caliper. There wasnít enough material to cover the brake rim. 700x23 tires.

Havenít found a Giant site discussing this. On the Alan forks front and rear, index finger doesnít fit between tire and forks. With TCR same finger passes through. Again, go figure? Beside a strictly track/racing frame, the elite0 is supposed to be Giantís top road frame? For 2003. Am getting an actual BR7700 from that era; however, theyíre specified at 49 too. FWIW, whatever.

Thatís odd for sure. Glad you found the workaround

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Good one
    One time I came up to a old couple walking in the center of the trail holding hands.
    One went left and one went right while still holding hands.
    I stopped before they figured out to let go of each other.
    The three of us just laughed.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

No ride, and what is this stuff?

5F2E3FDE-2E11-49C6-B4B3-5EA3CC3F8317.jpeg

Texas pow?
    Rinty

60 F and sunny so I got out for a short ride. First ride of the year.
    Our snow is gone now except piles and drifts.

3-4-2021 (1).jpg

The ice is getting thin. I saw water along the shore in a couple places.

3-4-2021 (2).jpg

When I stopped at the above picture I saw nine deer run across the ice.
    They all made it.

After that I saw two groups of 10 or 12 running across fields. Two almost ran into the side of a truck.

Also saw several thousand Geese. Canadian and Snow Geese.
    A lady I know who lives on the edge of the park said the Snow Geese had just showed up today.
    Pelicans should migrate through in a few weeks.
    Most winters the Canadians stay all winter and are able to keep open water on one section of the lake.
    Not sure what they did when we had that two weeks of really cold weather.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

70F and sunny yesterday. Took the SUV out on an important errand. Two and a half 12-packs* of stout and a bottle of wine fit in those bags! Good ride- I'm ready for the next winter freeze.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jad01; 03-06-2021 at 02:43 PM. Reason: *12-packs not cases- as a home brewer, when I think cases, I think 22oz 12 bombers...oops! Still happy with he panniers! ;)
    Jim (MOA 83200)
    '78 R80/7 (Anastasia) and '84 R100RS (The Millennium Falcon), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '97 Nissan XE PU (Mighty Mouse)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas, baby!)

We can get out and have, just a BREEZY month! Spring is close

F8CEC8E1-F20E-49FE-96D7-50AE0C936F17.jpeg

Thursday and gusts over 35mph... builds character!

Sunny and 60 today.

20210306_153753.jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I check in every once in awhile to see if anything is happening. I'm glad to see pictures start popping up now that riding season is almost here. Even Texas has snow! And $16000 electricity bills . I kid...

Today was about 70 degrees here in central NY and it really felt like spring has sprung. It will be short lived but it has given us hope. Vaccines are being administered and restaurants are starting to open. This time of year is when we normally emerge from hibernation and shake off our cabin fever - this year we are shaking off an extra helping.

First, I'll add some pictures from last weekend. Michelle and I took our fat tire bikes up to a bay on Lake Ontario for some fun on the ice. As it turns out, the fat bikes didn't do all that great on the ice even with almost no air pressure. The ice had melted and then refroze and it was like a giant hockey rink. I wish I had skates.

My friend loves the adrenaline rush of being on two wheels (downhill MTB, flat track and motocross). He went full ATGATT for a ride on my fat bike. He could ride in a straight line for 10 or 20 feet before losing it. Turns weren't even a consideration:

IceFat.jpg

For his bike, he used an electric drill to screw a gazillion screws into some extremely knobby tires. In this case the POINT of the screw is sticking out! He doesn't mess around. It worked great - we all rode his bike and it worked fantastic. So well that Michelle wants studs on her fat tire bike so we can ride on glare ice.

Here, my buddy is going to tow one of our other friend's son. The youngster was excited - we gave him explicit instructions: if you start sliding toward the rear tire, let go of the rope! He has a frisbee under his butt as the sliding puck. Fun was had by all but ended when the youngster did have to let go of the rope, it got caught in the rear mech and ripped the derailleur hanger off the bike. No worries, my friend has a stock pile of hangers and rear derailleurs because this happens all the time.

IceTow.jpg

Michelle and I don't have motocross gear so our ATGATT consisted of our motorcycle jackets and some knee and hip pads:

IceStich.jpg