• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

In going through old pictures to find some examples of the Erie Canal (I found TONS, but I won't bore you), I ended up taking a trip down memory lane. While in our 20's, Michelle and I realized that we had some employment related skills that would allow us to live pretty much anywhere we wanted. We travelled a lot and, in the back of our mind, we were always checking places out as a potential home base. In the end, we never moved. Not because we couldn't find awesome places - but they didn't add up to being significantly better than our snowy, rainy, buggy NY. I found a couple of pictures that sum up what I love about my home. I apologize for no bicycle or BMW content.

Blue Mountain.jpeg

Skaneateles.jpeg

Central NY.jpeg

And this is what remains of the Richmond aquaduct, completed in 1856. This is part of the second iteration of the canal. It was the second largest aquaduct on the canal it is located in Montezuma, NY
I would enjoy that trail and being able to see the aquaduct.

Yesterday was the 47th BRR bicycle ride. Bike Ride to Rippey, and back.
Click image for larger version  Name:    Screenshot (246).png Views:    1 Size:    165.2 KB ID:    54215

Inside the Hotel Pattee
Click image for larger version  Name:    Hotel Pattee.jpg Views:    1 Size:    326.8 KB ID:    54216

Debbie was able to get her favorite seat while she waited for me.
Click image for larger version  Name:    Hotel.jpg Views:    1 Size:    414.8 KB ID:    54217

Temps were 36 to 38F during the ride. 20 to 25 mph winds with light fog making it damp.
Click image for larger version  Name:    Perry.jpg Views:    1 Size:    358.1 KB ID:    54218

A Iowa grocery store chain usually has a big fire, hot chocolate and booze along the route. It's hard to see it over by the red and yellow trailer. The large logs were glowing red. I'm surprised
the couple in the high vis jackets were standing on the downwind side. I could feel the heat from the road.
Click image for larger version  Name:    fire 2.jpg Views:    1 Size:    453.7 KB ID:    54219

A church in Rippey has a hot meal and pie. I always head strait to the pie.
Click image for larger version  Name:    pie2.jpg Views:    1 Size:    196.3 KB ID:    54220

More pictures from the news paper.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/pi...y/72464217007/

Because of the new forum software I was able to Copy and Paste this report from another forum.
This new forum setup is great.

Lee
Iowa
2022 R1250RS White Sport

Last edited:
Also in nearby Eugene, OR, is the headquarters of Co-Motion Cycles (makers of great singles & tandems), Burley Design (makers of great trailers and clothing), and Bike Friday (already discussed). And in the component world, Rolf-Prima -- makers of some of the best spoked wheels you can buy for your tandem or singles -- is also located in Eugene. (Eugene is about 125 miles from Redmond, OR).
In 2013, the National Rally was in Salem, Or (not too far from Redmond). On our way up from San Diego, we stopped in Eugene for a tour of Green Gear Cycling (the makers of the Bike Friday). Michelle got her Bike Friday in 2008 and wanted to get a new custom made stem - so we carried the adjustable stem with us and dropped it off with them to make the new one. So the company isn't too far from the rally site. Heck we rode from Redmond over to Eugene to get oil filters at the BMW dealer there during one of the previous rallies (we've been to both - 2002 and 2010 maybe?). There was no filter to be found at the rally site. As I was changing my oil, (K75) a guy came over and asked me if he could have my OLD filter! That was how bad it was. :)

Regarding the Erie Canal: It is a long flat ride. The villages along the way are great and you go through all of the major upstate NY cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany). To me, if it is below i90, it is downstate. There are some parts that are particularly boring - but some that are great. We stayed at B&Bs (and our house, which is about 5 miles from the canal trail). We did the 380 (ish) miles in 6 segments - so 60 to 70 miles per day and it was enjoyable. We picked the hottest week of the year - July, every day hit 100, so there were some shadeless sections that ground us down between Rochester and Lockport.

To me, the interesting thing about the Erie canal was that it was the beginning of civil engineering as a discipline. It was a massive undertaking but the payoff was equally massive. It was the catalyst for the settlement of the midwest, and eventually the far west. It was the beginning of the US as an industrial giant. After the canal was built, the cities I mentioned above flourished but were also set up for ecological disaster to follow. We had car companies, steel companies, chemical and oil, salt and other mining, heck at one time we had a number of bicycle companies right here in Syracuse! Camillus Knives was right along the banks of Nine Mile Creek which fed the canal (now Camillus is made in China and sold in Walmart). Our waterways were dumping grounds for the pollution stemming from the industry. Heavy metals filled our local lake (Onondaga - when I moved here I was told that it was the most polluted in the country).

The area has undergone a massive cleanup. Honeywell spent years dredging the lake and developing wetlands on the shores. Now it is a stopping ground for migrating birds - and we even have a number of bald eagles living in the giant trees along the shore.
My wife and I attended the L.A.W. National (Bicycle) Rally in 1983, in Seattle. After the rally, we toured for a week in the San Juan Islands on our tandem. Great scenery, great rides. We've also toured around Salem, OR, Eugene, OR, and Bend, OR (not all in the same year), and most recently, we toured with Santana Tours along the Columbia River Gorge and the Snake River, visiting Astoria, OR, Pendleton, OR, Mt St Helens, and more. I can highly recommend bicycle touring in the Pacific Northwest.

I've also toured by tandem in New York (state), including riding the tow path along the Erie Canal. Flat riding at its best! And we've bike toured from Hartford, CT, to Rochester, NY, biking along the southern tier (Not Flat!) This country has some great areas for bike touring. We usually don't do the massive cross-state rides. but have enjoyed some great weekend rides (TOSRV in OH is one I can recommend, too!)

*TOSRV in OH is one I can recommend, too!*
I just looked into TOSRV. Looks like a great fall event and it's only a stones throw from home. Thanks for the recommendation.

In going through old pictures to find some examples of the Erie Canal (I found TONS, but I won't bore you), I ended up taking a trip down memory lane. While in our 20's, Michelle and I realized that we had some employment related skills that would allow us to live pretty much anywhere we wanted. We travelled a lot and, in the back of our mind, we were always checking places out as a potential home base. In the end, we never moved. Not because we couldn't find awesome places - but they didn't add up to being significantly better than our snowy, rainy, buggy NY. I found a couple of pictures that sum up what I love about my home. I apologize for no bicycle or BMW content.

View attachment 96661
Reminds me of the blue skies we used to get on Ektachrome film. Was this a phone camera?

Santana Tours along the Columbia River Gorge
Now there's an international schedule of tours worth saving up for.... One of the guys I used to race with does one a year with his wife. Last was Japan during the Cherry Blossom Festivals.

(The wife and I had a Santana for years, and then one trip, she looked up from pedaling realized her view sucked. I'm 6'3" and she's 5'6" - so with the height of the captain's saddle, you can see her problem with traditional tandems.)

Back