Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Good job on avoiding the ****
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

We agreed to not leave that late in the morning again this time of year.
    I still have to wait for afternoon so it's warm enough.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We're with Lee. I'm looking forward to being able to ride in the morning!

Today was a first for the year: at 9am the temperature outside was WARMER than the temp inside. Maybe that just means we keep the house temp too warm?

We usually don't turn on our AC on until Memorial Day. I may have to jump the gun this year - the sun is really beating down on the house.

Great animal pictures. We don't get much livestock in the road around here. I've even noticed a trend over the last few years that the rural folks are doing a better job at keeping their dogs from chasing bikes. We get the occasional family of geese crossing the road.

Here is a picture from our trip to Ireland last year:

Sheep.jpg

Notice how touristy we are: both stopped taking photos!

In 2013 or so we were on a motorcycle tour in Utah and were way up in elevation headed toward Brian Head from the east. There was no traffic there - very remote - and it was cold and rainy. Maybe even light snow. In July. All of a sudden a WALL of sheep was coming toward us. I pulled right into the middle of the road and shut the bike down. The sheep went around us like we were an island in a river. After quite a while, a few herders on horseback brought up the tail end. We proceeded on our way. When we got to the hotel that night, we noticed that our bikes were caked in sheep crap. It had baked onto the mufflers and was packed everywhere: belly pan of the K75s, nooks and crannies of the R11. And you really noticed it when you came to a stop.

The mandatory Irish sheep picture. I love it over there.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    The mandatory Irish sheep picture. I love it over there.
    Ditto the New Zealand South Island.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It was over 60 by 7:00 this morning up in Michigan. Time to get on my gear and head out. I love riding in the morning. It's really great to get out of the basement and off the trainer. Soon it will be too hot to ride in the afternoon here. We just never seem to get a decent Spring up here on the shores of Lake Huron. We go from 40's to 80's too quickly.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Some talk about old mountain bikes but no pictures!

Yesterday I cleaned up my fat bike and figured I would get the MTB out of the shed. Pumped up the tires and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Lots of good memories on this bike. It has done races, single track, fire roads, beaches, lots of trips to breweries, fourth of July fireworks ... it is my old buddy. Two winters ago I took everything off of it and cleaned and lubed everything from headset to a new bottom bracket. Most components are original on this bike - even the pedals and seat! I put new chains and cassettes on but that is about it.

1997 or 98 Gary Fisher Big Sur.

BigSur.jpg

I love that color. When I had the parts off, I used rubbing compound, swirl remover and wax to get it as nice as I could - but this bike has seen a lot of incidents.

That bike brought back a memory of the first event that we did that prompted me to become interested in training - and eventually into many years of triathlon competition.

In early 1998, Michelle and I had new mountain bikes and we would ride really long distance on dirt roads: like 3 or 4 miles! We had no idea what was possible. A few of my fraternity buddies who were into mountain biking talked us into doing a triathlon at Killington Mountain in Vermont. The three legs were: Mogul skiing, mountain biking and trail running. The only thing I had any business doing was the skiing part. But this took place on Memorial Day - there was only snow at Killington Peak and it was spotty. In sections you had to take off your skis and run downhill in ski boots to the next snow patch. I am not very good at that. When I got onto the mountain bike leg, It went straight uphill almost immediately. I couldn't believe people could ride up that. I walked. Then the run started out very easy: because I was running downhill for the first half (1.5 miles) and then had to run back up for the finish. I jogged down. Walked up. I finished exhausted. I was too young to be that out of shape! I finished in the bottom 25% of participants. I enjoyed my post race beer but a seed had been planted: I will not perform that poorly again! How do you get good at this stuff? My buddies kicked my ass - that wasn't going to happen again.

No postings since my last one over a week ago! I hope you are all out riding either bicycles or motos.

It is June 1st so my May challenge of riding 1250km (777mi) with 7500m (24600 ft) of elevation gain is over. Since I was yammering on about it, I figured I would tie it up with a final report.

I ended up doing 1516km (942mi) with 12451m (40850 ft) of elevation. That included 23 rides to various villages in our region, all rides started and ended at our house. Michelle rode 22 of those rides with me and ended up with 1km more distance and 150m more elevation. Strava ranks you relative to the participants in the challenge so I found it interesting that in the distance challenge I ended up about 25000th out of 450000. In the climbing challenge I was 50000th out of 400000. I'm surprised that many people enter these kind of things!

Here is a heat map showing all the rides. Light blue means we were only on the road once. The darker blue to red means we did the ride multiple times. The really red routes are dictated by the locations of two things: bridges that cross the Seneca river and places to cross highways, particularly route 90.

Heatmap.001.jpg

There is one ride missing from this plot where my phone app crashed and I lost my GPS data. I have distance and time data from my bike computer, though.

Our ride yesterday was a pleasant 41 miles to a local fish hatchery. We took our gravel bikes and found a gravel road, the Erie canal and a little off roading at the hatchery.

Whiskey Hollow Road is the only local gravel road that we have. There aren't any residences along the road, it is nicely wooded and there is a spring halfway up the road. There are always folks filling up bottles there. I wish there were more places like this within easy cycling distance.

WhiskeyHollow.jpg

Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery is both a hatchery and a county park. It is currently closed except for 'passive use'. We enjoy stopping by and checking out the fish. The tank behind Michelle holds some giant rainbow trout. Tough to see through the bird netting. Most of the tanks are empty now but there are a few running water tanks that have a bunch of brown trout in various stages of development. My first century ride 20 something years ago began and ended at this park.

FishHatchery.jpg

Our last village sign of the month.

Memphis.jpg

And a pleasant jaunt on the canal trail.

CanalPath.jpg

In summary, this wasn't all that difficult of a challenge. Just riding is pretty easy, actually, if you have the time. My top end speed and power definitely took a hit this month but I have noticed that my ability to recover from hard efforts is fantastic. After a steep hill, my heart rate drops almost immediately. So my cardiovascular fitness has improved. This is what I was hoping for: base building. I won't keep up this type of distance, I'll dial it back to maybe 1000km per month and add real workouts back in. I'm still 3+ months away from any events, though.

Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Congrats on your challenge, it is crazy how many folks are participating I assume worldwide.

We are riding, just nothing out of ordinary to post. I threw my hands up after yet another flat and am trying one of these as I said goodbye to my patch heavy rear tube.
    Not concerned with heavier tube, I’ll just not eat that extra scoop of ice cream for a few nights��

F69DBF16-C158-427D-B4C1-1D9658DBD6A9.jpeg

Two rides with junk on the road and no roadside show!

What’s weird, in a good way I guess, is the lack of tubes from usual sources including two locals. Trying to find a 28 mm tube with a 50 ish stem length has been quite a challenge. Out of stock is repeated... found these from REI online. The current bike craze and supply chain issues combined have added to the fun
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Congrats on your challenge, it is crazy how many folks are participating I assume worldwide.

We are riding, just nothing out of ordinary to post. I threw my hands up after yet another flat and am trying one of these as I said goodbye to my patch heavy rear tube.
    Not concerned with heavier tube, Ill just not eat that extra scoop of ice cream for a few nights��
    Yes, that is worldwide. Strava has a heck of a user base!

Those tubes look like a gateway to a tubeless setup. I've put just about 1000 miles on my two main bikes: 600 on the road bike, 400 on the gravel bike. All tubeless and no flats. I don't even think about flats any more. My last flat was last July - on a tire with a tube.

I just got a big bottle of sealant in the mail yesterday. Enough to 'recharge' all of the wheels. I'm not looking forward to that task. When I deflate the tires, the beads pop off and I have to reseat them. That is the tough part. Motorcycle tires are easier to seat.

Speaking of weight - over all those miles I lost 1 lb! I drink too much beer. I've decided to lose 10lbs over the next couple of months to make climbing faster. I'll cut down on liquid carbs.

Went for a toodle around the neighbourhood on my fixie yesterday, first time I'm thrown a leg over anything this year but it has inspired me to get out for a Mtn bike ride today or tomorrow.
    IMG_3024_heic-XL.jpg
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

FFF - fatties fit fine!

Skibum, I have to ask: what do NL-ers think about the TV show the Republic of Doyle? We don't have a lot of insight into Canadian life here. I'm less than 2 hours away from the border and our local news doesn't even show Canada when they forecast the weather. Everything stops at that border.

I have visited Canada often. When I was in college, we would hop the border to buy beer and go to clubs because the drinking age was lower. So we have a soft spot in our hearts for Canadian produced shows like Anne With and E (and the Green Gables mini-series 30 years ago) and The Grand Seduction. We don't agree so much about Trailer Park Boys. I'm a fan.

Back to bikes: enjoy getting out on the MTB! My old MTB is driving me crazy. It has always had a 'creak' - I can't even remember when it started but it was when the bike was getting heavy trail duty. I thought it might be BB or suspension but now I have isolated it to neither of those things. I can make the creak (or maybe described as a 'click') when I push down on the back of the seat. It is not the clamp,post, or seat: I have tried different versions of all of those. I can get the noise to happen in a work stand with the wheels off the ground. I finally found that I could get it to happen if I push down on the top tube - but it isn't as loud.

My guess would be a cracked frame but I've gone over every inch of the frame and don't see anything. It also hasn't gotten worse over the years - just an annoying creak with saddle pressure. You know the sound that an aluminum can makes when you indent it a little and then get it to 'pop' back? Like that.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    Went for a toodle around the neighbourhood on my fixie yesterday, first time I'm thrown a leg over anything this year but it has inspired me to get out for a Mtn bike ride today or tomorrow.
    IMG_3024_heic-XL.jpg
    Is that hand sanitizer in the bottle cage?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown