• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

Reminds me of a funny brewery ending location story from a former annual Century ride from Austin,TX to Shiner... home of the Spoetzl Brewery and Shiner Bock.

I will admit that in 1998 I started reading the (what is now called a) blog by Kristin Armstrong about her husband's return from cancer to the pro peloton. It was such an inspiration to me. Reading about the whole thing from her POV while it was happening (there were some very tough times - she wasn't even sure if he would make it back to be a pro, let alone what he became (ha!)). But they both would celebrate the little victories and special moments with their favorite beer: Shiner Bock. At that time we couldn't get it in the northeast. In the early aughts we took a trip to Houston and Galveston and were able to get Shiner. We were so excited! I am still a fan. When it comes to 'regular' beer, I like Shiner Bock and Yuengling (PA). Shiner tastes like a sweet desert oasis to me. Yuengling like a stream through an autumn forest. No comparison to craft brew but I love it for what it is.

In 1999 I learned how pro stage racing really works. My buddies and I only talked about racing for the whole month of July. It was glorious. That was when I was became hooked on road cycling. Now I look back with such mixed emotions. I'm glad to have adopted the sport but I'm sad that the whole timeframe was so tainted by doping. I so wanted to believe - like a preteen not wanting to give up on Santa Claus. I bought all of his books, I wore the damned yellow wristband. At least I didn't buy the team kit (please admit if you did, I won't judge :)). Now I don't even go out of my way to watch the tour.

But this year there won't be a tour. I took it for granted. I didn't watch but it was a comfort that it was happening. I always figured I would make it to France some July to watch the spectacle. Now I'm going to miss it.

I am going to try to create a rack for my RT that will hold the folded Bike Friday....

If you have any success (or even failures) with this project, please share results here.

I enjoy bicycling quite a bit more than motorcycling. The idea of going on long motorcycle trips without having a bicycle readily available is not appealing to me.

I’ve always admired the BikeFriday rides and wondered if there might be a way to safely carry one on a motorcycle. Any progress you make on this would be of great interest. Take lots of photos!:thumb

Check this out www.2x2cycles.com I have never seen or used one, but it does look different.

I THINK the 2x2 guys have been at our MOA rallies? Or someone with the same idea. I talked to the guys at Johnson City (I think?) - but it wouldn't work for me because my main bike was an R1100S with no rear rack. They were gearing their system for GS type bikes.

My idea is having something similar but smaller and specifically for the Bike Friday. The footprint will be much smaller because the handlebar/stem can be removed and attached to the rack, the seat mast folds down, and the rear wheel can be 'tucked under' creating a small package. Also the front wheel mount can be much smaller because of the reduced diameter.

I won't go the route of mounting the suitcase. That giant sail would drive me nuts within 5 miles.

I'll try to make up a 2x4/PVC/Zip tie mockup this weekend. We have similar racks on my RT and her ST so one design may be usable on both bikes.

Vark, I won't go as far as saying I like bicycling more than motorcycling but I've often been on a motorcycle wishing I was on a bicycle. Never the other way around.

I got excited so I went into the basement and mounted a fork clamp to my homemade bike lift to show what the footprint will look like. Not the same as being on the motorcycle but you can get the gist:

FridayMockup1.jpg

FridayMockup2.jpg

I got excited so I went into the basement and mounted a fork clamp to my homemade bike lift to show what the footprint will look like. Not the same as being on the motorcycle but you can get the gist:

I think I'll try to put the front wheel on the same side as the handlebar.

My idea is having something similar but smaller and specifically for the Bike Friday. The footprint will be much smaller because the handlebar/stem can be removed and attached to the rack, the seat mast folds down, and the rear wheel can be 'tucked under' creating a small package. Also the front wheel mount can be much smaller because of the reduced diameter.

I looked at the Bike Friday site and the smaller size when broke down looks like it would be manageable when mounted on a motorcycle.
The only bike rack I've seen up close hangs the bicycle further back than I would like.

P1000456.JPG

P1000457.JPG

Bike Friday Rack Breadboard

So I found some scrap I had laying around and made a wood/PVC/Zip tie breadboard (in this case it really is close to a breadboard) of a potential rack.

This could be very easy to make, even with my limited metalworking capability. I don't think I would need to weld anything. Just bolts, I would put holes in so I could run a cable lock or 2 through everything.

Keeping the handlebar/stem on makes it taller - but the rack is simpler.

FridayOnRT1.jpg

FridayOnRT2.jpg

FridayOnRT3.jpg

Looks like I would need a cover for the seat and shifters? Would I get bugs and dust back there? With the RT fairing there may be enough coverage not to worry. I normally tour with a box on the back and there are some bugs that hit that - but maybe just on the sides.

Just timed the unmount/unfold process. 100 seconds. That may be a little optimistic since I don't have a chain on (cleaning it). The chain tends to pop off the chainring when folded. Just need to place back on and spin the crank. Maybe 10 more seconds?

For the detail oriented among you: notice the 12 pack of Shiner Octoberfest empties in the background :).

FridayUnfolded.jpg

Thanks for showing your rack ideas.

Would it be possible to flip the folded bicycle over (meaning rotate it 180* fore-and-aft), and then use the open "forks" where the seat-stay attaches to the seat-tube to mount the bike to the bread board and/or rack? By the photos, it seems like this orientation would get the entire bicycle lower (both form and cg) compared to using the front wheel fork.

So I found some scrap I had laying around and made a wood/PVC/Zip tie breadboard (in this case it really is close to a breadboard) of a potential rack.

That's something I could live with.
Your bicycle probably weighs about the same as a BMW 49 topcase.

It looks to me like you already have your rack. A couple coats of Thompson Water Seal on the wood and it will outlast the seat on the bike by a couple of decades. :)

It looks to me like you already have your rack. A couple coats of Thompson Water Seal on the wood and it will outlast the seat on the bike by a couple of decades. :)

In the early 90's, Michelle had a small block Guzzi w/ a rear rack that had wood strips inlaid. I think it was teak. Every year we would sand and oil it. Guzzi's are like sailboats...

And for how much that saddle cost, it better last a long time!!!

Now for something different...

Just got back from a ride. Brrrr. I stopped and took a photo just so I could post it on this thread. What has happened to me?

This is a bike I built up 12 years ago. I bought the frame, fork (both steel) and wheels (specific to track/fixed gear) but all of the other parts came off of our old bikes.

I really love riding fixed gear. It is almost silent. There is little maintenance. It is surprisingly fast. The only thing that is tough are hills. Not the up, the down. It forces you to develop a good high speed spin (or else you have to brake hard going down). Todays ride was about 1200 ft of elevation gain in 21 miles. So not flat. I wouldn't chose to ride it up a mountain, though.

FixedGear2.jpg

Last edited:
Back