Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Good job on avoiding the ****
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    We agreed to not leave that late in the morning again this time of year.
    I still have to wait for afternoon so it's warm enough.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    We're with Lee. I'm looking forward to being able to ride in the morning!

Today was a first for the year: at 9am the temperature outside was WARMER than the temp inside. Maybe that just means we keep the house temp too warm?

We usually don't turn on our AC on until Memorial Day. I may have to jump the gun this year - the sun is really beating down on the house.

Great animal pictures. We don't get much livestock in the road around here. I've even noticed a trend over the last few years that the rural folks are doing a better job at keeping their dogs from chasing bikes. We get the occasional family of geese crossing the road.

Here is a picture from our trip to Ireland last year:

Sheep.jpg

Notice how touristy we are: both stopped taking photos!

In 2013 or so we were on a motorcycle tour in Utah and were way up in elevation headed toward Brian Head from the east. There was no traffic there - very remote - and it was cold and rainy. Maybe even light snow. In July. All of a sudden a WALL of sheep was coming toward us. I pulled right into the middle of the road and shut the bike down. The sheep went around us like we were an island in a river. After quite a while, a few herders on horseback brought up the tail end. We proceeded on our way. When we got to the hotel that night, we noticed that our bikes were caked in sheep crap. It had baked onto the mufflers and was packed everywhere: belly pan of the K75s, nooks and crannies of the R11. And you really noticed it when you came to a stop.

The mandatory Irish sheep picture. I love it over there.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    The mandatory Irish sheep picture. I love it over there.
    Ditto the New Zealand South Island.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It was over 60 by 7:00 this morning up in Michigan. Time to get on my gear and head out. I love riding in the morning. It's really great to get out of the basement and off the trainer. Soon it will be too hot to ride in the afternoon here. We just never seem to get a decent Spring up here on the shores of Lake Huron. We go from 40's to 80's too quickly.
    Steve
    MOA #208308
    2016 R1200RT San Marino Blue Metalic,
    2017 Yamaha FZ-07

Some talk about old mountain bikes but no pictures!

Yesterday I cleaned up my fat bike and figured I would get the MTB out of the shed. Pumped up the tires and took it for a spin around the neighborhood. Lots of good memories on this bike. It has done races, single track, fire roads, beaches, lots of trips to breweries, fourth of July fireworks ... it is my old buddy. Two winters ago I took everything off of it and cleaned and lubed everything from headset to a new bottom bracket. Most components are original on this bike - even the pedals and seat! I put new chains and cassettes on but that is about it.

1997 or 98 Gary Fisher Big Sur.

BigSur.jpg

I love that color. When I had the parts off, I used rubbing compound, swirl remover and wax to get it as nice as I could - but this bike has seen a lot of incidents.

That bike brought back a memory of the first event that we did that prompted me to become interested in training - and eventually into many years of triathlon competition.

In early 1998, Michelle and I had new mountain bikes and we would ride really long distance on dirt roads: like 3 or 4 miles! We had no idea what was possible. A few of my fraternity buddies who were into mountain biking talked us into doing a triathlon at Killington Mountain in Vermont. The three legs were: Mogul skiing, mountain biking and trail running. The only thing I had any business doing was the skiing part. But this took place on Memorial Day - there was only snow at Killington Peak and it was spotty. In sections you had to take off your skis and run downhill in ski boots to the next snow patch. I am not very good at that. When I got onto the mountain bike leg, It went straight uphill almost immediately. I couldn't believe people could ride up that. I walked. Then the run started out very easy: because I was running downhill for the first half (1.5 miles) and then had to run back up for the finish. I jogged down. Walked up. I finished exhausted. I was too young to be that out of shape! I finished in the bottom 25% of participants. I enjoyed my post race beer but a seed had been planted: I will not perform that poorly again! How do you get good at this stuff? My buddies kicked my ass - that wasn't going to happen again.