• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

Thanks for posting that article link wildbears. One important piece which has to be set in place is bike lane infrastructure in big cities. Some places are far ahead on this piece, but it's a hard thing to cut down the space allocated to 4-wheelers. A simple painted bike lane has proven to be not particularly safe for bicyclists. Some stout physical barrier (with substantial added expense) is going to be needed to make e-biking practical.

As a long time cyclist and motorcyclist having done my best to share the road with all, the US in general just isn't of a mindset to ever be serious about options to non two wheelers as transportation...more so with bicycles.
It works in other countries for more reasons than I feel like typing. Definitely do not want to insert politics into the conversation...
Have commuted on both two wheeled options and there are restrictions on either. I kept a second set of clothes at work, however the distance and routing had me riding at dawn or dusk too often at peak traffic hours...nothing like huffing exhaust along the way or dodging the donut eating, make up or shaving crowd and less than friendly road designs and badly located gratings, manhole covers and such. It was a lot of work.

Just saw my former employer is painting the bus lanes with a red paint in the downtown area as it appears folks cannot read lane markings or signs...just guessing it may not be good for bikes of any kind when wet.
We have been in a few cities where the bike lane is between the curb lane and the second travel lane...folks really need to pay attention and you get brushed easily...not ideal! H was not comfortable...I wasn't either but didn't want to let her know so we could finish ride.
The bike lanes along the curb lane also allow parking, which has you dodging cars or opening doors...BTDT:banghead

On the e-bike,scooters and such...especially rentals in urban jungles...my observation is operators grip and rip without comprehension that they are subject to the same traffic laws...I heard the argument for years as to why I should "get my a$$ on the sidewalk", even when I obeyed and played by the rules.

I recently rode an e-bike fatty tire and though it made me smile on a hill...it isn't why I ride. Yes, a place for everything and everybody so try not to be negative. There was a tour group based out of CO here this winter riding our tiny hills by CO standards. We were behind them on a regular backroad when we hit some climbs...we were left in the dust and I was scratching my head until we met them up the road...all had e-assist...cheaters!:laugh

Wish it was a viable option...maybe our kids kids will figure it out...maybe because of necessity, maybe because they are smarter than us.

I got out for a short bicycle ride yesterday and today.
60s with 40 mph winds. Going with the wind I felt like a strong 20 year old, against the wind I felt like a old geezer :)
Thursday the wind was blowing around 50 mph. I didn't ride :)

What do crosswinds make a bicycle rider feel like?

You have to be careful because a crosswind can turn your front wheel.
Our newer road bikes are not bad but my older 2000 road bike with aero wheels was scary in crosswinds because the wind would catch the rim.
I'm told the new aero wheels do not catch side winds like the old ones did.
Here's a picture of my old road bike I keep for a spare.

2000 Trek 2300 (5).JPG

You have to be careful because a crosswind can turn your front wheel.
Our newer road bikes are not bad but my older 2000 road bike with aero wheels was scary in crosswinds because the wind would catch the rim.
I'm told the new aero wheels do not catch side winds like the old ones did.
Here's a picture of my old road bike I keep for a spare.

View attachment 77413

Is that a “training seat” pre-BMW ownership? :eek
om

What do crosswinds make a bicycle rider feel like?

A tumbleweed. Sidewinds aren't as bad as on a bicycle, but headwinds are soul crushing.

Current bicycle inventory for me:

• 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara
  • 2001 Trek USPS 5200 - Dura Ace triple, 9 speed, Rolf Vector Comps
  • 2010 Colnago Ace - Campy driveline, Campy wheel set
  • 2015 Specialized Roubaix Comp Disc Sl

I rode my first century on the Trek in 2010 after Tina was sick and I started riding with Team In Training for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. A couple years later, I bought the Colnago and rode Death Ride in 2013 on it. 129 miles, 15K of elevation gain.

After that, I upgraded to the Roubaix because 60 miles of descending taught me that disc brakes are a Good Thing. I've ridden a few dozen centuries and really enjoy the training and the ride. Few things will make you feel more alive than a 50mph descent on a bicycle.

Let's just say that strong quads make motorcycling better, too and having decent cardiopulmonary health and an appropriate weight is good for anyone.

11377208_10207493274596649_484719123529577386_n.jpg
In the event anyone was wondering what I've been doing for the last few years.

That's a good one to never sell.

I keep looking at it to sell it, but can't get there. It needs a right hand shifter, but otherwise, it's terrific. The 9 speed cluster is a little limiting vs. current 11sp, but it's still fun to ride.

But that Roubaix is really something else. Stable, fast, great driveline for starters, but the ride is amazing. Zertz in the seat stays and fork damp out vibration and the rubber insert in the seat post makes it feel plusher than it deserves. It's a sort of "adventure" bicycle, so it has stuff like bag frame mounts and will take gravel appropriate tires. It's like a GS.

It's my favorite for big fast descents by a big margin. The Colnago was fun, but it was kinda twitchy. This thing is more like my 916 or any of the BMWs - just stable and predictable.

Tina's got a Ruby Comp she's looking to sell, if anyone is interested. It's a 2010 with a Shimano 105 Triple driveline.

The seat on my 2016 is even thinner. Seems strange but it's fairly comfortable.
View attachment 77431

View attachment 77432

I"m a big fan of the really ugly seats that look like a salmon steak. You have to get the right width by measuring your butt bones, but you sit on top of them and they don't, ahem, "intrude" or make you feel like you're sitting astride a fence.

ISM Century X, which I believe is no longer made, but it's like one of these: https://ismseat.com/performance-recreation/

pr-1-0-2.jpg

. It needs a right hand shifter, but otherwise, it's terrific. The 9 speed cluster is a little limiting vs. current 11sp, but it's still fun to ride.

I looked a couple years for a right side 9 speed Ultegra hand shifter for my Trek 2300 without any luck.
I settled for a new old stock 105 I found on ebay. At least it was the same vintage and style as the left side.

A tumbleweed. Sidewinds aren't as bad as on a bicycle, but headwinds are soul crushing.

Current bicycle inventory for me:

• 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara
  • 2001 Trek USPS 5200 - Dura Ace triple, 9 speed, Rolf Vector Comps
  • 2010 Colnago Ace - Campy driveline, Campy wheel set
  • 2015 Specialized Roubaix Comp Disc Sl

I rode my first century on the Trek in 2010 after Tina was sick and I started riding with Team In Training for the Leukemia Lymphoma Society. A couple years later, I bought the Colnago and rode Death Ride in 2013 on it. 129 miles, 15K of elevation gain.

After that, I upgraded to the Roubaix because 60 miles of descending taught me that disc brakes are a Good Thing. I've ridden a few dozen centuries and really enjoy the training and the ride. Few things will make you feel more alive than a 50mph descent on a bicycle.

Let's just say that strong quads make motorcycling better, too and having decent cardiopulmonary health and an appropriate weight is good for anyone.

View attachment 77458
In the event anyone was wondering what I've been doing for the last few years.
Thank you so very much for how you've been riding for too many with Team In Training, LLS, from those of us who have sadly lost too many. Thank you!!! Eugene and Family

Thank you so very much for how you've been riding for too many with Team In Training, LLS, from those of us who have sadly lost too many. Thank you!!! Eugene and Family

It's personal for me, Eugene. I'm glad to have had the opportunity to help in some small way for so many.

My wife's life was saved by a drug that was underwritten by funds from Team in Training (Rituxaban), so I felt an obligation to pass that good deed forward to help others.

I'm sorry for your loss. Blood cancers can die in a dumpster fire, IMHO.

Screw Cancer. Ride Bikes.

Been riding regularly following social guidelines and rarely crossing paths with anyone.

DA45473F-AF6F-48DE-989C-73F9EA703CC6.jpeg

I broke a rear spoke on my newest Cannondale so had to suffer and pull the 2002 Campy Record 9 aluminum CAAD4 back into service. Spent the next ride huffing a bit more with less gearing choices and a few extra bike pounds. I laughed and fussed equally as the Campy shifting mechanism I rode for years is different and strange to me now. Thought I had a flat twice on a familiar set of hills.

02D533EE-D039-4864-960A-14837DC5FD95.jpeg

Pics oriented right on Apple products

Back