• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bicycling thread

I do a lot of bike riding, year round pretty much regardless of weather.

Rode over 10,000 miles in 2019, back down to just over 6,000 in 2020.

Here's some pics...

March 25,2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

February 21, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

February 21, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

August 16, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

Festive 500 December 24-28 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 29, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 16, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 16, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

December 2, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

October 31, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

October 4, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

SlowPokePete,

Thanks for the photos! I remember seeing your 'introduction' post about your ST/GS where you mentioned riding bicycles a lot.

Michelle and I have participated in the Farmer's Daughter gravel grinder which is in Chatham, just north of you. Terrific event. We were registered to do it last year but, you know. We erroneously thought that the entry was deferred to this year and ended up missing out. I sure hope it can happen.

My other favorite event/race, the Black Fly Challenge, in the Adirondacks just announced that it is cancelled for 2021. The announcement hit me like a punch in the gut. I was all for 'flattening the curve' last year. I'm not exactly sure what we are doing now, however. I'm not getting any younger.

I'm glad to see another Lynskey owner. We own 4 (and I have an old Litespeed that was designed under the Lynskey influence). I really like Ti and steel for durability and the ability to make custom frame sizes fairly easily. I understand racing on carbon (lightweight and aero), but I don't race.

Below is a picture from last weekend. This is a ride around Oneida Lake. It is a fairly flat route that turned out to be about 90 miles. At the end of the ride is was over 80 degrees! In April. Wow.

Kurt

OneidaLake.jpg

I want to do the Empire trail from Albany to NYC. We’ve ridden around Lake Champlain, from Albany to Glens Falls and Albany to Buffalo. Maybe this is the year we explore the Hudson Valley.

There was a MOA national in Rhinebeck in ‘99. I thought that was one of the best I’ve been to. Great area. We also used to go to the Gummikuh Fahr rally which was in the eastern Catskills. There was a time when BMW riders weren’t all that tame.

Last edited:
I want to do the Empire trail from Albany to NYC. We’ve ridden around Lake Champlain, from Albany to Glens Falls and Albany to Buffalo. Maybe this is the year we explore the Hudson Valley.

There was a MOA national in Rhinebeck in ‘98. I thought that was one of the best I’ve been to. Great area. We also used to go to the Gummikuh Fahr rally which was in the eastern Catskills. There was a time when BMW riders weren’t all that tame.

Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck........ very accommodating. :thumb
OM

I had not seen this thread previously. What better place than to post a photo from last summer riding Tail of the Dragon. Day before was Mt Mitchell from Marion.

Attachments

• 3000564.jpg
    3000564.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 205
I haven't ridden a bicycle more than a block or two in the past 50 years, so take this with a grain of salt. But I would think that riding the Tail of the Dragon on a bicycle would scare me nearly to death. No shoulders to speak of; narrow driving lanes; limited sight distance for drivers; too many Ricky Racers; etc.

I haven't ridden a bicycle more than a block or two in the past 50 years, so take this with a grain of salt. But I would think that riding the Tail of the Dragon on a bicycle would scare me nearly to death. No shoulders to speak of; narrow driving lanes; limited sight distance for drivers; too many Ricky Racers; etc.

Yep, cycling the TTD on a weekend would not be advisable. Frankly, I wouldn't even take the car or motorbike there on a weekend. When I'm cycling tough mountain passes or know there are going to be really technical descents, I go to great lengths to plan such rides for when there will be the least amount of traffic possible.

Got out for a short ride today. 65 and sunny.
Tomorrow we head for Virginia on the motorcycles.

5-29-21.jpg

I’ll keep up with Lee with today’s cow stop :laugh

Humidity up there from all the last few days rain

1C321176-245E-4652-8B68-CA254CD418C0.jpg

A lot of Crop Dusters over our house this time of year. Rode out to the airport to ask what they're spraying.
A couple weeks ago was dry fertilizer and now they are spraying corn for fungus.
This is a Thrush. I have not seen one of these before. Normally in this area you see Air Tractors, Radial engine and Turbo Props.
The Thrush just showed up yesterday.

Crop Dusters Thrush (1).jpg

The guy working on his Air Tractor is from New Jersey.

Crop Dusters.jpg

There's 2 or 3 local guys who live here in Creston who own Air Tractors and they only work locally.

We haven't been on bicycles for the last month - because we've been on motorcycles. Just(ish) got back from a 6500 mile walkabout including the national rally in Montana. Now we are outfitting our 'gravel' bikes for touring. Attached is my setup: Altura handlebar bag w/ Klikit release, Ortlieb panniers, titanium rack w/ built in bottle opener. Normally we use a large saddlebag along with a handlebar bag but we now require more comfort while camping. Tent. Sheesh.

Attachments

• bike_luggage.jpg
    bike_luggage.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 97
While I'm here...

We adapted one of our VW Sportwagens to be a micro RV. I know this is getting pretty far away from motorcycle talk, but we want to travel AND ride bicycles. So we're going to mix up motorcycle travel with 'RV' travel.

MicroRV.jpeg

The rooftop tent is from RoofNest (the Sparrow model). Car gets about 30mpg with it on top. Just a little bit more wind noise (but less than bikes on a roof rack).

I made up a couple of racks to put our folding bicycles securely on the rear seat. The idea stemmed from my attempt at making a bike rack for my motorcycle (documented here last spring).

FoldingBikeRack.jpeg

Finally, here is the bike in action at Hector Falls - near Watkins Glen, the site of the Finger Lakes Rally. This was in June before we headed out to Montana on the scooters.

HectorFalls.jpeg

Back