Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Yesterday was my first 'real' ride of the year. It got up to about 60 degrees. I didn't take any photos because I'm out of practice.

Today was even warmer - I think it hit 70 - and I was riding in summer kit! That made me forget that it is still winter and a lot of the roads that I ride are still under snow.

This is a shortcut through a park that takes me to the village. I was able to ride through this:

SnowInPark.jpg

But then I came on this section of road where I ended up walking the bike through the snow for half a mile. That really knocks your average speed down!

SnowKellogg.jpg

Under that snow is a beautiful ribbon of asphalt. Even walking was a little bit slick and I received the occasional 'refreshing' shoe full of ice water.

Last year on a organized winter ride one couple had fat tire bikes with studs because they expected snow but the roads were fairly clear. They had theirs screwed in from the outside.
    You could really hear them coming up behind you
    Copied from Des Moines Register (2).JPG

Good to see you posting again Kurt.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thanks Lee!

Fat tire bikes are really an impractical contraption. But they sure are fun. Really only an advantage in soft stuff like snow and sand - but they just make it go from 'impossible' to 'really hard'. I like riding them off road if everyone else I'm riding with also has a fat bike. As soon as someone shows up with skinny tires and suspension, the dynamic changes a lot.

I demand pictures!

(please?)

We've just started getting OK weather here in the northeast. Got 100 bicycle miles in between Sunday and Monday and took a few motorcycles out for a spin today. It just doesn't look great in photos: everything is brown and muddy. Even bright sunshine can't redeem my pictures.

My fingers are crossed that the national rally will happen this year. I really want to get out of NY. I haven't left the state since a year ago January. Now my dilemma is that I've developed some pretty good bike fitness over the last year and I'm going to lose it if I take a long motorcycle tour. Then I'll be starting from scratch. I really don't want to have to build up again.

Reminds me of a story: In 2003 Michelle and I took 2 weeks off from some serious training to go to the MOA national rally in WV. That rally site turned out to be the best motorcycle rally for triathletes - there was a pool located at the college! There was also some great running along the river. July is TdF time and I was really into watching it (before all of the Lance=doping stuff). In one of the common areas of the college somebody had set up a large screen TV and it was tuned on to the tour! So awesome. It was right next to the beer garden, too. I plopped down on a couch next to a couple of other guys who were equally enthralled with bike racing. We were the few fellas at a motorcycle rally with shaved legs. Sometimes I feel like PeeWee Herman in a biker bar but, hey, I gots to be me. Were any of you setting on a couch next to me in 2003?

I do a lot of bike riding, year round pretty much regardless of weather.

Rode over 10,000 miles in 2019, back down to just over 6,000 in 2020.

Here's some pics...

March 25,2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

February 21, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

February 21, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

August 16, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

Festive 500 December 24-28 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 29, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 16, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

November 16, 2019 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

December 2, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

October 31, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

October 4, 2020 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP

I rode maybe a couple of hundred in 2020, doesn't look like I'll even see a bicycle before August!
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

SlowPokePete,

Thanks for the photos! I remember seeing your 'introduction' post about your ST/GS where you mentioned riding bicycles a lot.

Michelle and I have participated in the Farmer's Daughter gravel grinder which is in Chatham, just north of you. Terrific event. We were registered to do it last year but, you know. We erroneously thought that the entry was deferred to this year and ended up missing out. I sure hope it can happen.

My other favorite event/race, the Black Fly Challenge, in the Adirondacks just announced that it is cancelled for 2021. The announcement hit me like a punch in the gut. I was all for 'flattening the curve' last year. I'm not exactly sure what we are doing now, however. I'm not getting any younger.

I'm glad to see another Lynskey owner. We own 4 (and I have an old Litespeed that was designed under the Lynskey influence). I really like Ti and steel for durability and the ability to make custom frame sizes fairly easily. I understand racing on carbon (lightweight and aero), but I don't race.

Below is a picture from last weekend. This is a ride around Oneida Lake. It is a fairly flat route that turned out to be about 90 miles. At the end of the ride is was over 80 degrees! In April. Wow.

Kurt

OneidaLake.jpg

Oh, I meant to ask: where is that waterfall? I need to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by kurtr11s View Post
    Oh, I meant to ask: where is that waterfall? I need to go there.
    That's the Croton Dam, in Croton, NY...Westchester County.

https://parks.westchestergov.com/croton-gorge-park

There's picnic tables at the bottom, and you can walk (or ride a bicycle) across the now closed road over the top of the dam.

Before I moved to Hillsdale it was part of my regular cycling route.

Is B'ville = Bronxville?

SPP

Thanks.

B’ville is Baldwinsville, near Syracuse.

Bit of a trip, then...

SPP

I want to do the Empire trail from Albany to NYC. We’ve ridden around Lake Champlain, from Albany to Glens Falls and Albany to Buffalo. Maybe this is the year we explore the Hudson Valley.

There was a MOA national in Rhinebeck in ‘99. I thought that was one of the best I’ve been to. Great area. We also used to go to the Gummikuh Fahr rally which was in the eastern Catskills. There was a time when BMW riders weren’t all that tame.
    Last edited by kurtr11s; 04-16-2021 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Rhinebeck was in '99, Montana in '98!

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtr11s View Post
    I want to do the Empire trail from Albany to NYC. We’ve ridden around Lake Champlain, from Albany to Glens Falls and Albany to Buffalo. Maybe this is the year we explore the Hudson Valley.

There was a MOA national in Rhinebeck in ‘98. I thought that was one of the best I’ve been to. Great area. We also used to go to the Gummikuh Fahr rally which was in the eastern Catskills. There was a time when BMW riders weren’t all that tame.
    Beekman Arms in Rhinebeck........ very accommodating.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Funny you would bring up Rhinebeck, OM, just did a bike ride out of there two weeks ago with some friends.

On a motorcycle related note, Max BMW should have my R80ST done early next week and I can't wait to get it back.

Now, If it would just stop snowing (Yes, it's the middle of April!)...

April 4, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

April 4, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

April 16, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

April 16, 2021 by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP