Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: The Bicycling thread

F1A9E9B3-8805-4EEC-807E-0E711D734BA0.jpeg
    Old bar next to LBJís long ago law office

787C381E-5F7A-4E43-AC6D-3A30578E70FF.jpeg
    H and free ranging bovines

950CE610-3F27-4A14-915A-A1A9ED08B8C8.jpeg
    Which way to go? A stop on our 40 mile minimal traffic loop that is now in a pipeline construction zone that started Sunday
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    950CE610-3F27-4A14-915A-A1A9ED08B8C8.jpeg
    Which way to go? A stop on our 40 mile minimal traffic loop that is now in a pipeline construction zone that started Sunday
    Can you get Rocky Road ice-cream on that road
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    Which way to go?
    When does your riding season usually start, Steve.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    When does your riding season usually start, Steve.
    Jan-Dec

Only a few days in Winter are too cold and/or wet to get out here unless one is hardcore. The wind this time of year is the biggest challenge more than temps.You think you are having a great day and flying along...then you turn into the wind and reality hits! I had a cold front arrive a few hours early last week and reminded me it was still Winter as the temp dropped 30 degrees before I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Can you get Rocky Road ice-cream on that road
    No, but you can justify having a scoop!

Question Are electric bikes the real electric vehicle revolution?

The real potential of the electric vehicle revolution???

https://theweek.com/articles/895479/...cle-revolution

Thanks for posting that article link wildbears. One important piece which has to be set in place is bike lane infrastructure in big cities. Some places are far ahead on this piece, but it's a hard thing to cut down the space allocated to 4-wheelers. A simple painted bike lane has proven to be not particularly safe for bicyclists. Some stout physical barrier (with substantial added expense) is going to be needed to make e-biking practical.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

As a long time cyclist and motorcyclist having done my best to share the road with all, the US in general just isn't of a mindset to ever be serious about options to non two wheelers as transportation...more so with bicycles.
    It works in other countries for more reasons than I feel like typing. Definitely do not want to insert politics into the conversation...
    Have commuted on both two wheeled options and there are restrictions on either. I kept a second set of clothes at work, however the distance and routing had me riding at dawn or dusk too often at peak traffic hours...nothing like huffing exhaust along the way or dodging the donut eating, make up or shaving crowd and less than friendly road designs and badly located gratings, manhole covers and such. It was a lot of work.

Just saw my former employer is painting the bus lanes with a red paint in the downtown area as it appears folks cannot read lane markings or signs...just guessing it may not be good for bikes of any kind when wet.
    We have been in a few cities where the bike lane is between the curb lane and the second travel lane...folks really need to pay attention and you get brushed easily...not ideal! H was not comfortable...I wasn't either but didn't want to let her know so we could finish ride.
    The bike lanes along the curb lane also allow parking, which has you dodging cars or opening doors...BTDT

On the e-bike,scooters and such...especially rentals in urban jungles...my observation is operators grip and rip without comprehension that they are subject to the same traffic laws...I heard the argument for years as to why I should "get my a$$ on the sidewalk", even when I obeyed and played by the rules.

I recently rode an e-bike fatty tire and though it made me smile on a hill...it isn't why I ride. Yes, a place for everything and everybody so try not to be negative. There was a tour group based out of CO here this winter riding our tiny hills by CO standards. We were behind them on a regular backroad when we hit some climbs...we were left in the dust and I was scratching my head until we met them up the road...all had e-assist...cheaters!

Wish it was a viable option...maybe our kids kids will figure it out...maybe because of necessity, maybe because they are smarter than us.