• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Bicycling thread

I remember that, the weight/HP ratio difference against the Ferrari makes me smile... but not enough to give that a try these days!

Good day,

Great stories. I too ride both bikes and motorcycles. My Univega touring cycle, procured during my first year of college in 1983, is still my current ride! Of course, I also have "old" cycles, a 1996 R850R and 2006 F650 GS dakar - the "youngest" and an 84 Mercedes 300D diesel. I guess I just like old machines.

Be well, ride safely.

RK

That Cannondale Synapse is a LOT of bike for the $$$.

Ohio To Erie

My fully loaded Trek 520 Touring Bike on the way to Cleveland from Cincinnati

IMG_2326.jpg

Taken near the 1/2 way point in Columbus

My Cycling these days

I thought I would post my experiences with my "old geezer cycling".
I'm 73 years old and years of use and abuse have resulted in both Achilles tendon ruptures, knee and hip replacement, chronic neck and shoulder arthritis. Two wheeled riding position had become an uncomfortable experience. The Achilles issues wouldn't allow me to get out of the saddle and stand on the peddles, leading to aching butt and shoulders/neck. A life long passion was no longer any fun.
I had always been curious about recumbent trikes and decided it was time to give it a try. Long story made short... it was the answer to ALL my problems. No more of all the above aches and pains. No longer spending me rides looking down at the pavement. Neck and shoulders are relaxed and I spend my time admiring the scenery. It was fun again.
This is my Catrike Villiager on the hill to NCAR facility in Boulder.
trike.jpg

Thanks, although it's not a Brooks, it's a Rivet.

There's a black one on the Ahearne as well.

Looking back at the pics sure is making me miss summer!

Today, the last day of Fall, I rode 37 miles (about 3 hours), 3,300' of climbing, and temps in the 20's.

SPP

Thanks, although it's not a Brooks, it's a Rivet.

There's a black one on the Ahearne as well.

Looking back at the pics sure is making me miss summer!

Today, the last day of Fall, I rode 37 miles (about 3 hours), 3,300' of climbing, and temps in the 20's.

SPP

Ooops. My eyes went a little too quick on the saddle.
Good job getting out there. I used to live in Boston and would bike commute through the winters. Great fun! Then I moved to CA for 10 years, and now that I find myself in Vegas I'm finding the Vegas winter too cold in my first winter here after being spoiled in CA. I'll get tougher eventually.

When I lived in Ohio one of the popular bicycle rides was TOSRV (Tour of the Scioto River Valley). This ride is held on Mother's Day weekend and roughly follows the Scioto River from Columbus to the Ohio River in Portsmouth Ohio. The southward leg is on Saturday with an overnight in Portsmouth. Sunday's ride is back to Columbus. This is not a race and there are numerous food and rest stops along the way. The overnight stay is "camping" indoors in local gyms and churches or outdoors. A few times I camped on the local high school's football field (a great camping spot - level, great grass, no rocks; but cold showers!!)

https://tosrv.org/
http://www.touringohio.com/day-trips/tosrv.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TOSRV

The first photo below was taken at about the half-way point from Columbus to Portsmouth (about 50 miles). The second photo is taken at the end in Portsmouth near the confluence of the Scioto and Ohio rivers. These photos were taken in the early 1980s.

TOSRV04.JPGTOSRV01.JPG

Yep, TOSRV is a great ride. I rode it 10 times, with my last time in the mid-80's. The last 15 miles back to the Statehouse seemed more like 50 miles, as you could see the Columbus skyline for miles before you actually arrived in town. On my last 3 times, I snagged space in one of the few hotel rooms in Portsmouth. Hot showers, with no lines. All though I still pedal about 3000 miles/year, I'll probably never have the opportunity (or desire) to do TOSRV again. No bad experiences, I just enjoy shorter rides these days (at age 71). For some reason, 40-50 miles just seem more enjoyable to me these days.

It's been a while

I'm not sure I can even remember how to post pictures.

In 2021, during the 'lull', we were able to get back out on the road - so I got out of the habit of posting in this thread. We didn't stop riding but we did scale back a bit: only about 5000 miles in 2021. But that was offset by a huge increase in motorcycle miles. A highlight of our year was a month on the road to get to the Montana MOA Rally and back. It was so great to see old friends at the rally. 2020 made me realize how much I take rally socialization for granted - you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone. I won't say anymore about that here except: OMG, the heat. Stayed with friends in Boise after the rally and the heatwave was crazy.

When we got back, we missed the travel so we devised another cross country trip - a car trip where we would take our bicycles to places that we have always wanted to ride. We realized that we wouldn't be able to spend as much time as we wanted at each place, so this was going to be more of a 'sampler platter' with the intention of going back to some of locations for a real tour.

We started the tour in Central New York and headed toward the GAP (greater allegheny passage) trail in Ohio Pyle. Our first night was spent at the park where the 4 Winds Rally is held! Here is a picture of our rig at the rally site:

4winds.jpeg

The next day we rode on the GAP around the Ohio Pyle area:

GAP.jpeg

Ran into a festival/car show in Confluence. Enjoyed their bike shop:

Confluence.jpeg

Here is a photo of my Bike Friday travel bike on the High Bridge. Spectacular:

BF_GAP.jpeg

The Bike Fridays were great travel companions. I made up wood contraptions that allowed the bikes to be easily stowed on the rear seat. It takes us about 10 minutes to get the bikes ready to ride. We also use a WolfWise pop up shelter to change into our bike kit. In Ohio Pyle, we changed right in the middle of a busy parking lot :).

I'm going to post this to see if the photos work and the format is OK...

Back