Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Just returning from the 2019 Eastern Tandem Rally, Lynnfield, MA. My wife and I used the trip up to MA to nail the last 2 states east of the MS River on our quest to cycle in every state in the continental 48. On the way up to the Boston area, we stopped and rode our Santana Ti-700 in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and yes, a bit of MA (before driving on to the Rally). 125 tandem teams converged on the 4 Points - Sheraton for 4 glorious days of riding on roads rural enough to please this transplanted OK country boy. I honestly did not expect to find roads that quiet so near Boston. No, they weren't "Alabama Backroads quiet" or "Oklahoma Where are the cars? quiet", but the roads had low-enough traffic or wide enough shoulders to not delay the auto traffic for more than a few seconds. Most gave us plenty of clearance and a friendly wave as they passed (and they used their whole hand, not just 1 finger!)

Next trip on the schedule -- fly into Paris, then join w/Santana for a cycling cruise up the Rhein and Moiselle (sp)? from Paris to Amsterdam! Whooee!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

I rode the first three days of RAGBRAI. Register Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. Register is the Des Moines Register news paper.
    This is the 47th year for the ride and most years there's 10,000 to 20,000 riders.
    Sunday was 68 to 70 deg F with rain.
    Sunday morning in Marne
    Sunday (1).jpg

Monday and Tuesday were sunny with highs 70 to 80.

Tuesday morning northeast of Winterset.
    Tuesday (10).jpg

The next two pictures are from the Des Moines Register.
    Monday morning leaving Atlantic.
    Atlantic.jpg

Tuesday morning northeast of Winterset.
    Howell's.jpg

I stopped to get a picture of the EMT's R1200RT and he told me to hop on because he wanted a picture of himself on my bicycle.
    Monday (4).jpg

They used to run a 650 single and RT, now they use two RTs.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

That looks like fun. I'll have to have a look at the pictures on the website.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    That looks like fun. I'll have to have a look at the pictures on the website.
    Place the cursor over the thumbnail to view pictures from each day.
    https://ragbrai.com/category/photo-galleries/#2019

Pictures are up for the first 5 days.
    If you see "Pre Ride" that's pictures from earlier in the year checking the route.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Hey thanks! Hope you didn't get too wet.
    Last edited by Rinty; 09-25-2019 at 12:03 AM.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Hey thaniks! Hope you didn't get too wet.
    I stayed comfortable while riding in the Sunday rain.
    I had a vest on to keep the back of my mostly white jealousy clean and I avoided getting directly behind other riders so my glasses would stay cleaner.
    The food vendors at the pass-through towns did little business because it was a little cool to stand around when wet.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Santana Tour of the Rhine/Moselle River Region

Bike touring with Santana is an experience! Expensive, sure, but most agree you get your money's worth of enjoyment. Susan and I were billed as Co-Hosts for this trip. This means we work our b--ts off helping out. Our trip started with our arrival @ CDG on Friday morning, July 19. Our first duty was to check into the airport hotel, then hop a bus downtown to the main hotel and check things out. Busses in Paris from CDG are great! After checking things out @ the main hotel (Le Meridien, a Marriott property a few blocks from the Arc d'Triomphe and not too far from the Eiffel Tower), we headed back to the airport to meet others who would be arriving over the next few days. Remember the Tom Hanks movie where he was trapped in the airport w/no way to go for months? That's how we felt as we were in the airport for 2 days, meeting/greeting folks as they arrived in Paris for the pre-tour of the Champs Elysee, the Arc, and Versailles. Riding in Paris traffic on a Monday work day was exhilarating, to say the least, but everyone survived, and we have memories we'll most likely never forget!

After a night in Paris, the group took the TGV from Paris to Strasbourg, where the real tour would be begin. While our group was enjoying themselves in Paris, we (the Santana Co-Hosts and the support crew) were in the vans, heading to Strasbourg so we could unload the bikes and be ready to ride the when the TGV arrived. With all the group assembled, bikes adjusted, the trip officially started with a short ride from the TGV station to the Cathedral of Strasbourg. This great old cathedral was at one time the tallest building in Europe. Yes, it is impressive! When everyone had enjoyed a quick lunch in the town square or wherever, it was a trick to find the route out of town to the river port where we would board the Silver Amadeus II, a riverboat that would serve as our moving base for the next 8 days. If you've ever experienced a cycling cruise (as Santana calls them), you will appreciate the benefit of having the same hotel room every night, but the location constantly changes. It's a great way to travel. You bike along the river (the Rhine river valley is incredibly flat near the river, but the valley has some very steep hills, covered with vineyards. How they farm those steep hillsides is amazing!

We biked along the Rhine, then Moselle, then back to the Rhine on our way to Amsterdam, visiting small villages and touring castles as we cycled along bike paths and small, very low-trafficked roads of the region. We cycled in the France, Germany, Luxembourg, and finally the Netherlands. This last country was a real eye-opener. Bicycles and bike paths almost everywhere. People biking to work in their business clothes, bike parking lots with hundreds of bikes locked to the racks. You truly must see this phenom to appreciate how bicycles can be a major part of the transportation mix of a country, with the proper planning. No, the Netherlands infrastructure isn't perfect, not by a long shot, as the bike paths are also used by small motorscooters and even small cars, as well as pedestrians, skateboards, inline skaters, and others. This mix of disparate path users can be more dangerous than riding on the motorways, which often was our preferred place. It just felt safer (to us) than the paths were.

For us, travelling with our bike to/from Europe was pretty uneventful, much less stressful than travelling domestically. We cleared TSA easily (we're both TSA-Precheck), and our luggage wasn't opened/inspected (other than by x-ray) either going or coming. It's always an adventure coming into a new airport, a new country, and it's a pleasure to clear customs with all our suitcases, bicycle, and other items we needed to take.

Try a foreign bike tour sometime. They're a great way to see the country up close and personal!
    J Goertz
    BMW MOAL
    2015 BMW R1200RT
    2012 Triumph Bonneville SE

Quote Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
    , a riverboat that would serve as our moving base for the next 8 days. If you've ever experienced a cycling cruise (as Santana calls them), you will appreciate the benefit of having the same hotel room every night, but the location constantly changes.
    That sounds like fun.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Place the cursor over the thumbnail to view pictures from each day.
    https://ragbrai.com/category/photo-galleries/#2019
    Great shots.

You had some gnarly conditions!
    Rinty

I am a bad person, today was the first time in 3 years I took this beautiful machine out for a spin.
    IMG_1832-L.jpg
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Nice Litespeed! Campagnolo Record 9?

And yes, you should be flogged for ignoring it!

We are in our two hottest months, ride early and retreat to shade in afternoon. Local bike shop owner calls it our Winter as a lot of folks stay on the couch until September, looking at their Litespeeds
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Yes Record 10 if I remember correctly. That frame was only made for a few years as it's 6/4 Ti and it cost too much to make as all the tubes were hand made as you can't draw that grade if Ti. This was a custom build all fit for my body even down to seat tube angle. Yes it rides beautifully.

Now if I can just get my sorry ass on it a little more often.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum69 View Post
    I am a bad person, today was the first time in 3 years I took this beautiful machine out for a spin.
    Well it rains a bit on The Rock, doesn't it.

Nice bike.
    Rinty

it has been known to rain around here

For our anniversary we like to haul our bikes to Mackinac Island Michigan.
    We went for our 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th and this year was our 42nd.

On the way up we stayed in Manistique for 2 night.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (6).jpg

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (22).JPG

You need to take a ferry to the island and sometimes it makes a pass under the bridge.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (29).JPG

Outer lanes are paved and center 2 lanes are metal grate. You can see a vehicle in this picture.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (30).JPG

We spent 5 nights on the island. September is a good month to go because the crowds are down and rates are lower.

Some paved trails and some gravel.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (59).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (60).JPG

One night I took the flat trail around the island to see what it was like to ride it at night.
    Only things I had to worry about hitting was frogs and horsesh_t.

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (54).JPG

Debbie likes to see the large draft horses.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (34).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (42).JPG

On the way home we checked out the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum at Whitefish Point,
    Tahquamenon Falls, Pictured Rock National Lakeshore, and Marquette.

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (61).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (62).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (65).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (67).JPG

Upper Falls
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (71).JPG

Pictured Rock National Lakeshore
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (79).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (81).JPG

Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (82).JPG

Our motel at Marquette was 3 miles out of town and next to a bicycle trail.
    This made it easy to ride in and check out the harbor area.
    Marquette Harbor Lighthouse.
    Mackinac Island Trip 2019 (89).jpg
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878