• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Bicycling thread

Now I know how you seasonal riders feel with a new BMW in Winter:banghead

H rewarded me for knocking out the shop RV port addition at minimal labor and equipment costs with a huge surprise Friday.I thought she had purchased a new wheelset for herself as she has been looking, though the box was large...certainly did not feel heavy enough for a complete bike.:dance

s-l1600.jpg

Stock photo, prob a 52cm frame, mine is a 58. Another demo find!
Full CF frame/fork,Shimano Dura Ace mechanical 11 drivetrain and disc brakes...the rims are CF as well

IMG_3439.JPG
Apologies for dang Iphone orientation
The difference on brakes is like going from a /5 to current BMW models...noticeable to say the least.

Supposedly 17 lbs. It is lighter than H's two year old model...she's worried:ha Hers has the di2 electronic shifting...I'm still good with cables.

My current road bike is almost 20 years old, hard to believe. Also a Cannondale w/ Campagnolo Record 9 drivetrain. Aluminum with a CF fork...maybe 26 lbs
IMG_3441.JPG

I have had Shimano road bikes before, just been awhile as I have been an Italian Campy guy more. Will take a bit of adjustment to inputs and gear ranges...as well as the expected performance gains!
Now if the weather will break...and soon.

Feel like a ten year old eyeballing a new Stingray during a Christmas Day storm:banghead :whistle :bluduh

I have the gear, it just is not as much fun all layered up and I'm old/ wiser(allegedly)enough to wait it out. The windchill got my attention when I walked across to the shop...Nope. H tried to get me out, saying she was ready...she walked out and went to visit her galpals instead.

Now there's no excuse for not keeping up with her....:D

Enjoy, and you've still got a few months of good cycling weather, I assume.

Be hard to sandbag on this bike...I told her not to get mad if I go off the front the first hill:stick

We have had such a mild winter and riding a lot, come July-Aug, you go early and then hide.
This current cold snap is our coldest temps this winter and maybe last two years. March Roaring in for sure. Close the door up there!!

At the start of the LBJ 100 ride two years ago it was 28°F at the start...hoping for a better wake up at the end of March...but you never know here.

Nice ride, Steve! Now if you can remember how to ride after the winter layoff..... If the rain ever stops in AL, I'll be starting almost from ground zero this year. We had a great January to ride, then only one good weekend in February. And this first weekend in March, over 2" of rain for Saturday/Sunday, with sub-freezing temps forecast for the next 3 days before acceptably warm weather returns (mid-50's forecast for Thursday). Of course, the rain is forecast to come back on Friday and wash out next weekend, too! Here's hoping for better weather for us all -- and soon!

This current cold snap is our coldest temps this winter and maybe last two years. March Roaring in for sure. Close the door up there!!...

The Polar Vortex has hit hard, this winter; we had one of the coldest February's on record.

We need it to warm up, as it is spring skiing time.

I have the gear, it just is not as much fun all layered up and I'm old/ wiser(allegedly)enough to wait it out. The windchill got my attention when I walked across to the shop...Nope.

Hopefully your forecast of warm temps end of the week are correct and you can try out the new bike.
I was only able to get out a few times this winter. Way too cold and a lot of snow.
This morning low was -11 F.

Congrats...beautiful ride. My Specialized Roubaix is going on 15 years old as well and I'll likely start looking to replace it this summer. I really like the idea of disc brakes.

first ride

WOW:thumb

We left with sun shining,44°, and winds around 15mph...clouds caught up and temps back to 40. I felt like the Michelin man with about five layers of gear but my grin took over on the first climb...what a bike!

Pictures won't load...try later.

Very responsive and eats rough roads a bit (lot) better than my former steed. The noise the aluminum bike transmitted is gone...eerily quiet ride.
I didn't pass H on the first climb...but the new bike syndrome took off and I hammered a few times and took off where I do typically chase her. Had to stop and make a few minor adjustments after the saddle loosened...what shakedowns are for.
My old rim brakes do not compare to the new discs...surprise! I had a few short stops and laughed I didn't do a stoppie.

One of the biggest changes is the old quick release skewer is replaced by a 12mm thru axle that screws into the opposite frame or fork like the Hexheads and Wedge K's front axle do. H's 2017 still uses QR's.One review said this is where the industry is headed for whatever reason. Having to buy an adapter for the fork mount bike rack as that forever common setup does not work.

The gear ranges are going to take some adjustments, but having such a wide set of ratios is cool. I have had Campy for so long, I kept trying to use my thumb to downshift and missed the mickey mouse ears alongside the brake hoods. The downshift now also was the upshift move on the Campy setup...I'll figure it out. My thumbs are going to be bored until I do as that move has been so automatic. :laugh H laughed as she just pushed a button and rode by me with her di2 version .
Ride 2 tomorrow and warmer forecast :dance

The downshift now also was the upshift move on the Campy setup...I'll figure it out. My thumbs are going to be bored until I do as that move has been so automatic....

It'll be like accommodating to the paddle turn signal switches on the last generation BMWs.

Steve, good to hear you were able to get out, and I see the next few days look warm.
Forecast for us shows 3 to 5 inches of snow tomorrow. It may be April before I get the bicycle back out.

A couple weeks ago I looked at the new front axle setup and it looks more convenient than the ones I saw 2 years ago.

Put about 200 miles on the last few days...H not happy 100 was w/out her as she was working:violin Even though she claims she isn't keeping score. The new bike effect is probably influencing the feedback, but this bike rocks so far. Climbs are way easier, , descends crazy fast and my average speeds are up.

The shifting still is a hard habit to adapt my muscle/brain memory to and I still am getting used to the wider gear ranges from old 42/53 X 12-24 9 speed.. to the new 34/50 X 11-28 11 speed. My thumbs have no resting spot I have been familiar with since 1993 with the Campy bikes I have had...and it does remind me of the dual BMW blinker familiarity.
Looking down to see another gear or two to play with...priceless.
This bike has 700/28 tires as well and the 115psi I was used to on 23's is now a recommended 95psi. These Hollowgram wheels are tubeless ready, though I am not ready to jump on that wagon. They say the wider CF rims are a fun challenge on the side of road tire repairs and most punctures will seal with the goop in tire. I'll wait until that happens and make the call to try it out.

Saw these guys from Colorado's Lizard Head Cycling Guides in town earlier this week marking turns and waiting on their clients. Saw the van parked again yesterday and most of the bikes off their perches. A regular sign of Spring the last few seasons. All the bikes are well equipped Scotts. A week of Hill Country March Madness:dance

P1050679.JPG

Riding in between the heavy rains this week, we got rained on right after this as storms got here quicker than forecasted. Turning around here presents a l-o-n-g climb we just sped down around 40MPH...character building:thumb

P1060346.JPG

We rode across this Tuesday as it was dry after the previous Fridays overrun, not Thursday! Even the ranchers in trucks turned around as we were stopped. The water was at 1' level on post. The night before, 8-10!

P1060329.JPG

P1060337.JPG

Blanco State Park crossing between entrance and camping areas. the stream gauge sign is there, but bent over. the water was over the 5' sign at crest...flash flood alley, comes fast and receded as quickly.

Just returning from the 2019 Eastern Tandem Rally, Lynnfield, MA. My wife and I used the trip up to MA to nail the last 2 states east of the MS River on our quest to cycle in every state in the continental 48. On the way up to the Boston area, we stopped and rode our Santana Ti-700 in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and yes, a bit of MA (before driving on to the Rally). 125 tandem teams converged on the 4 Points - Sheraton for 4 glorious days of riding on roads rural enough to please this transplanted OK country boy. I honestly did not expect to find roads that quiet so near Boston. No, they weren't "Alabama Backroads quiet" or "Oklahoma Where are the cars? quiet", but the roads had low-enough traffic or wide enough shoulders to not delay the auto traffic for more than a few seconds. Most gave us plenty of clearance and a friendly wave as they passed (and they used their whole hand, not just 1 finger!)

Next trip on the schedule -- fly into Paris, then join w/Santana for a cycling cruise up the Rhein and Moiselle (sp)? from Paris to Amsterdam! Whooee!

I rode the first three days of RAGBRAI. Register Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa. Register is the Des Moines Register news paper.
This is the 47th year for the ride and most years there's 10,000 to 20,000 riders.
Sunday was 68 to 70 deg F with rain.
Sunday morning in Marne
Sunday (1).jpg

Monday and Tuesday were sunny with highs 70 to 80.

Tuesday morning northeast of Winterset.
Tuesday (10).jpg

The next two pictures are from the Des Moines Register.
Monday morning leaving Atlantic.
Atlantic.jpg

Tuesday morning northeast of Winterset.
Howell's.jpg

I stopped to get a picture of the EMT's R1200RT and he told me to hop on because he wanted a picture of himself on my bicycle.
Monday (4).jpg

They used to run a 650 single and RT, now they use two RTs.

Back