• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Bicycling thread

Been pedallling since I a kid and didn’t get my first Moto until 25. I’m down to 7.5 bicycles, (one’s a tandem), amd 4 motorcycles. Unfortunately I haven’t done squat on my push bikes in a few years except to ride a cruiser to the beach with my surfboard.

My newest bike is an ‘09 Intense VP Tracer custom build and my roadie is a Litespeed Palmares that was a custom build about 15 years ago and was insured for $15K for replacement. When I rode DH bikes over 10 years ago most of those builds were in the $10K range. The VP was about an $8K build.

From the little I’ve looked it seems the prices have come down quite a bit in certain areas in the last few years. I was surprised to hear 26” wheels are totally old school now too.

People’s jaws drop at what you can spend on 2 wheeled machinery but almost get it when you explain custom vs production builds and low number high end manufacturing etc.

I’ve always liked the good stuff and a big part for me is that I just love the technology and aestetic of a beautiful well made machine. Building up your own bicycles to your own specs is a special kind of joy too. I used to be a sales rep for a bunch of distributors, getting my hands on the goods was too easy therefore I was perpetually broke.

If I ever get around to another bike I like the look of the Surly Ice Cream Truck fatty which would be perfect for my neck of the woods. That or touring bikes for the missus and me, maybe Surly Long Haul Truckers.

I wonder what the weather will be like when I get home in November, maybe I’ll go for a ride.

Two wheels and no engine? Egads! What is wrong with you people! ;-)

I have a bicycle in the attic of the garage of some forgotten brand, Cannondale perhaps? I had it out last year and maybe put 50 miles on it. This year it never saw day light. I have never been one to put any real miles on, 3-4 miles at a time perhaps. I should get out and ride more, keep the 59 year old ticker loosened up, but there always seems to be something else to do. Besides, if it is nice enough to go for a bicycle ride, it is definitely good motorcycle weather!!

Could be wrong , but I have the feeling that riding the bicycle tunes my balance in general with motorcycling, or maybe it's visa-versa. Leg strength is also tuned up. The two compliment each other.

Plus handling skills are transferred, certainly for off-road. If you ride bicycles in big cities it also tunes those skills.

I spent a few months in Taipei, Taiwan riding a fixie back and forth to work, what a hoot that was! A fast scooter would have been the next best thing.

Def agree on skills transfer between bikes and motors. :thumb

Some of the different styles of bikes available offer something for everyone...well, most. Skinny tires, fat tires, electric assist models and foldables and at every price point.

The first time I saw one of these, I did a serious double take :scratch

cannondale-scalpel-si-carbon-1-309312-11.jpg

Single sided fork, single front crank ring and a massive 50 tooth rear cog

Then the fatties, from beach cruisers to hunting and fishing rigs, even something for the snow crowd.

5a7b9251dcca6.image.jpg

post-24897-0-51842800-1467043355.jpg

There are several e bikes in this class and a few foldables for the travelers. This segment continues to expand

electric-fat-tire-bike-24.jpg

Bicycling became my cardio as the ankles and knees began fading. Every time the big muscles squeeze, the heart says thank you.

Bicycling became my cardio as the ankles and knees began fading. Every time the big muscles squeeze, the heart says thank you.

Same here. I'm just not very graceful when I run and that puts a lot of strain on the joints. I now prefer the bicycle for cardio. Maybe it's the wind in my face. Oh wait, that's the motorcycles...

Nice bikes everybody. :thumb I've got a Lemond Reno road bike and a Specialized Diverge Elite, both of which I need to ride more often.

I was at my girlfriend's daughter's place for Thanksgiving and her son in law showed me his Ferrari edition Colnago. And daughter rides an Argon 18!

I've got to get me a Colnago, sometime. :D

Last edited:
Each year I see more of the fatties...

I get tired, just looking at those things. :D

I once rode a mountain bike from the winter gate on the Kananaskis Trail (Alberta Highway 40) all the way to its south terminus. This was the University's annual Pre-Cars event. I learned a lesson and got a Bianchi road bike for the following year's ride.

shiny...
P6210003-S.jpg
limited edition

Attachments

• P6210004-S.jpg
    P6210004-S.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 219
  • P6210005-S.jpg
    P6210005-S.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 217
  • P6210005-S.jpg
    P6210005-S.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 219
  • P6210004-S.jpg
    P6210004-S.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 213
Nice bikes everybody. :thumb I've got a Lemond Reno road bike and a Specialized Diverge Elite, both of which I need to ride more often.

I was at my girlfriend's daughter's place for Thanksgiving and her son in law showed me his Ferrari edition Colnago. And daughter rides an Argon 18!

I've got to get me a Colnago, sometime. :D

Wasn't Colnago who had those beautiful frame lugs with an ace of spades back when frames were joined with lugs? And Ferrari? Gotta be an eyecatcher red.

Wasn't Colnago who had those beautiful frame lugs with an ace of spades back when frames were joined with lugs? And Ferrari? Gotta be an eyecatcher red.

Yes, those are the ones. And the Ferrari bike is beautiful; there is a Cavallino Rampante on the top tube. Ernesto and Enzo were acquainted for many years.

In January Voni and I bought two brand spanking new BMW motorcycles. I strongly suspect that some of the pedal-bikes described in this thread cost more than my new motorcycle, and probably more than the cost of both motorcycles added together. But you are allowed to pedal and won't run out of gasoline, but might run out of fuel anyway. Independence Pass, anyone?

I have tried but never embraced bicycling. When riding the ALCAN or Cassiar there are often bicyclists to be seen, and they strike me as being hardy folk indeed. I admire their adventurous spirit and fitness. It must be a difficuly ride due to the climate, insects and need to primitive camp at times with only what one carries. Of course, in appearance they are typically lean mean riding machines. Once, however, as we we neared Tok on our way home we passed a solo rider about 30 miles south of town. He struck me as unusual because he was a very stout lad, unlike the typical rider who is nearing the end of a multi-thousand mile ride. We stayed at Young's Motel that night and had breakfast at Fast Eddie's the next morning. The rider was there having a huge breakfast, or two, and his unusual girth made a bit more sense.

Portland Bike

Years ago I had a decent ten speed that I broke one piece at a time, replacing all the bits with top of the line Campagnolo parts. The frame broke and I put the grupo in a box and forgot about it. Time came for a project so I started looking for a frame. my local bike shop sells stuff on consignment so I looked there. They had a very tall "Plum Crazy" purple hand built bike by the Portland builder Mark DiNucci. I got it for $375. A new hand build frame can cost $5000!. I put the bike together, after polishing all the components. It is beautiful. The cables are all routed inside the frame and it is just a tight and right lug construction steel bike. So on my first ride I found out why a mid 80s bike still has perfect paint. The wheel base is track bike short and riding slow, the front wheel will conflict with a toe. I got ahold of Mark DiNucci and asked if I could get a different fork or something to make it a more relaxed ride. He replied "If you were a better rider it wouldn't be a problem". I found that to be less than helpful. Still he was honest and right. The bike tracks like it is on rails and riding fast is fun.

Attachments

• BXM_Bike.jpg
    BXM_Bike.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 189
Only 3 of my bikes are not custom builds, these poor 2 have never had any maintenance beyond pumping up the tires and it’s starting to show. I think I got my $$ worth in the last 10 years of taking me and my board to the beach
IMG_1482-S.jpg

Back