• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Bicycling thread

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Well, thought this new section would have taken off a bit more, maybe this winter:dunno

Anyways, the other two wheeled transportation/exercise/adrenaline pumper activity often crosses borders, so here is my story.

Being the youngest in the family,I always seemed to get the hand-me-downs on most things, including wheeled toys. My first two bikes were missing the rubber from the pedals and the first one with the training wheels which had been used several kids got me going. My dad gave all three boys Stingray knock-offs one year and my first new bike...I was hooked.

I rode that bike everywhere chasing the bigger kids, doing wheelies, putting baseball cards in the spokes or balloons to make a motorcycle sound. The summer of 5th grade, I was playing chicken with my older brothers teenaged friends and I did not blink...result was a broken leg but bragging rights. A carful of high school girls in a '65 mustang stopped and took me home, much to the chagrin of the wreckees. I had a crush on Mustangs and high school girls after that:dance

As soon as the full cast came off, I got back on a bike and moved up to a ten speed that was my junior high steed soon after. Then I got a paper route and added a heavy duty hauler to hold the racks. I had the route for two years before I started working as a porter at the local Honda shop. Took me a few years to break the piggy bank and buy a used '67 Honda 90. Still had a ten speed, but the motor took over for a few years.

Fast forward to High School and the cycling bug called me back and I bought a French bike from Boones Cycles in Houston, soon built up another bike with Campagnolo and Zeus components and sew up tires and started doing camping and racing criteriums in Houston area...I often placed second in my age bracket...only two of us:whistle
Met and rode with John Howard and a few of his National team members who smoked our young a$$es...we loved it anyways.

Another jump in time after making a jump to a full time girlfriend then married and babies. The bike hung in garage and the motorcycles disappeared for many years. I rode with my kids and watched them get the scars and broken bones I did. The bug bit me again and started cycling on the '72 Mercian I had built up almost fifteen years before. This time I was in Austin and the hills and older body took some time to build endurance. Folks made fun of the old school components, but I could still outclimb the haters.

Replaced the '72 with a new '92 Vitus 992 with full Campagnolo components...sticker shock at $2300. Put many miles on that one and on a whim, I replaced with the current Cannondale I ride now...a 2002 Team Saeca Tour de France team replica also with full 9 speed Campy components Old but reliable.

Met Helen a few years later when she yelled at me to "get a motor" while I was waiting on a signal to change and two women on H-Ds pulled up alongside. We met again a few years later and after a few dates, we were riding Beemers and we stopped on a county road where three guys were stopped...she told them to "get a motor" . That's when I realized the Harley rider was her. Still laugh about that.

She started riding bicycles a few years back, however she recently bought a Cannondale Synapse, full carbon fiber, electronic shifting and has become a terror. I know have to work harder to keep up which is good and bad. I am back to cycling shape in spite of my Iowa Rally Hernia surgery pause. She asked the doctor at my follow up visit after surgery when I could get back to cycling...he said as soon as I wanted, just take it slow.We were on a 30 mile ride the next day:eek

IMG_1145.JPG

IMG_3031.jpg

This year I think we have more cycling miles than on the motors. Sure feels that way to me!

Last edited:
Great stories. When I was 14 I bought a genuine Sears and Roebuck Allstate Moped. 49cc's of wicked speed (30 mph) and no real need to pedal except to start the engine. This was freedom, all over town and beyond. My buddy Buzz and I would ride that thing two-up the 20 miles to go camping at the state park. Wire baskets held some stuff but Buzz had to hold the sleeping bags as we roared along to the park. I told myself then, and still agree now, "If it has two wheels and does not have a motor I am not interested."

I tried riding bicycles with the grandsons a few times. The pain overcame the togetherness so we took up shooting baskets and walking. :)

The side effects of pedaling have done well for me...except for that pre-teen broken leg part. Besides the smiling most of the time attitude, my blood pressure makes the nurses double check...was funny at hospital pre-op.
I am not 16,30, or 50 anymore, but cycling can level that playing field most the time. I eat better, though if I do eat that cheeseburger and fries a few times a week it's not that big of a deal. Resting heart rate and blood work recently came back good. We have been riding earlier in day to beat the heat, but being acclimated helped cycling and motoring.
I also had knee surgery last spring for a torn meniscus from years of pole climbing and jumping off trucks,poles and loading docks...same dang leg I broke way back. Was on crutches a few days, but on the bike within weeks...low impact and great physical therapy. Feels better than had in years.

My nephew in his late twenties was real cocky and called me old man when I was almost 50, took him to Hottern' Hell 100 in Wichita Falls TX during August...he blew off the front with some hammering fellas and I found him 40 miles later with an IV in his arm in a med tent. I finished feeling great and he said nothing... ever again.

We have been Mt Biking regularly as well, much harder than smooth pavement and better chance of layin'it down...which you try to avoid. If lucky, just step off bike, if not it may hurt. Trail riding on hike and bike trails lets you cover a lot of ground. The state parks have some serious trails meant for more youthful abandon, I know better now though I have better insurance. We do them, but will get off when it's prudent.
I tried do attach the pic of her still at the top shaking her head but not happening with that one.

KIMG0481.jpeg

Found her a Cannondale V with a carbon swingarm bike a bikeshop guy had refreshed for his girlfriend for a gift...she wanted something more like an Iphone so I got a deal. Mine is another old school hardtail with rockshox fork Cannondale I have had many years...once again it does fine.

We take the mt bikes in our toyhauler when traveling that way and get to try out a lot of scenic trails. Makes getting around the parks way more fun too.

We did the LBJ ride two years ago...early April and should be in the 50's at start...was 28 and off we went. :scratch Dang it was cold

FullSizeRender-4.jpg

Count me in on this thread. I've been motoring since 1963 (Honda C200 90cc) and pedaling since about 1955 or 56. Unlike Steve, I don't have a gap longer than 6 mos (and then only once) in motoring, and no gap in pedaling. Today I have a '12 Bonneville and a '15 RT in the motor garage, and a Santana Ti-700, a Bianchi CF, a custom Terry (built for me) and my wife has a custom Co-Motion. Most of my travels are on 2 wheels, the only way to go! Over the years, I've owned about a dozen motors, and more "pushbikes" than I can list. I've worked in motorcycle shops, as an engineer (for Raleigh bicycles), and I've owned (and still own 1) several bicycle shops over the years. 2 wheels are the best way to travel, most of the time.

I knew there are several here:thumb

A bud back in the day had a Raleigh Record with Campagnolo bling...we hated him just a bit riding a Murray:bow

The places a bike and motors have taken me thru the years have been great times and crazy memories.

Count me in as well...current ride is a a Specialized Roubaix full carbon frame ($2600 bike with the right size frame for me that I found on CL for $900...DEAL!) I'll do 30-40 miles 2X/week, depending on how much time I have. I'm an avid skier (alpine/backcountry touring) and the biking is the best summer exercise I've found to keep the legs somewhat in shape.

I always liked bicycles as a kid but stopped riding after high school.
About 20 years later I got back into it when we bought a couple Trek 7600 Hybrids. I think that was 1993.

IMG_0060.jpg

In 2000 I added a Trek 2300 road bike to our collection.
It was a demo bike that was used on RAGBRAI. RAGBRAI is a annual ride across Iowa.
Here's a picture from 2 years ago when I was getting ready to sell it. Decided to keep it :)

2000 Trek 2300 (4).JPG

2017 (2).jpg

A couple years after that Debbie also bought a RAGBRAI demo bike, a Lemond Big Sky SL.

20180311_141019.jpg

8-12-16 (2).jpg

8-7-2016 (2).jpg

On longer rides I used her bike.
scan0001.jpg

In 2012 we traded our Hybrids for Trek 7.5 Hybrids.
P1000262.JPG

P1000304.JPG

In 2016 I bought a left over Trek Domane 5.9. It's full carbon fiber with electric shift.

8-5-16 Ride (3).jpg

RAGBRAI Monday (2).JPG

This summer Debbie sold her Lemond to a friend that has wanted it ever since she bought it and purchased a 2 year left over Trek Domane 6.
This bike is also full carbon fiber.

2016 Domane 6 Series  (1).jpg

7-7-2018 (1).jpg

7-3-2018 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Here's a few pictures from Mackinac Island and Manistique Mich. Sep 2017.

20170917_125816.jpg

20170918_124601 (2).jpg

20170920_132950 (2).jpg

20170919_124712 (2).jpg

P1040296.JPG

20170923_132535.jpg

P1040325.JPG

This is the Sarris rack we use.

Sarris & Domanes (3).jpg

I know more folks are chiming in, some head scratchers as well. The techies and engineers should be impressed with the current iteration of pedaled machines and the innovations.

The ever improving technology of bicycles kinda reminds me of modern motorcycles,especially the innovations from BMW. From frame materials and design, to drivetrains and wheel/tire technology the bikes currently out there are as impressive.

I look at the latest drivetrain on a touring/racing bike for example...it now has 11 cogs at the wheel hub where 5 was the way it was for years.The chain is so narrow now, was already narrow with the 9 speed vintage I ride. Hydraulic disc brakes on both wheels and even electronic shifting are a available. The same option on mountain bikes and hybrids as well.

H's newest is a full monocoque carbon frame and fork, disc brakes,Shimano di2 electric shifting and an 10 speed drivetrain. Visual and technology A+
cannondale-synapse-al-disc-105-277991-1.jpg

cannondale-synapse-di2-disc-2016-6-e1467968924386.jpg

Compared to my aluminum framed 9 speed from early 2000's, it is a space shuttle vs turbo prop plane. I can keep up, but having a few more lower cogs and wider range of front chainrings makes climbing a chore more for me. I hear a chirp from her derailleur and look down to see I have no more to bail to. Good times.

The tires are bead type, often at 115psi or more and boy will they go off like a gunshot. Prior to this evolution in the 80's, race tires were tubular, tube sewed insde carcass and glued to the shallow dished rim.On hot descents hard braking and maybe a questionable glue job, the tire could roll offthe rim. BTDT.
Was so glad when that changed. Michelin and Continental have been in this market for years among others.

I saw a Campagnolo component page with Brembo brake calipers. Shimanos are brand stamped, but imagine it's a known brake builder. Magura is a big player from day one.
cannondale-synapse-di2-disc-2016-4-e1467968966407.jpg

I still have rim brakes on both my bikes and after riding a disc bike... just like difference of a /5 and a current model...major.Rim brakes will stop you still, but under certain conditions fade quickly.

Mountain bikes now are available with 29" wheels from the long time 26". I poo-pooed them as a fad until I gave one a try recently.It was like going to a 21" dirt bike wheel over a 17".
There are some cool fat tire bikes, some now with electric motors in a few different drivelines. E-bikes take some of the excuses away as well, rent one and check them out.

Can you tell it was raining here? Sorry:wave

Last edited:
I look at the latest drivetrain on a touring/racing bike for example...it now has 11 cogs at the wheel hub where 5 was the way it was for years.The chain is so narrow now, was already narrow with the 9 speed vintage I ride. Hydraulic disc brakes on both wheels and even electronic shifting are a available. The same option on mountain bikes and hybrids as well.

Our old road bikes had 9 sprockets in the back, 3 in the front. Our new bikes have 11 in back and 2 in front.
I like the 11 speed double gearing better than the 9 speed triple.
I don't have a granny gear now, but 99% of the time the current gearing is better for me.
Di2 shifting is :thumb:thumb:thumb :rocker

Newer mid to high end bikes are really amazing.
A lot of bargains out there if you buy left overs or used.

Raining here also :)
5.5" since Saturday and a couple of tornadoes close to town late afternoon.
This is after 12" a couple weeks back :(
The yard started to flood but the rain stopped before it got up to the house.

Just after the front came thru, leaving almost 2", H jumped on her mt bike to go splash ...I took a nap. Road ride tomorrow is good for me.

Nice thread :thumb
I have a Shogun Bike. I guess you would call it a mountain bike. Being circa 1983, I don't think the mountain bike term had been invented yet. I bought it for the larger tires to soften the ride. I have a Dahon folding bike in the motorhome as well. At this stage of things :gerg I like the folder better as I find it really uncomfortable being leaned forward (on the Shogun).
Perhaps something like a 20" with a more upright position and suspension could get me back on....as I would like to. I used to watch Superbikes with a host named Jason Britton. He was a stunt-rider extraordinaire and on his off days, to stay in shape, he would do 27 mile loops on his bike- Specialized IIRC. Great exercise and it seems that many of the top athletes rely on the benefits of being on a bike.
OM

It had pedals. :) The last vehicle I have had with pedals.

Attachments

• AllstateMoped.jpg
    AllstateMoped.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 637
I know more folks are chiming in, some head scratchers as well. The techies and engineers should be impressed with the current iteration of pedaled machines and the innovations.

The ever improving technology of bicycles kinda reminds me of modern motorcycles,especially the innovations from BMW. From frame materials and design, to drivetrains and wheel/tire technology the bikes currently out there are as impressive.

H's newest is a full monocoque carbon frame and fork, disc brakes,Shimano di2 electric shifting and an 10 speed drivetrain. Visual and technology A+
View attachment 71062

View attachment 71066

Compared to my aluminum framed 9 speed from early 2000's, it is a space shuttle vs turbo prop plane. I can keep up, but having a few more lower cogs and wider range of front chainrings makes climbing a chore more for me. I hear a chirp from her derailleur and look down to see I have no more to bail to. Good times.

The tires are bead type, often at 115psi or more and boy will they go off like a gunshot. Prior to this evolution in the 80's, race tires were tubular, tube sewed insde carcass and glued to the shallow dished rim.On hot descents hard braking and maybe a questionable glue job, the tire could roll offthe rim. BTDT.
Was so glad when that changed. Michelin and Continental have been in this market for years among others.

I saw a Campagnolo component page with Brembo brake calipers. Shimanos are brand stamped, but imagine it's a known brake builder. Magura is a big player from day one.
View attachment 71063

I still have rim brakes on both my bikes and after riding a disc bike... just like difference of a /5 and a current model...major.Rim brakes will stop you still, but under certain conditions fade quickly.

Mountain bikes now are available with 29" wheels from the long time 26". I poo-pooed them as a fad until I gave one a try recently.It was like going to a 21" dirt bike wheel over a 17".
There are some cool fat tire bikes, some now with electric motors in a few different drivelines. E-bikes take some of the excuses away as well, rent one and check them out.

Can you tell it was raining here? Sorry:wave

That Cannondale Synapse is a LOT of bike for the $$$.

Last year my daughter and I did the Shoreline West Tour along the Lake Michigan coast. A 7 day, 387 miles trip through really beautiful country side. Lots of great scenery and lots of hills. One of the highlights for me was the ride through the "tunnel of trees" which is an iconic motorcycle ride. I had ridden the tunnel several times on the BMW. The slower speeds on the bicycle allowed me to really enjoy my surroundings and provided a totally different experience. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to do the tunnel again on the motorcycle. The colors should be peaking but the temps will be in the 40's.

Small_2017 shoreline (3).jpg

shoreline2017tunnel2.jpg

Small_2017 shoreline (4).jpg

My roadie is an Alan Ultral carbon aluminum hybrid '04, mountain cross Giant NRS 3. Got back in the riding in 2000 when I decided I didn't want the BIG one before my time.

Started riding when I could reach the pedals of the family bike, JC Higgins 26 ballon. Many painful crashes on that bar, about '52. First bike hand down English three speed sisters bike. Which I crashed racing a Cushman Eagle, when the passenger kicked me into the gravel as I get even downhill. Next the first ten speed from sears. No one could believe how it could shift gears until I showed'em. About that time some new cars could be ordered with 4 speed trannies. Imagine! A bike with ten? Started doing long rides for that time, fifty miles out through the countryside. Next a Gitane, got married and gave it up until the Alan.

It's said you never forget how to ride a bike, but that first twenty feet was whoa! Now ride 15 miles every three days. No racing. Just ride a 52 to 14 gear all the time.

Should add, it's one of the best things I ever did for myself. It's solitude, it's nature, it's cardio, restful to stop and look up at the clouds on a sunny day, fun to nod at the regulars going the other way, and good to check the old pressure in the evening.

Todays ride through open range, always some interesting encounters, but the less traveled county road is a favorite route. We were startled by two huge elk right alongside roadway , though behind hi fencing at a wildlife refuge, never have seen them here.The picture taker (me) was not quick enough

P1030845-2.JPG

P1030851-2.JPG

P1030807-2.JPG

And they were already stringing the lights in J-city at the Electric Co-op

View attachment 71091
P1030823-2.JPG

Last edited:
Not as much as a cow broadside! Her strobe headlight seems to aggrivate them. Usually just the young ones scramble.

Some are newer and somewhat smooth...then there are the rest.:banghead

Those pics sure came out tiny this time...have to figure out what I did to cause that

Back