Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Excellent pix! Congrats to you and Debbie! I've always said that she's a strong lady! Tim and I hope to see you two in a few weeks in Jasper!
    Last edited by susan-nc; 09-25-2019 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by susan-nc View Post
    Tim and I hope to see you two a few weeks in Jasper!
    We'll be there
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Love my pedal powered machines

Just ran across this thread, not sure how I missed it before. Good to see others enjoy cycling so much also. I love my bicycles as much as the motorcycles, and credit cycling with keeping me in reasonable shape in recent years. I was the first kid in my school to get a 10 spd - a gorgeous blue Schwinn Varsity that I got in 7th grade. Yes they were heavy and not technically great bikes but I sure didn't know it at the time. Even with all our hills (SF Peninsula) I rode everywhere for almost a decade.. then I got into motorcycles and like many.. didn't ride a bike again until I got a mountain bike at age 38.

I had also became a runner in my early 30's, which was my main form of exercise and beer gut prevention until the knees started complaining when I was 50 (both had been 'scoped previously, and no one informed me how the smaller remaining of cartilage would lead to osteoarthritis, duh..). Since I had already been mountain biking for years, road cycling filled the gap in cardio workouts and worked a miracle for my knees. I have reached a point now (at age 64) where if I DON'T ride for 3-4 days my knees begin to get stiff. So it is an important component of health for me.

I currently have a fleet of four bikes which I really enjoy. I have slowly moved away from chasing lighter weight and technology to just enjoying the pleasure of riding, hence three of the bikes are now steel. The ride comfort (and slightly heavier weight) encourages a more relaxed pace, and the old fashioned retro look and feel add to the enjoyment. The Waterford especially rides like a dream. It is amazing.

Specialized Roubaix Expert - my main workout bike, full carbon. Ride it fast, haha.. 2-3 times a week and for hill work.

Waterford ST-22 - handmade lugged steel road bike made in Waterford, WI. Used for more longer, more relaxed weekend rides. Unbelievable ride quality and a work of art. I keep it in the living room just to look at.

Jamis Quest Elite - Reynolds 631 steel road bike - keep it in SE Asia, where I spend winters. Almost as light and just as fast as my Roubaix, despite the skinny tubes. I ride steep hills there and the ride down is always an exercise in high speed avoidance maneuvers - dogs, people, trucks, Jeepneys, etc)..

Jamis Dragon Pro - Reynolds 853 steel hardtail mountain bike that I have used in the Philippines but keep here now. A bit heavy for real cross country singletrack but really pretty and perfect for normal trails which is all I do anymore anyway..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 F800GT Valencia Orange (Sold)
    2017 R1200RT Carbon Black (Sold)
    2013 R1200GS

I like the looks of the Waterford.
    Steel is real.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Thanks.. haha.. yes if it's done right there actually is a difference in ride.
    2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    This bike has 700/28 tires as well and the 115psi I was used to on 23's is now a recommended 95psi. ...
    I'm surprised at that recommendation for tire psi.

About 15 years ago I had grown tired of skinny tires and their limitations. I set out to find something more versatile. I did not want to have to choose between a road bike or mountain bike, and stick to one sort of terrain or the other. This was long before disc brakes had made it to road bikes, and long before the recent "gravel grinder" craze that was largely facilitated by disc brakes (by eliminating the tire-width limitations of conventional rim brakes.)

I ended up settling on a cycle cross bike and then modifying it quite a bit to make it better on pavement. The advantage was better brake and fork crown clearances, allowing much wider tires. I started with 32C, then 30C, then 28C and have pretty much settled back at 30C as the best for all-round riding. Very versatile and capable.

I assumed wider tires would slow me down a fair bit on pavement but decided it was worth the compromise for mixed-use capability. I was surprised and initially baffled to find the bike was still quite fast - - even faster than my pure road bike with skinny tires - - on pavement. There was definitely a performance improvement.

Of course, in the past few years the benefits of wider tires and the understanding that they offer decreased rolling resistance, has become all the rage. Why it took the industry so long to recognize this is truly amazing. I was an adherent well over a decade ago, even without wide profile carbon rims that also decrease wind resistance. My riding friends remained skeptical until very recent years. Some are finally beginning to transition as they shop for new bikes...

But by over-pressurizing the wider tires, much of the decreased rolling resistance (as well as improved ride and braking ability) is lost. Unless you are a tremendously heavy individual, with 28C tires you should be pressurizing to no more than 75 psi, and more like 60. Less if you are a lightweight. As mentioned, I now run 30C and set them around 45-50 psi.

I would encourage you to at least give a lower tire pressure setting a try. You may be surprised. You will also find that you don't need to pump up the tires nearly as often, because with the extra air volume of the wider tires, and lower pressure, they just don't lose pressure very quickly at all.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    This bike has 700/28 tires
    The last time I was in the shop I noticed most of the 2020 Trek road bikes had 700x32 tires.
    I'm guessing most other brands did the same.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

I most recently put some 32mm Gatorskins on the Waterford as I like the capability of carrying a load, and I run them at 75psi. Very comfortable, but they feel a bit slow. On the other two road bikes I use Conti GP4000 in a 25mm which are actually 26 wide. I run them at 90psi and they are fast and the ride is okay. I never get flats on Continentals. I think I'm coming around to 28mm being the best compromise, and that's what everything will get next time.
    2013 R1200GS

Quote Originally Posted by jbinaz View Post
    I most recently put some 32mm Gatorskins on the Waterford as I like the capability of carrying a load, and I run them at 75psi. Very comfortable, but they feel a bit slow. On the other two road bikes I use Conti GP4000 in a 25mm which are actually 26 wide. I run them at 90psi and they are fast and the ride is okay. I never get flats on Continentals. I think I'm coming around to 28mm being the best compromise, and that's what everything will get next time.
    Sometime I'll stop at the shop and try a wheel and 28mm tire to see if it will clear my Ultegra rim brakes.
    Current tire size is 25mm.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

If the wider tires aren’t matched to a wider rim profile, the speed and comfort benefits often aren’t realized because you generally need to run higher tire pressure than you do with a wider rim.

Even running low tire pressure, it’s been over a decade of cycling since my last flat tire. Specialized Armadillo ELITE. (Had one flat with them about 11 years ago when I ran over an upright industrial staple with 32C tires.) They are a bit heavy and not the fastest, but getting flats is much slower.

Very comfortable, but they feel a bit slow. .
    My legs slow me down
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878

Why my Schwinn was Faster....

Why my Schwinn was Faster...(previously posted on I-BMW)

I got into bicycle racing back in the 70s.

At the time my ride was a Schwinn Super Le Tour 12.5.

The 12.5 optimistically stood for the weight in kilograms but was actually 13 kilos or 28.5 lbs.

It had Schwinn Components, 27 inch clincher wheels, and 1 1/4 " tubed tires.

After training with a club for one summer (Queen City Wheelmen), it was set aside for a custom bike ordered from the Yellow Jersey in Madison, WI.

San Rensho criterium frame, Campy Record groupo, Araya aerodynamic rims, narrow sew-up tires, Swiss DT spokes, Cinelli handlebars.

The club had a weekly time trial along the Ohio and Miami rivers, just west of Cincinnati.

As I recall, the route went past Harrison's Tomb.

Good pavement and only rare traffic.

Plus the finish line was a short hop back to the starting line where we parked our cars if we didn't ride to get there.

The Schwinn had several TTs under its belt with respectable times (at least for a Cat IV).

But the San Rensho/Campy was going to shame the previous times.

I least that was the expectation.

The San Rensho never performed as well, not even close.

I couldn't figure it out.

Training was going well, but the times just weren't there.

The suspicion at the time was that the stiffness of the new bike was causing enough discomfort to slow things down.

Replaced the steel forks with aluminum and still couldn't make it work.

So tonight, decades later, I'm looking at Cycling Weekly and there's an article about Campy's new tubeless wheels, ceramic bearings and all.

And, midway though the article:

Knowing that wider tyres are aerodynamically faster, Campagnolo has designed the wheels with 25 and 28mm tyres. It has also recognised that rolling resistance is affected by the standard of tyres used, with tubular tyres being the slowest and tubeless the fastest with clinchers in-between.

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...-wheels-375973

I miss that Schwinn.

I got on my road bike this past summer for the first time in 3 years for a short scoot. I need to get back riding more than to the beach with a surfboard plus my cruisers are just about done after 12 years of zero maintenance besides air in the tires.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Tires that feel fast may actually be slow???

The rub is that a higher pressure often “feels” faster. You feel every bit of road – the wheels might seem stiffer and faster – it’s as though every bit of your pedaling energy translates directly into forward motion, but this is a false intuition.
    https://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/...ance_7406.html