Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40 48 49 50

Thread: The Bicycling thread

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I had to go to Providence RI the other day. In the “city” rack I saw a frame. The owner used the “city” rack (parking meter) they missed putting the lock cable through the wheels.
    OM
    3B09EB19-4F99-429D-8061-5D0DB48D0D64.jpeg

Have seen examples like this around UT Campus. I have pulled front wheel and laid alongside rear to lock both to frame and anchored objects. Typically don’t leave long enough for that kind of strip.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Seven makes some beautiful bikes. I have test-ridden a few and even visited their design/manufacturing shop just outside Boston. Nice ride and nice folks. That one in your photos is sharp.

But based on what I know about their frame prices, I think the $1200 bare frame price is incorrect. Admittedly it’s been a while since I studied their price list, but I seem to recall that adding the SS coupler option to one of their frames is a $1000+ option, bringing a bare custom frame into the $4-5K range.

But maybe they are now creating some non-custom frames at a lower price-point? Still hard to see how they’d get the price down to $1200, though.
    It was a basic frame I found and thought low for a Ti frame. One high end built up coupler bike was 11K.

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    It was a basic frame I found and thought low for a Ti frame. One high end built up coupler bike was 11K.
    Huh?! Maybe some kind of left-over or liquidation deal? I really don't think you can get any custom Seven bare frame for less than $3K. Maybe not for less than $4K even.

I did notice on their website that they are quoting delivery of new orders in 7 weeks, which is much less than I remember in the past.

Coincidentally, just yesterday I took deliver of this, but I had to wait two years for it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 F700GS

Motorcycling: There are worse ways to die.

Which firm built that frame, Vark?

Those Sevens are cool.
    Rinty

Quote Originally Posted by Rinty View Post
    Which firm built that frame, Vark?

Those Sevens are cool.
    Rinty,

Frame was built by Firefly. They are a much smaller shop than Seven, also in Boston. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone considering a custom titanium frame.

I will show more details at some point down the road. For now this is staying in bubble wrap and going on the shelf. It will be a while before I save enough nickels to buy components....
    2013 F700GS

Quote Originally Posted by vark View Post
    Rinty,

Frame was built by Firefly.

I will show more details at some point down the road. For now this is staying in bubble wrap and going on the shelf. It will be a while before I save enough nickels to buy components....
    I get that, either drive me crazy stacking enough nickels or better chance of not
    remembering where I put it away” safely”

Quote Originally Posted by henzilla View Post
    I get that, either drive me crazy stacking enough nickels or better chance of not
    remembering where I put it away” safely”

Ha! I’ve been known to “lose track” of more than a few things, too.

But this is going to a “secure location” - - not my blackhole of a garage!
    2013 F700GS

Love the Ti talk! Seven and FireFly make beautiful frames, for sure. Vark, hurry up with the saving so we can see that frame without the bubble wrap.

I've built up a number of bikes over the last 4 years - all with Shimano Ultegra mechanical. For me it is the best value/performance groupset. I do have 105 shifters on my gravel bike and I'm annoyed by the 'rattle' every time I ride gravel. Ultegra doesn't rattle. In my 9 speed days I used Dura Ace. It was really nice, and lasted a long time (still on the bike).

For full groupsets, I have purchased 3 sets from Merlin cycles in the UK. Each set was about $620 and included everything except for hubs and cable housing, free shipping & no tax. When I was sourcing parts, I wasn't able to find anything in the US that even came close to those prices. But COVID has raised the prices on parts: the same groupset is now about $740. Maybe check them out: they carry SRAM, the new GRX, and Campy. The MTB groupsets tend to be continually out of stock, though. Winter prices are definitely cheaper. February is a great time to make bike related purchases.

For the last 8 days I've been at my dad's place on the shore of Lake Champlain in the Adirondacks. He is getting up there in age and isn't as mobile as he used to be. He is struggling to maintain his house and COVID isolation got him pretty depressed so I went up to be company and clean/repair his place. I did a lot of work but I also found time to go riding every day. Usually early in the morning. The riding is spectacular. When riding near the shore, you get a view of the lake and the Green Mountains of Vermont. When riding in the 'valley', you get a great view of the eastern Adirondack mountains (Vermont gets the best view of the Adirondacks). The only downside is that there is very little flat. My dad lives at lake level - so every ride starts with a few miles of climbing. Not the best way to warm up!

I have been riding these roads for over 20 years on both bicycles and motorcycles so they aren't really new to me. I did find some new gravel, though. I only rode road bikes in previous years. 13 years ago Michelle and I rode around the lake staying at bed and breakfasts. I think it was about 300 miles to get around the lake, we took our time and did 50 miles or so a day. It was a really great trip.

Anyway, here are a few pictures from my time up there:

The first day I got up at sunrise and got on the road. These photos are from the village of Essex, a quaint little village with a little tourist activity because it is the NY terminus of one of the 5? ferries operating on the lake. Port Kent and Ticonderoga ferries are closed.

Sunrise.jpg

essex1.jpg

essex2.jpg
    Last edited by kurtr11s; 08-21-2020 at 02:32 PM.

There are lots of lakes and ponds in the Adirondacks. Most aren't visible from the road but at Lincoln Ponds they built the road right between the two ponds. Here is the northern pond. The southern pond has a state campsite on it's shore.

LincolnPonds.jpg

A view of the Adirondacks from the farmland in the valley. I'm actually on a hill where I stopped to take the photo. Like I said, not much flat.

Adirondacks.jpg

Wadhams, NY, is an old mill town on the Boquet (or Bouquet) River. Either way, you pronounce it 'bo-ket'. They have funny pronunciation up there. The Boreas river is pronounced 'boris'.

Wadhams.jpg

I thought this was a nice image at the Westport marina.

marina.jpg

I did other stuff beside ride bikes.

canoe.jpg
    Last edited by kurtr11s; 08-21-2020 at 02:35 PM.

Ended up putting about 200 miles with 15000 feet of climbing in my 6 riding days. My most adventurous ride was one where I had my dad drop me off at the top of a mountain and I was going to explore a gravel road that lead back into town. Now before you think I'm a wimp, I had ridden to the drop off point the previous day and it ended up being my biggest single climb on strava: 1440ft. This was also my second ride of the day and I was planning on finishing at the local brewery in town. It was just for 'fun'.

Within the first quarter mile I had missed the turn for the road I was trying to ride and ended up on a rough Jeep trail that went straight down for 3 miles. I was on road tires and rode the brakes the whole way! Here are a couple of pics of the easier sections. On the harder sections I had my hands full just trying to make it down. The beer at the end was worth it.

This should have been a warning to turn around. I had already descended a lot and didn't want to climb back up. Mistake.

stop.jpg

When is this going to end? The longest downhill 3 miles of my life.

GravelAdventure.jpg

LedgeHill.jpg

kurt,

Thanks for the tip on groupsets from Merlin in the UK. I will definitely compare prices with some of the on-line shops here in the US. I too like both the Ultegra and 105 components for their value.

But this is going to be a SRAM ETAP Hydro Disc groupset. This could be be my last bike ever - - certainly the only custom frame I will ever order - - so I am treating myself. Hence why it is going to be a while before I save up the jingle for the next big splurge after the frame.

That was some very nice riding up around Champlain area. And some seriously bumpy downhill terrain for a roadbike - - glad you made it without incident. Nice of you to lend a hand to dear old dad, too. Those are memories you won't regret in coming years.
    2013 F700GS

Merlin does have Force ETAP hydro. Prices are meh.

I recently helped my nephew set up Ultegra hydro. PITA. I had an easier time bleeding the brakes after replacing my R1100S lines with Spiegler SS. Even after a couple of flushes, the lever feel wasn't as hard as I was expecting. Shimano uses mineral oil, I think SRAM uses DOT brake fluid. Good thing titanium isn't painted: I got that mineral oil all over everything. I wonder if anyone has had trouble with DOT fluid and painted carbon frames?

Thanks Kurt for the Lake Champlain area pics.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT