• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

engine coolant level

jfoster

I did my 18,000 mile service yesterday on my 16 rt. I checked my coolant level and noticed it was low so I filled it to where it needed to be.
5 months ago when I did the 12,000 I had the same issue. I haven't had any problems with the bike overheating, didn't see any coolant in the
oil when I changed it, haven't seen any coming out of the weep hole. Was wondering if anybody else has had to keep an eye on their coolant levels.
Thanks in advance for your replies.

It's funny how the weep hole seepage issue went from "replace the water pump!" to "add a drain line so it doesn't get on the pretty black engine!" :laugh

It's funny how the weep hole seepage issue went from "replace the water pump!" to "add a drain line so it doesn't get on the pretty black engine!" :laugh

Not a surprise. The owners of new bikes can be a bit hysterical sometimes when they perceive that their new motorcycle isn't perfectly perfect perfection.

My 2016 needed a top up from "min" to "max" at about 2500 miles - that required 2 oz of coolant mix (50/50 coolant/distilled water). That was mid summer 2017 and I occasionally saw some evidence of dripping out of the weep hole.

I topped it off again around 7500 - 8000 miles mid summer this year, again it took about 2 oz of coolant mix. I've seen less and less evidence of dripping out of the weep hole.

The level now seems to be sitting pretty close to "max".

I wouldn't be too concerned unless it really starts losing a lot of coolant quickly.

Back