• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hella Supertone horns.. obnoxious looking but they work!

soocom1

So about two weeks ago I had an individual in a brand new white and chrome Kia SUV thingy decide that my presence on the public road could be ignored. As he proceeded to turn into the road from the side street and deciding he needed to take up the majority of my lane and over the white painted line on the road that I assume he thought was a suggestion...I proceeded to lay on my traffic awareness suggestion device typically called a horn.

Zip..zero..nada..niet...nicht...iie...helena...gost..haljna'...

No beep...no squeel...no flutter..nothing.

The "awareness suggestion device..." Had left this world.

So I gave my new friend a gesture of love and admeration with a verbally extalled expression to him over his consideration toward fellow citizens on the roadway and his wonderful driving skills he exercized so expertly.

So I set off on a journy to find the best replacement traffic alert device and looked at everything from the factory beep beeps to Peterbuilt Freighttrain horns.

Though the latter wohld be enough to wake the dead prudance told me that modification of the electrical system with a large alternator and mounting of a truck battery on the back was unadvisable.

So I settled on the Hella Supertone in red.

They came in and dispite having been ordered new they had no relay and bug intestines spewed on the frame.

After a corful and vibrant expression of opinion on Amazon to my pleasure of thier sales practices I none theless mounted them.

I mounted them on the front just under the headlight and they look like early 80's errings.

On testing them I sent the cats racing under the bed and our house jester for a dog whining to his mommy to the blood curdling screetch that pierced his poor doggy ears. I even got evil looks from my chickens this morning.

I have tested them on the road and yes the drivers of New Mexico now are aware of my presence on the throughfare.
I shall post a picture soon enough once the system allows my pictures to post.

You should be able to post your picture. Use the paper clip above, follow the prompts not forgetting “done” in the lower right of the screen.
OM

picture size

Alter your photo to 600K size instead of typical phone picture size 1.6M. I had trouble until reducing the size. fyi

Hella Horns

I like your horn idea. I added a different new safety features to my 2003 K1200GT.

Being a new rider, I have not figured out the horn. Usually I am too surprised by the other drivers actions for me to do anything other than to brake, swerve, and hold on.

I don't get around to the horn part except when trying to use the left turn signal. Anyway, car doors opening, intersection cut offs, lane switching seem to be on every ride. I have the gloves, boots, bright Orange jacket, full face helmet. Stay away from parked cars, avoid yellow lights, etc.

My new safety feature is to have floppy fog lights. $12 for dual 12vt LED fog lights ebay, I leave them loose. Nothing bugs me more than an old beat up truck or a 18 wheeler truck with a floppy headlight.

Very distracting to me. Bouncing every bump on the highway/road. Anyway, that is my great idea.

Yeah! Have to check those out. So, why do we hide the horn(s) on motorcycles???
The other problem is your K75, like mine, is too quiet. My neighbors cannot understand why my bike does not make the same amount of noise as the V-twins and crotch rockets.

i use the same horns in my 1975 BMW 2002 (car). they are nice and loud....people don't see small vintage cars on the road either...

So, why do we hide the horn(s) on motorcycles???

All three of our current Beemers have additional horns.

I keep them under body work to keep the rain and sand out. Even under body work, if pointed the wrong way water and sand will eventually ruin the horn.

A set of FIAMMs Freeway Blasters are relatively inexpensive and the two tone blast works well.

Our 2002 K1200RS has FIAMMs mounted in tandem on the left side, inside the fairing, just in front of the radiator on a bracket I fabricated.

Back