Thread: Hella Supertone horns.. obnoxious looking but they work!

Hella Supertone horns.. obnoxious looking but they work!

So about two weeks ago I had an individual in a brand new white and chrome Kia SUV thingy decide that my presence on the public road could be ignored. As he proceeded to turn into the road from the side street and deciding he needed to take up the majority of my lane and over the white painted line on the road that I assume he thought was a suggestion...I proceeded to lay on my traffic awareness suggestion device typically called a horn.

Zip..zero..nada..niet...nicht...iie...helena...gos t..haljna'...

No beep...no squeel...no flutter..nothing.

The "awareness suggestion device..." Had left this world.

So I gave my new friend a gesture of love and admeration with a verbally extalled expression to him over his consideration toward fellow citizens on the roadway and his wonderful driving skills he exercized so expertly.

So I set off on a journy to find the best replacement traffic alert device and looked at everything from the factory beep beeps to Peterbuilt Freighttrain horns.

Though the latter wohld be enough to wake the dead prudance told me that modification of the electrical system with a large alternator and mounting of a truck battery on the back was unadvisable.

So I settled on the Hella Supertone in red.

They came in and dispite having been ordered new they had no relay and bug intestines spewed on the frame.

After a corful and vibrant expression of opinion on Amazon to my pleasure of thier sales practices I none theless mounted them.

I mounted them on the front just under the headlight and they look like early 80's errings.

On testing them I sent the cats racing under the bed and our house jester for a dog whining to his mommy to the blood curdling screetch that pierced his poor doggy ears. I even got evil looks from my chickens this morning.

I have tested them on the road and yes the drivers of New Mexico now are aware of my presence on the throughfare.
    I shall post a picture soon enough once the system allows my pictures to post.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    You should be able to post your picture. Use the paper clip above, follow the prompts not forgetting “done” in the lower right of the screen.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I like the narrative a lot! It'll be interesting to the see the horn photos.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

picture size

Alter your photo to 600K size instead of typical phone picture size 1.6M. I had trouble until reducing the size. fyi

Hella Horns

I like your horn idea. I added a different new safety features to my 2003 K1200GT.

Being a new rider, I have not figured out the horn. Usually I am too surprised by the other drivers actions for me to do anything other than to brake, swerve, and hold on.

I don't get around to the horn part except when trying to use the left turn signal. Anyway, car doors opening, intersection cut offs, lane switching seem to be on every ride. I have the gloves, boots, bright Orange jacket, full face helmet. Stay away from parked cars, avoid yellow lights, etc.

My new safety feature is to have floppy fog lights. $12 for dual 12vt LED fog lights ebay, I leave them loose. Nothing bugs me more than an old beat up truck or a 18 wheeler truck with a floppy headlight.

Very distracting to me. Bouncing every bump on the highway/road. Anyway, that is my great idea.

Great idea!!!

Every girl must have her earrings...

Even if they look like something from Flashdance......

erring.jpg

Yeah! Have to check those out. So, why do we hide the horn(s) on motorcycles???
    The other problem is your K75, like mine, is too quiet. My neighbors cannot understand why my bike does not make the same amount of noise as the V-twins and crotch rockets.
    2014 R1200 GSA (Property taxes & registration: $309), 1992 K75s (Property taxes & registration: $37)

i use the same horns in my 1975 BMW 2002 (car). they are nice and loud....people don't see small vintage cars on the road either...
    Marshall
    92 K75s
    94 K75s
    09 K1300s

Did you add a relay, or are you running off the old horn circuit?

Quote Originally Posted by guaire View Post
    Thats another story...

But needless to say the circuit is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by guaire View Post
    yes, added relay. the two horns draw more current than the stock meeper.
    Marshall
    92 K75s
    94 K75s
    09 K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by k75s View Post
    So, why do we hide the horn(s) on motorcycles???
    All three of our current Beemers have additional horns.

I keep them under body work to keep the rain and sand out. Even under body work, if pointed the wrong way water and sand will eventually ruin the horn.

A set of FIAMMs Freeway Blasters are relatively inexpensive and the two tone blast works well.

Our 2002 K1200RS has FIAMMs mounted in tandem on the left side, inside the fairing, just in front of the radiator on a bracket I fabricated.