Thread: European vs USA version

European vs USA version

Would someone tell me the difference between a 1996 R1100RS European and USA versions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tycham View Post
    Would someone tell me the difference between a 1996 R1100RS European and USA versions?

Thanks
    One thing is the Euro version does not have a charcoal canister and associated valve and tubing. Also the "cat code plug" (jumper that selects the ECM map from several) is different.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I suspect the differences are just emissions (stuff that Paul mentioned) and lighting (reflectors, headlight control, etc.). Country-specific speedometer, of course. On the RS there was a one-piece seat available that I think was mostly a European thing, but I'm not sure if it was all of them. US models tend to get more options than European ones, so you may be more likely to find bikes over there lacking ABS, RID, heated grips and so forth. Things that were technically options here but became pretty standard.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    I had a Euro/CDN 96 R1100RT. The RT has the same engine as the RS. On that bike the configuration was a yellow cat code plug and a CO trimpot under the left side of the seat. Also there was NO O2 sensor and a factory installed plug cover was installed on the harness plug for the O2 sensor.

I would expect the RS would be the same.
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT