Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1999 R1100RT - Cannot find rear tire size - 170/60R18 (only have size 17)

1999 R1100RT - Cannot find rear tire size - 170/60R18 (only have size 17)

Hi Everyone:

I'm using this forum for the 1st time. I live in Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada and need a rear tire for my 1999 R1100RT bike. I have Metzler Roadtec Z6 tires (size for rear - 160/60 R18. Everywhere I've looked, this 18" is either out of stock or discontinued. I've even tried other tire makes.

Can anyone help me as to where I can get this size (preferably in Ontario, Canada) or who can ship it to Canada? I'm open to riding anywhere within 200 klms of the Toronto area to purchase the tire and have it installed.

Thanks for your help, Linda

I looked at Revzilla. They have the Michelin Pilot Road 3 rear in your size for a close-out price of US$179 and the Metzeler ME880 Marathon XXL for US$166. They may have others, too. I did not query all their choices.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...t-road-3-tires

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...l-custom-tires

Mark
    "Soló el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully some of the northern members will be along to express their experience.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Left Coast Rider
    In Canada.......a couple of brands out of stock but there are at least six for you to choose from and they're all good. Cheap shipping, too!

https://fortnine.ca/en/motorcycle-ti...ring_tires-160

I have to ask, have you tried your dealer?

Tires

Lot of choices in that size on eBay I have to replace same tires in same size soon. eBay listed some off brand guessing Chinese made tire with front and back tires costing a little less than the $179 pilot road 3 rear. I am testing the $56 starter on my 1994 R1100RS, so can someone else try a set of the eBay cheapies and let us know if they are good or bad ( really let us know how bad they are).

RK Ryder
    Call Al or Linda at Zdenos in Kitchener. They have always fitted my bikes with tires, with very decent prices, I might add.

(519)7457010
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Niagara Riders & Knights of the Roundel #333

Contact me and become a Volunteer in Lebanon! rallyvolunteers@bmwmoa.org

Jerry Emhoff
    I bought a 18”Michelin road pilot 3 this summer from Revzilla. I also called Michelin because I wanted to get the RP 4 and was told they aren’t making them in the 4 or 5 in an 18”.
    Winter is coming

I also Just bought the 3's there is not much of a selection for the rear

Any dealer can fix your problem... by selling you a new bike!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Day Dreaming ... happy wanderer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    In Canada.......a couple of brands out of stock but there are at least six for you to choose from and they're all good. Cheap shipping, too!

I have to ask, have you tried your dealer?
    Yep, FortNine is the Canadian solution for motorcycle tires. Once you do the exchange rate math and the shipping, customs and duties from US suppliers you will find that FortNine is not only on par but cheaper in most cases.

Also, they ship your tires to your front door via Canada Post for free and it's quick. Why not buy Canadian?
    MJM - BeeCeeBeemers Motorcycle Club Vancouver B.C.
    '81 R80G/S, '82 R100RS, '00 R1100RT

Quote Originally Posted by happy wanderer View Post
    Yep, FortNine is the Canadian solution for motorcycle tires. Once you do the exchange rate math and the shipping, customs and duties from US suppliers you will find that FortNine is not only on par but cheaper in most cases.

Also, they ship your tires to your front door via Canada Post for free and it's quick. Why not buy Canadian?
    Absolutely agree!!!!!
    They deserve all our business cause they are priced right and they ship your order out FAST! (I am not affiliated in any way, just a happy customer).

18" tires available from Fort Nine include (from $150 to just over $200 CDN):

Avon Storm AV66
    Avon Spirit ST
    Pirelli Angel GT
    Bridgstone Battlax T31
    Michelin Road Pilot 3
    Metzler Roadtec Z8

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by flhfxd View Post
    18" tires available from Fort Nine include (from $150 to just over $200 CDN):

Avon Storm AV66
    Avon Spirit ST
    Pirelli Angel GT
    Bridgstone Battlax T31
    Michelin Road Pilot 3
    Metzler Roadtec Z8

Oddly, that's the same link (with the same six tires) I posted on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Oddly, that's the same link (with the same six tires) I posted on Friday.
    Oops. So it is.....

Give Adrian a call at Ace Mototech in Milton http://www.acemototech.com/home-2.html. Great little shop and someone who knows what customer service is. I bought tires off Adrian this summer and they were cheaper than I could find anywhere else including Fortnine where I buy lots of stuff. Adrian and his technician Antonio treat your bike like it is there own. When I went to get my tires installed he called Antonio out who would be working on my bike, introduced him to me, reviewed everything need to work.

The next time I used Adrian was a month later when I was an idiot and grabbed the wrong socket and got it stuck trying to change the spark plugs . After several days of trying all the ideas and advice here I called Adrian, explained the situation and dropped my bike off. Adrian helped me unload it, and then he and Antonio looked it over and talked to me about there thoughts on how to tackle the job. I live a couple hours away but they accommodated my request about dropping my trailer in the morning as I was going to be in meetings all day and meeting them at the end of the day. Adrian asked me how quickly I needed it back as they were slammed and I told them take your time. A few days later I got a call saying they were going to try it that weekend. A few days after that I got the call I was waiting for that they got the socket out. While they were in there I had them adjust the valve clearances, change the oil and spark plugs and install my engine protectors. I expected to be well over a grand, but to my surprise the bill was only six hundred dollars cdn, taxes on. Adrian and Antonio explained how they got it off, and the vocabulary they learned while trying to remove it. While there Adrian shared some tips about working on my bike, encouraged me to continue to adjust valve clearances myself, etc.

Needless to say I am a huge fan of Adrian and Antonio. I have no affiliation with them, just an extremely satisfied customer. Well worth giving a Adrian a call to see if he has tires in stock that will fit your bike.
    2005 R1200RT
    Brian