• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Starting Problems 2000 r1100rs

mhallman

So twice in the past three weeks (I ride every day) I've had an issue getting the bike cranked - I pushed the start button (cold engine), the engine turned over fine but didn't start. Every subsequent time I hit the starter, the engine turned over for about a second and stopped. On the fifth or sixth try, it cranked up and all was well.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Seems to be a symptom of something I'm afraid is on its way to getting worse.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like fuel delivery.

Joe

If it was simply fuel delivery, why would it have this symptom: "Every subsequent time I hit the starter, the engine turned over for about a second and stopped."?

I would attach a volt meter to the battery and observe the voltage while cranking. Let us know what you observe.

Paul, I checked the voltage during start-up and it looked good. Went down into the mid 11 range cranking and up to around 14 when started. It cranked right up this morning.

Anton, I'm guessing the starter is original. I bought the bike last year with about 62,000 miles on it. The connections seemed to be secure.

Couple of things come to mind here.
- One is to remove the battery and starter connections, clean them till you see shiny metal and reassemble. I do this every two years minimum on all the bikes to make sure corrosion is not setting in. Just because the feel OK does not mean they are OK somtimes.
- Two is that the starters fill up with clutch dust and the solenoid plungers get gummed up and stick. Same goes for the Bendix gear and that assembly. Removing the starter for a thorough cleaning might be in order.

The starter itself may also just be wearing out?

So twice in the past three weeks (I ride every day) I've had an issue getting the bike cranked - I pushed the start button (cold engine), the engine turned over fine but didn't start. Every subsequent time I hit the starter, the engine turned over for about a second and stopped. On the fifth or sixth try, it cranked up and all was well.

Any thoughts on what's going on? Seems to be a symptom of something I'm afraid is on its way to getting worse.

Thanks in advance.

This sounds exactly like what happens when the internal gear cover falls onto the armature. At times it shorts the armature and at times it doesn’t, leading to your intermittent symptoms. It happens often on Oilheads.

Pull the starter, clean and inspect it and you’ll know right away.

Back