• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Heated grips question

flhfxd

1999 RT. Both high and low settings on the hand grips produce lower than normal heat. I haven't gotten stuck into this yet and likely won't until I winterize the bike but is this a common occurrence on these bikes?
Thx

In hindsight, I think these grips are functioning normally. Now that the air temp has dropped I can feel good effect of heat on both low and high setting. I had suspected possible low voltage / low power but warmer outside air temps likely skewed my perception.

Got my Oilhead in 2009, just before leaving for the Johnson City Rally (and didn't bother to read the manual). On the way home, wearing thin summer gloves, thought I'd try the heated grips. After awhile they became painfully hot so I turned them off, to receive no relief from their heat. I kept moving the rocker switch position with no success. Finally there was a scenic lookout pull over area where I was able to haul out the manual and the look up the operation of the grips. I learned that off was the middle position for the rocker switch and I had unknownly been simply alternating between high and low heat. Never made thar mistake again! :banghead

I rode a new GS1200 at the BMW Performance Center this past weekend. It rained all day so the heated grips at least warmed the water that had soaked my gloves. The new ones only have hot and Nuclear... which was the choice I took. Wish my 850 had them..

I rode a new GS1200 at the BMW Performance Center this past weekend. It rained all day so the heated grips at least warmed the water that had soaked my gloves. The new ones only have hot and Nuclear... which was the choice I took. Wish my 850 had them..

And....what did you think of the 1200?

Grips

As a sidenote, I bought a new pair of BMW Gore-Tex gloves and they got soaked in all day rain. Contacted Gore-Tex and they inquired whether I had my heated grips on.

I did, and they stated that's why they leaked.

I got caught in a downpour sometime later. Same gloves, Same bike (2004 RT). Left the grips off and they were bone dry.

hmmmmm

Back