• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1996 R1100GS Side Stand Length

gotfog

1996 Side stand
I need to change the length of my 1996 R1100Gs Side stand. The original design is too short for my liking. I have perused several previous threads on the issue, some dating back almost 10 years. Yes, I understand the Hockey puck and Foot pad enlarger, but I really want the longer stand.

I know they redesigned the stand in 1998, but beyond the square foot pad, I find no other specifics about length, angle, etc.

So, for those that know these details, here are my questions:

1. What is the length of the redesigned R1100GS Side Stand? This from 1998 on, and is currently listed as part number 46 53 2 335 555

2. Will an 1150 GS or GSADV side stand fit the 1100GS mount?
If so what are the respective lengths?

There are separate part numbers for the 1150GS versus the 1150GSA
1150GS: part number 46 53 2 335 787
1150GSADV: part number 46 53 7 665 503

Thanks for any insights,

The safety switches connect to the stands in different ways between the 1100 and the 1150, but that may not mean that the stands won't mount the same way to the bike. AFAIK both have the same blade and bushing design. The 1100 stand has a top bolt and the 1150 has a countersunk bottom bolt. You might be able to shorten the 1150 bolt to allow the 1100 switch to mount to the top.

Or maybe it won't work at all.

You could lengthen it. Stack a wood block or two under it until it’s how you want it. If you don’t weld, you could have it prepped for a welder and the charge should be minimal.
I shortened both stands on the F800GS when I took 2” out of the suspension, your just going in the other direction.
OM

One year follow up

This is how I eventually solved the too-short tippy Side stand on the original R1100GS. Well to be honest, I didn't solve it, Woody of Woody's Wheels in Colorado solved it. Here is the story:

A year ago Sept/Oct 18 I took an extended trip on my GS, loaded with gear. It has always been a bit tipsy, causing me to be meticulous in parking spot selection. I had to have a slight uphill slope, to my left, to counter the effects of too short a sidestand and the effects of gravity. With a heavily loaded bike, it was not just sufficient to find the correct slope, it was necessary.

Even still, I had two fails during the trip, this one captured:
View attachment 76035

After some research, Woody had a solution I liked, and had him rework my sidestand. He cuts the end off, welds a sturdy bolt to the pad side, mills the other end, to make an adjustable length stand. Magic number seems to be to add about 1.5 inches to the length, to get around a 10 degree lean angle.
Here are the before and after shots:
View attachment 76036

View attachment 76037

After 1 year of use, I have to say it was a worthy investment, not having the bike tippy for the first time in a long time, was wonderful. Having the ability to tweak the length nice too. But, I find I have it set now and think rarely of it. If anything I tend to set it too long, such that the bike is just slightly off center, with very little stress being applied to the bracket and bearing mount assembly.

View attachment 76039

The only drawback, if you want to nit-pick, is the length of stand is such that the metal pad on the end now touches the bottom of the Cat Converter/exhaust pipe in the up position. I have found no long term ill effects of this arrangement, other than the annoying "clank" if I mindlessly slap the side-stand into the up position.

Hope this might help others.

I did the same on my 1150GS
Bigfoot was added on install

Attachments

• Adjustable sidestand.jpg
    Adjustable sidestand.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20191029_204513.jpg
    20191029_204513.jpg
    638.7 KB · Views: 80
Back