Thread: New fuel labeling in Europe come in effect Oct 12

New fuel labeling in Europe come in effect Oct 12

Expect new labeling on fuel pumps and cars throughout Europe to appear soon. What it means for us motorcyclists, E5 is your Super 95 (Regular gasoline 95 RON), E10 is your Super 95 + 10% Ethanol. They don't say anything about premium fuels.

7f9042e7a04446e86674d208abf.png

Changes in fuel labeling throughout the European Union

EU Directive 2014/94 /EU of the European Parliament and of the Council will enter into force in October this year. The new fuel labeling system will appear at petrol stations in the Community and on vehicles.
    New labels
    In October this year, old labeling will disappear from the gas stations and new symbols will appear:

E5, E10 and E85 for gasoline (in a circle),

B7, B10 and XTL for diesel fuel (in square),

H2 (hydrogen), CNG (compressed natural gas), LPG (liquefied petroleum gas) and LNG (liquefied natural gas)
    https://trans.info/en/changes-in-fue...an-union-99957
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Sad to see the EU buying into the same delusional corn gas regimen that is in place in the US. Not the first time that some segments of the current EU have seen a dependence upon alcohols for fuel.

Is EU ethanol domestically produced or are they importing it from the US?

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    Sad to see the EU buying into the same delusional corn gas regimen that is in place in the US. Not the first time that some segments of the current EU have seen a dependence upon alcohols for fuel.

Is EU ethanol domestically produced or are they importing it from the US?

Best,
    DG
    Yes, I started seeing E10 a lot over the last few years. During my trip last summer, I saw more of the E10 than the years before. Some smaller station had only E10. From what I understand they produce most of what they use and import the rest.

A quick google search gave me this document: European renewable ethanol – key figures 2017
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Thanks, thats a useful document. Just as with similar documentation Ive seen in the US, their carbon emissions claims and petroleum reduction estimates need to be taken with a hefty dose of skepticism, since they omit or overlook emissions generated in production of precursor materials like corn. And Id guess that Europe, especially Eastern Europe, still has a lot of older vehicles and equipment in useall of them susceptible to alcohol damage like weve seen in the US. Factors like those dont seem to be routinely included in calculations on the economics of ethanol fuels.

Best,
    DG
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S PD 1993 R100GS 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    the economics of ethanol fuels.

Best,
    DG
    I think the economics of ethanol fuel is that agri-business can grow corn cheaply and don't have to worry about it being edible. With subsidies and lobbying the ethanol producers, agri-business farming, have pushed an agenda to benefit themselves.
    This is my opinion which is probably not worth much, maybe 2 cents.
    Walter

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under.
    H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by WalterK75 View Post
    I think the economics of ethanol fuel is that agri-business can grow corn cheaply and don't have to worry about it being edible. With subsidies and lobbying the ethanol producers, agri-business farming, have pushed an agenda to benefit themselves.
    This is my opinion which is probably not worth much, maybe 2 cents.
    Politically connected big campaign donors pushing an agenda to benefit themeselves? I'm shocked, shocked!, I tell you, at the very idea of such a thing.
    2016 R1200 GSA