Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Battery failure question on Wetheads

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Oh. OK. Thank you.
    "Solů el que ensaya lo absurdo es capaz de conquistar lo imposible." Miguel de Unamuno 1905

Mark - Las Cruces, NM - '10 K1300S and '17 R1200 GSA

I donít know if bmw has problems with the batteries theyíre delivering in the Wetheads, mine is only a year old but itís fine. I did learn on my Oilheads, each running Odyssey AGM batteries, that one of the keys to long battery life is keeping it fully charged.

Although the Oilheadís alternator wonít fully charge a PC680 it can be modified to do so. The Wetheadís alternator is correct for AGM batteries. The same is true for a battery maintainer, it must have the right charging voltages, if not youíll do more harm than good.

I searched and canít find any voltage specs on the Diehard WiFi nor do I see an AGM mode (and itís not in the approved list for Odyssey) so I wouldnít use it without measuring its charging and holding voltages first.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    All of the newer bikes are running pretty small batteries that are asked to do a lot. Sure there are advances in battery technology but Iím not sure there is advances in battery quality control during the manufacturing process.

Sometimes you gets good one, sometimes an okay one and sometimes crap.

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...died-yesterday

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

I now have a 2016 1200RT & my battery will drag if I let it sit for a week or so. My last bike I put in a lithium battery & will probably do so again. Not sure why the 1200 batteries don't seem to last long? Could be a higher compression = harder cranking = higher strain on a battery?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsguns View Post
    I now have a 2016 1200RT & my battery will drag if I let it sit for a week or so. My last bike I put in a lithium battery & will probably do so again. Not sure why the 1200 batteries don't seem to last long? Could be a higher compression = harder cranking = higher strain on a battery?
    I have had this unit (https://tecmate.com/products/optimate6a/) for a few years. When my 2008 RT was not being ridden or on a long trip, it was connected by a SAE pigtail to this unit. For the past 3.5 years and 31,000 miles my 2015 RT has had the battery maintained under the same conditions. A friend who is a chemical engineer has told me that the key number for a battery is the Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF), and that what I'm doing makes no difference, however. YMMV, as we say.
    John Gamel
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    BMW CCA 2006 - Present; BMW MOA 2009-Present
    Walt Kelly: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

40 months on my 15RT battery, no issues other than the though of a dead battery on a ride
    Rocky Mountain Motorsports YUASA AGM $99 bucks and free shipping, did I say jump starting a bike can be a pain

When I need a charger for an AGM battery I use this list: http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...V_chargers.pdf

A call to the dealer indicated that I was out of warranty by about six months (batteries in new bikes are covered for two years). For now, I went ahead and ordered a Westco battery from Beemerboneyard. It's got 220 CCA, vs. 200 CCA on the stock battery and it ran about $115. My next one, when I have more extensive funds, will probably be a Lithium-Ion like a Shorai. Thanks for all the responses!
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW