• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Spline lube

burnbender

Hey guys, it's time to do a spline lube this off season. Central illinois is not condusive, at least for me, to year round riding. I'm going to use the lube from Beemer Boneyard, Gaurd Dog I believe. My question is, is it alright to use the same lube for drive shaft splines and is it necessary to do those splines at the 38000 mark?

Hey guys, it's time to do a spline lube this off season. Central illinois is not condusive, at least for me, to year round riding. I'm going to use the lube from Beemer Boneyard, Gaurd Dog I believe. My question is, is it alright to use the same lube for drive shaft splines and is it necessary to do those splines at the 38000 mark?

The driveshaft splines are quite robust. However, corrosion can be an issue so fresh lube is a good idea anytime the shaft is apart.

Thanks Paul, between you and GS I have learned a great deal. I was thinking to save time I might just pull the drive train intact. Do you feel an inspection is warrented. After all the bike is nearly 16 years old and has 38000 miles.:banghead

Paul, didn't you suggest a 50/50 mix of Guard Dog and Moly 60?

No. My home chemistry was a 50-50 mix of Honda Moly 60 and Wurth Sig 3000. The end result was a really sticky paste with about 30% moly by volume. The Guard Dog product was/is also a really sticky paste with 30% moly by volume so with the Guard Dog no mixing is needed.

Hey Burn - I think the best solution would be to pull the drive train and send the whole thing to Paul....I don't think he has enough to do since it started raining so much in TX!!

Back