Thread: Spline lube

Question Spline lube

Hey guys, it's time to do a spline lube this off season. Central illinois is not condusive, at least for me, to year round riding. I'm going to use the lube from Beemer Boneyard, Gaurd Dog I believe. My question is, is it alright to use the same lube for drive shaft splines and is it necessary to do those splines at the 38000 mark?

Quote Originally Posted by burnbender View Post
    Hey guys, it's time to do a spline lube this off season. Central illinois is not condusive, at least for me, to year round riding. I'm going to use the lube from Beemer Boneyard, Gaurd Dog I believe. My question is, is it alright to use the same lube for drive shaft splines and is it necessary to do those splines at the 38000 mark?
    The driveshaft splines are quite robust. However, corrosion can be an issue so fresh lube is a good idea anytime the shaft is apart.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Spline lube

Thanks Paul, between you and GS I have learned a great deal. I was thinking to save time I might just pull the drive train intact. Do you feel an inspection is warrented. After all the bike is nearly 16 years old and has 38000 miles.

Paul, didn't you suggest a 50/50 mix of Guard Dog and Moly 60?
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2016 R1200GSW

Quote Originally Posted by beemermyke View Post
    Paul, didn't you suggest a 50/50 mix of Guard Dog and Moly 60?
    No. My home chemistry was a 50-50 mix of Honda Moly 60 and Wurth Sig 3000. The end result was a really sticky paste with about 30% moly by volume. The Guard Dog product was/is also a really sticky paste with 30% moly by volume so with the Guard Dog no mixing is needed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/