Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 75 year old noob

Quote Originally Posted by akbeemer View Post
    At age 75 I think being considered a noob is a bit misleading. How about being known as "New Old Stock"?

Are you one of those "Alberta Clippers" that comes roaring down I-5 while evidently miscalculating the conversion of miles to kilometers? By the way the convesion is, miles times 1.6, not times 16. Welcome. We live 7 miles of I-15 north of Helena.
    Hi Ak
    I have been down I-15 many times by car and Motor home but not by bike (yet). I could never get up to 60x16 no matter how hard I tried. Sometime I will tell you about my first experience in Helena.
    Bill

At age 75 I think being considered a noob is a bit misleading. How about being known as "New Old Stock"?

Are you one of those "Alberta Clippers" that comes roaring down I-5 while evidently miscalculating the conversion of miles to kilometers? By the way the convesion is, miles times 1.6, not times 16. Welcome. We live 7 miles of I-15 north of Helena.
    Thats me but I have never been able to get quite up to 60x16 in my Mo-Ho

I'm 61 and a half, and the 2nd thing I do now to a used bike is change tires that are older than 5 years, no matter what they look like. The 1st is make sure the brakes work properly.
    Bill
    We are all here for a spell, get all the good laughs you can.
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by tanker4me View Post
    ...the 2nd thing I do now to a used bike is change tires that are older than 5 years, no matter what they look like.

Bill
    A 2010 study done for NTSB found a "...dramatic increase in (tire) failures after six years" even if lightly used. The most likely failure mode was catastrophic delamination / tread separation, leading to loss of control, flipping & rolling, etc. Evidently radials have additional longevity challenges due to their internal configuration.

The study didn't include motorcycle tires, but indicated that tires of styles & types the manufacturer didn't think would be in service that long were likely to contain fewer expensive anti-aging additive compounds, making them more likely to fail earlier. I'm betting that would include motorcycle tires. Doubly so, given that the study indicates that higher-heat uses are likely to fail even sooner. I know my bike tires can get pretty hot if I've picked the right roads.

I recently learned this the hard way, fortunately not on a motorcycle, but at speed, about 0.1 mile into the beginning of a 2-mile-long freeway bridge with no shoulder, at rush hour, on 7-year-old tires with only about 15,00 miles on them. Anybody know how to iron pucker creases out of car upholstery?
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

Yup that could have been me.