• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F310 Shifting Issues - Fixed

pglaves

I read somewhere - this forum or elsewhere - where some folks were encountering a downshift issue on their G310. Specifically, downshifts from 2nd to 1st, or even 2nd to neutral were resulting in the display of a dash on the gear display, and then uncertain engagement into 1st or neutral.

Soon after reading about this I encountered the exact same symptoms. Half the time I might hit 1st but at least half the time I was in a false neutral. I assumed I would have a warranty transmission repair, probably when I took the bike in for the kickstand recall.

So today I was sitting beside the bike preparing to lubricate the chain. It was in gear so I needed to shift it into to neutral to be able to turn the wheel to lube the chain. When I shifted it into neutral I noticed that the shift lever on the transmission shift shaft seemed loose. It wasn't loose enough to "turn" on the shaft but it did wobble on the shaft. This served to shorten the rotation of the shaft even with full motion of the pedal.

I cleaned things up a bit and tightened the clamping bolt (capscrew) that pinches this lever on the shaft. Then I went for a test ride. With about 25 2nd to 1st downshifts I could not replicate the problem. I call it fixed.

If you have experienced this problem - or even if you haven't yet - I recommend you make sure the shift lever on the transmission shift shaft is tight.

Added: Taking my own advice I checked the lever arm on the shift shaft on Voni's 310. It too was loose. Just a little loose. Not as much as mine had been. I tightened it too.

Last edited:
They need to up the air pressure to their air wratchet:banghead. Kidding folks:wave

Wonky shift linkage does cause fits, glad to hear issue/ solution

Or maybe the clamping bolts are backing out.

The clamping bolt was difficult to turn on both bikes, leading me to believe they may have been not tight enough from the start. I need to take the lever off and check to see if I can detect wear on the lever ID or on the shaft.

Last edited:
Back